What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Listening through the videos once more, it sure sounds like the number of velocity layers is on the low side throughout. Timbrally the strings go from piano to forte, but not above or below. That is audible not only in the legato demo, but in the spiccato demo as well I am afraid. In the brass video, it was the same. Some very beautiful sounds in the piano range that will be great to have. But the lowest and the highest dynamics seemed to be missing. To my ears the cuivré articulation didn’t help, as it, curiously, didn’t go above forte either. I can’t double check until the video is re-uploaded though.
So far, I am most taken by the bits of the woodwinds that we heard, and the timpani as well. These sounded fantastic. Some of the brass was beautiful. So, it looks to me like there will be plenty of gorgeous material in this library. However, going by the walkthroughs, they did not capture enough dynamic layers and short articulations for me personally. Mind you, the amount that is included is still stunning, especially considering the price. What’s there sounds top notch too. However, if it was the only library I had, I feel that its limitations would be frustrating to me.
If the woodwinds and percussion are all that they promise to be by the bits I heard so far, I might get the library just for those sections, plus some of the brass.

Listening through the videos once more, it sure sounds like the number of velocity layers is on the low side throughout. Timbrally the strings go from piano to forte, but not above or below. That is audible not only in the legato demo, but in the spiccato demo as well I am afraid. In the brass video, it was the same. Some very beautiful sounds in the piano range that will be great to have. But the lowest and the highest dynamics seemed to be missing. To my ears the cuivré articulation didn’t help, as it, curiously, didn’t go above forte either. I can’t double check until the video is re-uploaded though.
So far, I am most taken by the bits of the woodwinds that we heard, and the timpani as well. These sounded fantastic. Some of the brass was beautiful. So, it looks to me like there will be plenty of gorgeous material in this library. However, going by the walkthroughs, they did not capture enough dynamic layers and short articulations for me personally. Mind you, the amount that is included is still stunning, especially considering the price. What’s there sounds top notch too. However, if it was the only library I had, I feel that its limitations would be frustrating to me.
If the woodwinds and percussion are all that they promise to be by the bits I heard so far, I might get the library just for those sections, plus some of the brass.
Brass walktrough is online again.

BBCSO Pro? 🤞

Although that might hurt the collaborative approach. I would definitely be interested in either an expanded Pro version, or future Expantions. I think it sounds great, but I really need extremes of dynamics. I do have other libraries that could compensate but was looking forward to the plug and play approach of this library.

I don't believe making the "ultimate mockup tool" has been Spitfire's goal for some time now and the BBSO seems to be following that approach with the emphasis on mics etc.

And actually, I think Spitfire are right to do so. I'm only making an assumption but I bet most "real world" use cases for orchestral libraries right now is in some sort of media project, mixed with other sounds and musical styles. There must be a vanishingly small number of users who actually need to create ultra realistic mockups on a daily basis.

Whilst my daily driver is library music, when I do get to score a short film and require orchestral sounds, there's never the time or need to break out every voice and fettle 8 dynamic layers. That's why stuff like Albion ONE is so popular. I think that's the area where this library is aimed: Composers who want an easy to use orchestra on hand when a project requires some orchestra juice, hence the emphasis on common articulations, mics and surround rather than 13 dynamic layers and 47 round robins.

That said, in the right hands (Andy Blaney) this library is capable of some devastatingly good "pure orchestra" music. I reckon BBCSO is going to hit the sweet spot for an enormous amount of people. That Spitfire rabble know what they're doing.

Last edited:
For me the absence of FF would be significant, it's not a dynamic which is rarely used and it has nothing to do with modern scores either. And the lack of it would - to me - defeat the purpose of the library as a "universal starting point". If BBCSO averages around 3 layers, we would hardly need 8 (or 13) layers to get FF, Alex. No one is asking for that. Imagine telling a composer you can't write for very loud. Albion should hardly be the measure here, I doubt Albion is popular precisely because it has a tough time doing loud stuff.

