What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

I wanted to tried my hand at a quick bombastic track mockup, so I went with recreating "Don't Be Afraid" from the Final Fantasy VIII original soundtrack :

It's a quick rundown of the piece, I'm not used to orchestrating already existing pieces, and I'm not sold on what I've done with the very fast brass/winds staccatos, I think I should have went with a blend of multitongue and staccatos.

Everything is Mix1 except long strings which might have had some spills and amb mics added, some short brass like trumpets are Mix2 too I think.

There are some additional compressors and light EQs, no external reverb.

And here's the wav if you can't stand what Soundcloud does to sound : https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3pnhh37p90d4jo/Don%27t%20Be%20Afraid%20-%20BBCSO%20Orchestral%20Mockup%20Test.wav?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3pnhh37p90d4jo/Don't Be Afraid - BBCSO Orchestral Mockup Test.wav?dl=0)

Last edited:
I've read on different threads that SF will be selling BBCSO at the intro price during BF. I don't see that on their website.

Just wanted to update for those interested that I recently got delivery of the new 16" MacBook Pro.
8-core i9 with 64GB RAM (I need it to work remotely on a project in the spring).

it loaded all Christians Satie project in 1 min and 25 seconds. Thats the time from clicking on the project (including Logic opening) and all samples loaded in to RAM...85 seconds.

BBCSO 1.0.5 and Logic Pro 10.4.7. Samples are on a Samsung external SSD via USB-C.

It ran flawlessly with no dropouts on 128 sample buffer. Every thread happily sitting around 15%. Absolutely incredible machine. It blows my main machine (iMac 2013 Quad core i5) out of the water and I'm genuinely consdering for the first time just using my MacBook Pro as my main machine.

Great to hear the new MBP handles this without a sweat! Contemplating upgrading to that (or the 2019 iMac, but only 2 TB3 ports on that).

Yeah, do what?

He has a nice living room space, I liked his table lamp too. Nice setup.
Other than that, it was a friendly guy talking about something I've yet to see?

In your BBC template, do have all of the other articulations (within a given instance) trashed? I can load up every instrument just fine on my MB Pro using this method.

no not currently. its all the articulations as they come straight out of box"

And really want to keep that the case if at all possible.

Just wanted to update for those interested that I recently got delivery of the new 16" MacBook Pro.
8-core i9 with 64GB RAM (I need it to work remotely on a project in the spring).

it loaded all Christians Satie project in 1 min and 25 seconds. Thats the time from clicking on the project (including Logic opening) and all samples loaded in to RAM...85 seconds.

BBCSO 1.0.5 and Logic Pro 10.4.7. Samples are on a Samsung external SSD via USB-C.

It ran flawlessly with no dropouts on 128 sample buffer. Every thread happily sitting around 15%. Absolutely incredible machine. It blows my main machine (iMac 2013 Quad core i5) out of the water and I'm genuinely consdering for the first time just using my MacBook Pro as my main machine.
Did you get the 5500M with 8GB of VRAM? If yes, why? If not, also why?

Do what? You haven't used it so how do you know it is going to work any better or worse? Basically looks like a custom sample player - just like Spitfire's.

Did you watch the video or are you just blindly making that statement?

The two they talked about so far that interest me are:

Mic Merging, so instead of having to load up multiple RAM hungry mic positions you can find your mix and render it as a new, baked in, custom mic mix....where can I do that in the Spitfire player?

Downloading only the instruments and mics you need meaning you can get going quickly....can the spitfire downloader do that yet?

Now what are some things that the Spitfire player is doing that I can not already do in this or Kontakt? Other than give me a fuck ton of time to think my purchasing decisions.

OT are clearly looking at ways to make the lives of composers easier. From the outset it looks like a composer focused attempt at a player. And when he said in the video its laying the ground work for future innovation, I actually believe him, OT tend not to promise the moon and stars for what ends up being another average library.

So yes that's the way you do it, unless you are actively trying not to see how these actual innovations or a good thing for you as a composer.

-DJ

Could not agree more Mr DJ. I am really excited to see this in the flesh, though I’m not sure that Junkie XL bras is quite my thang....

(edit: or even the brass for that matter...)

I’m particularly interestEd to see how it handles system resources, particularly with the Berlin Capsule libraries as in Kontakt they can be, ahem, a little demanding.

However, if they really want the Nobel Prize for sample libraries, wouldn’t it be fabulous if they managed to balance the instruments together unlike the Kontakt versions, where the levels are a little more, erm, uncivilised.

I am looking forward to exploring Sine over the Christmas break, if they hopefully have transferred some of the back catalogue over.

Did you watch the video or are you just blindly making that statement?

Are you blindly accusing me of not watching it? Of course I did. The person I quoted made a vague statement (Though obviously a slight against Spitfire since they came to this thread to post it) and as we’ve all learned, it remains to be seen what performance is like. The things you like about it are not particularly interesting to me as bandwidth speeds are very high these days and will only get higher, and hard drive space is extremely inexpensive, as is RAM (so many of us are running at least 64GB). The thing that IS interesting is the auto-leveling feature but I don’t know what Spitfire or Play or any of these other engines are doing under the hood. Same goes for Kontakt scripting. And above all, it remains to be seen how it actually performs and if it makes a noticeable difference to the sound.

Perhaps put your very apparent biases aside for a second and you can also see that Spitfire recording an entire orchestra and making it available for < $1k is helping composers.

And OT have had their fair share of big launches of what turned out to be disappointing products.

Last edited:
Are you blindly me accusing me of not watching it? Of course I did. The person I quoted made a vague statement (Though obviously a slight against Spitfire since they came to this thread to post it) and as we’ve all learned, it remains to be seen what performance is like. The things you like about it are not particularly interesting to me as bandwidth speeds are very high these days and will only get higher, and hard drive space is extremely inexpensive, as is RAM (so many of us are running at least 64GB). The thing that IS interesting is the auto-leveling feature but I don’t know what Spitfire or Play or any of these other engines are doing under the hood. Same goes for Kontakt scripting. And above all, it remains to be seen how it actually performs and if it makes a noticeable difference to the sound.

Perhaps put your very apparent biases aside for a second and you can also see that Spitfire recording an entire orchestra and making it available for < $1k is helping composers.

And OT have had their fair share of big launches of what turned out to be disappointing products.

what disappointing products?

New collections up?..
Gold for 5k..
I'm starting to think they just take their customers for complete idiots with too much money to spend..
(Could be a reasonable assumption..)

Did you get the 5500M with 8GB of VRAM? If yes, why? If not, also why?

I just got the basic graphics card. Upgrading the CPU and RAM was about as much of the Apple tax as I could bear and I'm not using it for any video production of any kind so its more than enough for me. It's very snappy and havent noticed any graphical issues of any kind.

Top Bottom