What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

I'm not really that interested in sleigh bells...as far as I know, this whole library was recorded at Maida Vale, and everyone knows that the real name of Santa Claus is Joulupukki and he lives in Korvatunturi, Finland, and THAT's the place you write letters to when in need of authentic sleigh bell samples.
Are there Quality Street out there ?

This is the earliest filmed recording of the BBC Symphony Orchestra from 1932, conducted by Adrian Boult, performing part of Elgar’s First Pomp and Circumstance March which includes Land of Hope and Glory:

I’m not sure if any restoration work has been done on the sound, but it is exceptionally clear considering the recording equipment is ancient. This is even before the ‘BBC Type A Marconi’ microphone circa 1934 which was used in Spitfire’s marketing for this library.

Interesting to compare the sonic properties of those older microphones with those of today. I think they hold their own and have immense character.

Film recordings of orchestra from even the late 1920s can sound surprisingly good. I've found this to be true of both Vitaphone discs, which can sound exceptional, and with Movietone sound on film. Since this film dates from 1932 it was likely sound on film, though I don't know for certain what British Pathé was using at that point or if New Empire Review was an imprint of British Pathé.

I'll add that these recordings likely sound far better today than they ever did at the time, not because the recordings have been cleaned up (though that might have happened too) but because reproducing sound in theaters designed for live musical performance was a much larger problem. The reproducing equipment was also a lot more finicky and required an experienced operator to run it effectively.

I'm not really that interested in sleigh bells...as far as I know, this whole library was recorded at Maida Vale, and everyone knows that the real name of Santa Claus is Joulupukki and he lives in Korvatunturi, Finland, and THAT's the place you write letters to when in need of authentic sleigh bell samples.
So this man here posed as a Finn, and he swore they were original Finnish sleigh bells with at least 127 layers. But his strange British accent seemed strange to me.

CHScandi.jpg

Worse even, I had to visit him with the faculty dean when I lectured at the Arctic Circle's Rovaniemi University and each of us had to sit on one of his knees. Visited the man's post office as well:
https://santaclausvillage.info/arctic-circle-rovaniemi-finland/

Doubling the dynamic layers doubles the development cost of the library. Twice as much recording and editing. While adding mics... well it's not free, someone has to cut the samples and they have to host the data. But it's much more economical. And I don't think this thread would have 126 pages if the library cost $1750.

Doubling the dynamic layers doubles the development cost of the library. Twice as much recording and editing. While adding mics... well it's not free, someone has to cut the samples and they have to host the data. But it's much more economical. And I don't think this thread would have 126 pages if the library cost $1750.

Don't come here with your fancy financial realities. We demand perfection!

So this man here posed as a Finn, and he swore they were original Finnish sleigh bells with at least 127 layers. But his strange British accent seemed strange to me.

CHScandi.jpg

The person you are looking for is not available at the moment.

"Have been really busy with putting the Finnishing touches to the library, and building an office for mr Claus in Edinburgh. See you all soon! Best regards, Rodney the Christmas Dinosaur, Rudolf and the rest of the team.

PS. Christmas may come sooner this year than you had expected."

Last edited:
The FAQ page now mentions, that BBCSO will indeed be part of the upcoming black Friday and Christmas sales. Didn't it specifically state the opposite earlier?

The FAQ page now mentions, that BBCSO will indeed be part of the upcoming black Friday and Christmas sales. Didn't it specifically state the opposite earlier?

Not really. They stated it will be part of the sale, but it will only go down to the introduction / pre-order price.

It did yes, but was changed a few days later. It was very clear.
They said to me it was originally to give users the reassurance it wouldn’t drop further in price come sale time.
So good for late adopters.

It did yes, but was changed a few days later. It was very clear.
They said to me it was originally to give users the reassurance it wouldn’t drop further in price come sale time.
So good for late adopters.
Thank you. I thought I was going mad.
So no need to rush. Let those reviews roll in.
@Cory Pelizzari any chance you plan on picking this up? :emoji_angel:

Is the mic perspectives overview video landing this week? I'm still curious about the target Atmos workflow. If the quad height channels are pre-mixed, there has to be a specific mic blend they're meant to be used with. Having a premade 5.1.4 setup would be downright glorious.

So... the introductory price of $749 runs through 11/04, and then drops back to that price again on Black Friday?

Is the mic perspectives overview video landing this week? I'm still curious about the target Atmos workflow. If the quad height channels are pre-mixed, there has to be a specific mic blend they're meant to be used with. Having a premade 5.1.4 setup would be downright glorious.

And, let's hope there is also a 7.1.4 as well.

Top Bottom