For me the absence of FF would be significant, it's not a dynamic which is rarely used and it has nothing to do with modern scores either. And the lack of it would - to me - defeat the purpose of the library as a "universal starting point". If BBCSO averages around 3 layers, we would hardly need 8 (or 13) layers to get FF, Alex. No one is asking for that. Imagine telling a composer you can't write for very loud. Albion should hardly be the measure here, I doubt Albion is popular precisely because it has a tough time doing loud stuff.
When I say 13 layers, I'm being facetious - hopefully that was clear. ;)

I don't wish to start pin-pointing what BBCSO can (or can't do) - I haven't listened deeply enough to the videos to know either way. The wider point I'm trying to make is that the library probably won't cover every dynamic base and articulation by design. As always, it's up to the user to decide if his or her bases are covered. I'm sure VI control is ready and waiting to pick apart all the details. ;)

When I say 13 layers, I'm being facetious - hopefully that was clear. ;)
Obviously, but let us be honest here, it is one extra dynamic they would need. Just one! I'd rather have a few less articulations (to hell with the bartok pizz or the sul tastos) and better dynamics. The whole cuivre articulation as a separate patch is also weird.

I don't wish to start pin-pointing what BBCSO can (or can't do) - I haven't listened deeply enough to the videos to know either way. The wider point I'm trying to make is that the library probably won't cover every dynamic base and articulation by design. As always, it's up to the user to decide if his or her bases are covered. I'm sure VI control is ready and waiting to pick apart all the details. ;)
I'm still getting it as it sounds great, but at this day and age not having ff in a modern library would be a sin as far as I am concerned. Covering all the most-used dynamics is a necessity. Owning BBCSO should not make me need to use other libraries! Wasn't that the whole point? I'm guessing this is also the reason the SFA guys are sidestepping the issue of clearing up which dynamics were recorded.

I can't really wade too far into the debate about the library specifics as I've only skimmed the videos, stopping occasionally to mutter "that sounds nice." 😎

I'll only say that everyone's individual idea of what any given library "should do" is always the core of most arguments. Really, all we can do is is listen and decide if the sound and features on offer match up to what our composer goals are and buy accordingly. I'm absolutely not referring to anyone in this thread, but it's this reality that's often ignored on the forum.

Given the amount of content here (essentially 6 libraries), for 750 euros, it's just not possible to do 4-5 velocity layers. If BBCSO doesn't do it for you, Synchron strings has 5-8 dynamic layers, but costs about 5 times as much.
I guess that would depends on a lot of things we don't know (such as the nature of the agreement with the BBC and costs). And it also depends on how you spread time and budget. As I wrote just a moment ago, I'd rather have a more accurate representation of dynamics. Not more articulations which are rarely used. And you don't need Synchron level of detail to include ff.

Well. Why don't any developers make round robins for sustain, legato patches and other long articulations? Why only for short ones? Can anyone answer?
It does occur from time to time. 4xRR for longer marcatos is fairly common, Spitfire's Alternative Solo Strings has 2xRR for the longs, 8dio Adagio introduced recorded legato roundrobin and Embertone's woodwinds do borrowed round robin for legatos (using transposed samples for the same interval transition between neighboring notes). What it comes down to for the most part is maintaining a balance between your target mockup realism (where the machine gun effect isn't usually much of an issue outside of short articulations) and the library cost and system requirements.

And what's about repeated notes? Ability to perform a rearticulation
of the same note. I am watching many developers for some reason ignore this important and integral part in musical instruments. This should be basic. In the case of strings this must be achieved by the players performing a re-bowing of the same note. For brass and woodwinds, it is a re-tonguing of the
same note. The only place you can see it on the market is the Cinematic Studio Series. All instruments in the Cinematic Studio Series range include this feature, across multiple dynamics and with 3 x Round Robins. Again, instead of a scripted emulation, you’re actually hearing a sampled performance.

It's a shame that in other libraries, and also excellent spitfire libraries, this function is missed🙁

Last edited:
Obviously, but let us be honest here, it is one extra dynamic they would need. Just one! I'd rather have a few less articulations (to hell with the bartok pizz or the sul tastos) and better dynamics. The whole cuivre articulation as a separate patch is also weird.

I'm still getting it as it sounds great, but at this day and age not having ff in a modern library would be a sin as far as I am concerned. Covering all the most-used dynamics is a necessity. Owning BBCSO should not make me need to use other libraries! Wasn't that the whole point? I'm guessing this is also the reason the SFA guys are sidestepping the issue of clearing up which dynamics were recorded.
"Owning BBCSO should not make me need to use other libraries!"
That's the point exactly! And that's why I'm a little sad.

Holy Hell...I had to stop watching the brass walkthrough half way because I was getting really disappointed that I won't be able to take advantage of any of their sales for this library any time soon...but man, the brass is awesome and exactly what I was looking for in terms of sound. So far, if you use nothing else besides strings and brass, the price for this library is well worth it...it's like getting the rest for free.

Great work @Spitfire Team

Top Bottom