What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Finally, and most importantly, going by the walkthrough video, the timbral range of the strings seems to be a bit limited. Right at the beginning of the video it looks like Paul is playing the first violins legato patch with both cc1 and vibrato cranked to the max. The timbre sounds like a forte at best.

That's what bothers me, too. It's the same with Studio Strings (Pro), and I think it's common with Spitfire string libraries in general. I don't know for sure, I'm only guessing: the legatos have less velocity layers than the sustains, the latter go louder.

While I really like the overall sound and agility of the strings, there are two things I don't like:
  • The legatos (and sustains) only go up to the high C. Is this correct? Is there an option for extending the range?
  • I'm looking forward to the separate legato walkthrough video in order to get more information on what's going on. It's great to have a kind of "performance legato", but, for me, the faster passages doesn't sound realistic, they sound like only short notes. I think short notes are layered on the legatos, which is great for the attacks, but not for faster playing. Maybe it's a just a velocity-related thing so that Paul played at higher velocites resulting in more pronounced (marcato-ish) transitions.

Does anyone know if the plugin supports purging unused samples like Kontakt? Not just purging a single articulations but individual notes within them.

How about...

Spitfire Audio introduces the SPITFIRE AUDIO ARTICULATION DATABASE.

An open online database where people can request articulations that they are looking for, and also a database where people can see what articulations Spitfire already has available.

By the year 2029 you will be able type in what articulation you want and then wait a few minutes while the "Spitfire Bohemian Online Orchestra" creates the bespoke articulation for you.

:)

Last edited:
How about...

Spitfire Audio introduces the SPITFIRE AUDIO ARTICULATION DATABASE.

An open online database where people can request articulations that they are looking for, and also a database where people can see what articulations Spitfire already has available.

By the year 2029 you will be able type in what articulation you want and then wait a few minutes while the "Spitfire Bohemian Online Orchestra" creates the bespoke articulation for you.

:)
The point is not articulations what people want, but articulations that are important in classical music.

I had finally splurged on the full Spitfire Symphony Orchestra package just before this was announced....
Can someone please make me feel better about my purchase? :/

Seems like we are in the same boat @Pixelpoet1985. These are exactly the two points that did not convince me so far: the timbral range of the strings, and the fast legatos. All the rest sounds really nice.

I had finally splurged on the full Spitfire Symphony Orchestra package just before this was announced....
Can someone please make me feel better about my purchase? :/
You ought to be able to make yourself feel better about your purchase within minutes after firing it up. It's still all the things it was when you bought it: top session players in a great room, sampled with care by Spitfire Audio.

Best,

Geoff

You ought to be able to make yourself feel better about your purchase within minutes after firing it up. It's still all the things it was when you bought it: top session players in a great room, sampled with care by Spitfire Audio.

Best,

Geoff

one thing i felt about the Symphony series (my own personal view) and the Chamber strings libraries are these libraries to me are considered as experimental. They were the big things back then when they've started orchestra sampling....Before they were released and known as Symphony series, they were released per instrument section and then you have what mural strings, BML Phalanx series an etc. Then they constantly experiment new things and released as updates...such as the performance legato patch. Once everything seems solid, they've repackaged everything as Symphony series.

With all these knowledge gained throughout the years and as they've improved progressively over the years, here there are, BBC orchestral and the Studio Series are born. BBC orchestral may or may not sound better than Symphony series....It all depends on the quality of the recordings and the players recruited for the recording sessions. Symphony may even sound better than BBC but the only thing with Symphony is lack of flexibility in terms of choosing the mics. Not everyone is happy with Air Lyndhurst's wetness in Symphony series and there's nothing much you can do to control that sound. It's roomy...either you take it or leave it. On the other hand, BBC you can have it as dry as the Studio series and you can make it as wet as Air Lyndhurst with either its own mic since they offer lots and lots of mic options or use 3rd party reverb to simulate Air Lyndhurst hall

Top Bottom