What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

I too spent a fortune on the complete VSL Library (VI Series), but I still think it sounds fantastic! I just never liked their player.

Last edited:
Sorry to spam the thread...I’ll try and post a bit less. Just wanted to ask if anyone is watching the Last Night of the Proms featuring the BBC Symphony Orchestra. It really is a glorious sound and so wonderful to see so many nationalities represented in the audience.

Saw bits of it, yes. Great to see the amount of European flags as well. It occurred to me they are the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. I wonder if in a year or two there will be a massive thread about an upcoming expansion pack for the Chorus...

I love seeing how little Andy is tweaking in that video beyond dynamics. No crazy expression rides, no automating track levels or anything, everything sounding natural and balanced out of the box. Gives me hope that I'm on the right track with my similarly straightforward approach to all this.

Love the content Spitfire is putting out on this - especially the study MIDI files. I’m most excited about the educational opportunities (as I’m not a professional). Will order the hard drive post release once people get it in their hands. I wish the new iMacs had more than 2 USB-C ports. Sticking with my 2015 iMac for now and will need to get a USB-C to TB2 connector for this hard drive.

@christianhenson You don’t have to do your vlogs but you take the time to share your knowledge and experience with all of us. Thank you so much.

Would love to hear the first chairs and how they sound leading sections. I'm a big fan of using First chairs, and have OT Berlin FC but would love a more integrated approach.

That old guard is dying or dead, you only need to see Johnny Greenwood's performance at this year's proms to prove that alongside the multitude of composers creating "concert" music who are traditionally trained, notwithstanding my brother Keaton Henson.

Here's a video that will stoke the RAM debate here (from around 7 minutes in):

I absolutely love the fact that in the User column of Activity Monitor it says “MacPro-Christ”.
:rofl:

Christian, I'm on the fence on buying the library, but is there a performance legato patch for the Sleigh Bells? Also, any 'hooves on snow' samples for added Rudolf realism?

I've just started to write my Christmas number 1 record, so this could be just what I'm looking for.

Sticking with my 2015 iMac for now and will need to get a USB-C to TB2 connector for this hard drive.
Not sure if you're referring to the SSD or the standard HDD here, but if it's SSD I'll be able to confirm this for you tomorrow. I believe the SSD's are USB-C to USB3, with the USB-C being the connection to the SSD.

@al_net77 - What Do mean exactly? Unsing the samples directly from the Internet without storing it on the local system? I guess this option will not be available. But what should work, is to install the library to a mounted network share, which off course could be "off site" in a cloud datacenter.

But honestly, what is a fast internet access? Your need a dedicated link with 4.4 Gbit / sec. just to be equal with a normal SATA-SSD with brings around 550 MByte / sec. And if you compare it with an PCIE SSD - no way :)

Br Joe

Bump the question...

If it were Kontakt I think the answer would be yes, because you download first to a specified folder then finalise the install through Native Access.

But for a Spitfire stand-alone plugin I doubt it, because I think it will install the plugin on the computer you use to download?

Spitfire would need to confirm.

Personally looking forward to seeing more of that Spitfire stand-alone plugin. Really like the GUI. Makes me conclude that Kontakt’s is getting old in the tooth by the look and feel of it.

If doable by SF, I'd like to be able to download and use parts of the library on 2 different computers: brass & perc on one and strings & winds on the other. No biggie if not possible, but would be cool...

Top Bottom