What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

It's going to be 4 different plug ins by the looks of things?..
That's good anyway.. not too gone on the preset scrolling/saving in the spitfire plugin..

Seems like we are in the same boat @Pixelpoet1985. These are exactly the two points that did not convince me so far: the timbral range of the strings, and the fast legatos. All the rest sounds really nice.

I’m a little concerned about the fast legato myself. It sounds like notes may be slightly overlapping each other on fast passages, which sounds unrealistic. I noticed it in the Blaney demo. The runs sounded kind of programmed.

I’m hoping for a good demo of the library doing runs. The rest of the library sounds fantastic. It has a certain separation between the various instruments that I haven’t really heard much from other libraries. Overall, I think it’s going to be a great product to have.

Reactions: AEF
Nice tone, but I'm surprised how quiet these instruments sound with the mod wheel maxed out.

I'd think it's to preserve the consistency between sections, since, according to the walkthrough, the strings also aren't putting out a high level and the brass is quite a bit further back.

1569524171104-png.22784

Did they take the video down? I could have sworn I saw it on YouTube but now its gone and the link posted above doesn’t work. Damn it, was very much looking forward to the brass video.

Maybe they realized the panning is reversed and they fix it before reuploading?

Yeah when I watched it a the beginning it was clipping on the right channel looking at Paul's meter but I could hear it clip on my left monitor so I also wondered that

The audio was flipped, and I thought I noticed a contrabass trombone playing when it was supposed to be a contrabass tuba. Taken down for a little more editing, probably.

As for the lower levels, and splitting the top cuivre layer into its own patch, I actually really like that. Maybe it has to do with the BBCSO being, well, a symphony orchestra, rather than a session group. They don't necessarily play with the more hyped dynamics that have become common in media music recording, and I'm all for that in this seemingly more classically orchestral context.

The warmth and blend that allows is well worth it, as evidenced by many recordings, or by what Cinesamples did with 90's Retro Trumpets.

Was it mentioned anywhere which dynamics were recorded? For USD 999 I was wondering where corners were cut.
If you watch the voice count in the walk through videos, right at the start of a phrase that he plays, you can see the number of layers used for the patch. The long brass patches have a voice count of 3 plus the cuivre makes 4 dynamic layers which should be good to capture the various timbral changes.
For the strings it will be harder to estimate the layers since the instruments have vibrato control. If we assume a recorded nonvibrato and vibrato per layer we may estimate the dynamic layer count by simply dividing by 2. Of course the staccato attacks add to the voice count so I'd use the sustain showcase for this instead of the legato patches. However since string sections do have a pretty homogeneous timbre across dynamic layers I'd be ok with 3.

Was it mentioned anywhere which dynamics were recorded? For USD 999 I was wondering where corners were cut.
I kind of got the impression that the BBC SO was maybe subsidizing a bit of this? They said it was a collaboration?

I could be wrong, of course.

I kind of got the impression that the BBC SO was maybe subsidizing a bit of this? They said it was a collaboration?

I could be wrong, of course.
It's something along the lines of a joint venture. Both the BBC (commercial) and Spitfire have put money into the pot to pay for the studio, musicians etc. Presumably the profits are split too.

If you watch the voice count in the walk through videos, right at the start of a phrase that he plays, you can see the number of layers used for the patch. The long brass patches have a voice count of 3 plus the cuivre makes 4 dynamic layers which should be good to capture the various timbral changes.
For the strings it will be harder to estimate the layers since the instruments have vibrato control. If we assume a recorded nonvibrato and vibrato per layer we may estimate the dynamic layer count by simply dividing by 2. Of course the staccato attacks add to the voice count so I'd use the sustain showcase for this instead of the legato patches. However since string sections do have a pretty homogeneous timbre across dynamic layers I'd be ok with 3.

Great observation!

So for example, here is only one note and the value of the voice counter is 6

On that given note there is the portamento sample at the beginning, 1 non-vib, 1 vib layer, 1 release so there are only 2 dynamic layers on the legato patches?

Or the plugin is able to respond so quickly to unused layers that it takes out of memory?
Maybe I misunderstand it, I don't know.

It would be great a comment from Spitfire about dynamic layers of legato, long, staccato, spiccato, at least.

Great observation!

So for example, here is only one note and the value of the voice counter is 6

On that given note there is the portamento sample at the beginning, 1 non-vib, 1 vib layer, 1 release so there are only 2 dynamic layers on the legato patches?

Or the plugin is able to respond so quickly to unused layers that it takes out of memory?
Maybe I misunderstand it, I don't know.

It would be great a comment from Spitfire about dynamic layers of legato, long, staccato, spiccato, at least.

I'm just assuming they trigger the sustain samples for a played note all at the same time and release or legato when necessary, not taking into account the current relevant CC value which is how East West seem to do it. At ~50 seconds it shows 5 voices. So maybe 3 dynamic layers and 2 of them have crossfadeable vibrato?

Last edited:
I'm just assuming they trigger the sustain samples for a played note all at the same time, not taking into account the current relevant CC value which is how East West seem to do it. At ~50 seconds it shows 5 voices. So maybe 3 dynamic layers and 2 of them have crossfadeable vibrato?
When Paul starts to play the normal long, he plays a triad if I can see well and the counter shows 12 voices. The number of layers of dynamics from this is not clear to me. But yes, it makes sense: "So maybe 3 dynamic layers and 2 of them have crossfadeable vibrato?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom