What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Wow . 111 pages and counting . Did anyone convert or make a template for this for Cubase ?

Consider doing one myself, but so many choices - articulation per midi track, multi, Ve Pro on host, ve pro on slave...... too much choice is definately not conducive to creative production !

What does the community thing , separate midi track per articulation or multis? I am more interested in the final composition but realise many do like the score at the end to be uncluttered with key switches

But...and forgive my naivety, you can already do this with something like Spitfire Symphony Orchestra.

Or am I missing something?

They both had to be sampled over a number of months, by section, and it's pretty much the same instrumentation.

Apart from (obviously) the different space and players, how is this so different?
The concept has been around for a while. But to put things in perspective, this is the last "orchestra in a box" I purchased, around 10-15 years ago:

msi_large.jpg

That's MOTU's Symphonic Instrument. Fun for the time, some limited articulations, no mics, no legato...and clocking in at 8gb.

I've always loved the concept of an orchestral library recorded in one place, designed to work as a cohesive whole. I hate attempting to "glue" different products together. That's why I brought the weirdly red thing above and why I'm looking forward to seeing what BBCSO can do. I reckon it'll be the ultimate example of the "all in" orchestra to date. Spitfire seem to be taking the concept and going several steps further.

Bring it.

This would really stimulate the community if it happens, but I'm much less confident of this, based on previous discussions here of sharing such information.

I'm not sure this will happen on VI-C; ok, realistically, it will never happen here!

You are probably right, but we could change that is the other answer?
Realistically you would need 2 threads. One for links/files only and the other for discussion and reference the #post number from there. Otherwise the community thread would quickly become a mess between files/discussion and quickly fall apart.

Having a single universal core that other people have is the biggest selling point for me, I'll get my orchestrator a copy and boom, finish a cue, bam, send it over. I give my assistant a copy, need it track laying, boom bang it over with all stems prepared.... all I have to do is include audio. It means if I'm working on a big series and need someone offsite to make 1m43 from ep1 into 7m11 in ep 7 then all I need to check is if they have a copy of BBCSO (oh and a good sine wave).

My suggestion: if possible, you could include a sine wave patch in the package too (as a tool), for the process to be as fluid as possible.

But what happens if they don't?

You beg at Twitch huh ;)
jk

We don't all have a spare couple of grand laying around to get our orchestrator and assistant a copy, I guess it helps when you own the company huh ;)

Spitfire libraries were never aimed at the hobbyist market. A real working composer is used to much higher figures. Back in the day it would cost you no less than $30,000 to have copies of Symphonic Cube for your small team of one assistant and one orchestrator. $749 is a bargain for what we are getting now.

What do folks think of how BBCSO sounds in the demos and how this library might layer with other SA products (BHCT is of particular interest for me), or other libraries (OT Berlin series for example)? I really found the comparison track and YouTube video @christianhenson did for BHCT and SSO (with SCS) to be super helpful in thinking about these libraries, and I'm curious about something like this for BBCSO. This would be helpful to understand how libraries we already have might interact with BBCSO, and also help inform future purchase decisions - such as maybe wanting additional articulations for solo instruments and how a relevant library would sound with this new library.

For reference, the BHCT/SSO layer video:

What do folks think of how BBCSO sounds in the demos and how this library might layer with other SA products (BHCT is of particular interest for me), or other libraries (OT Berlin series for example)? I really found the comparison track and YouTube video @christianhenson did for BHCT and SSO (with SCS) to be super helpful in thinking about these libraries, and I'm curious about something like this for BBCSO. This would be helpful to understand how libraries we already have might interact with BBCSO, and also help inform future purchase decisions - such as maybe wanting additional articulations for solo instruments and how a relevant library would sound with this new library.

For reference, the BHCT/SSO layer video:

Yes, yes, yes; completely agree!! Need many more comparisons - that is key to making decisions on these libraries.

What do folks think of how BBCSO sounds in the demos

The demo "A New Chapter" is what has sold me so far on purchasing BBC. My only concern (with the sounds) at this point is the brass. In particular, the opening brass at 0:11 in the "Your Majesty" demo. I don't know if it's just the programming, but it sounds really synthetic to my ears. I'm anxious to hear a walkthrough.

For me as a hobbyist, this makes sense that it would be extremely useful to composers and adds a lot of value, but it's something I'll personally never need. However, the potential universality of the platform is still the main selling point to me, but it depends on the extent to which it will be utilized, both by Spitfire and by the user community.

If Spitfire release demos, tutorials, etc on this platform, then I can load it up, and boom, I have exactly what they have on their screen - that's enormously valuable. They have mentioned several times that this is their intention, and what gives me confidence that they will follow through on this sort of sharing and community engagement? 1. LABS. 2 PianoBook. 3. BBC: education/entertainment is their stated purpose, so the collaboration with Spitfire, who have followed a similar ethos, is really exciting. Christian - I wonder if you can, either here or in a future vlog, give us a little more detail of your plans in this regard?

So the other aspect is the community: rather than releasing member compositions as audio files, people could, in theory at least, share their Logic BBSCO files. Perhaps not your latest and greatest, but snippets, illustrating a particular feature/progression/articulation. This would really stimulate the community if it happens, but I'm much less confident of this, based on previous discussions here of sharing such information.

I'm not sure this will happen on VI-C; ok, realistically, it will never happen here! A composers' forum, with professional musicians, is probably not the place, because the concern of plagiarism will be too great. But look at PianoBook, where people are sharing their own frickin' pianos! Painstakingly sampled, and freely shared, for the enjoyment of the community. I could imagine something similar, in which the community share musical ideas as BBCSO files, and other hobbyist composers, adapt them and re-share, and something interesting happens as the result of such collaboration, that wouldn't have happened with a single composer. Perhaps think of it along the lines of Eric Whitacre's online choir!

My other hope is YouTube: people like Ashton Gleckman have generously shared midi/Cubase/Logic files for their mockups; might this platform encourage Ashton and others to use BBCSO and share their files for educational purposes? I guess we'll see...

Ashton said he isn’t getting it haha

Quoting Christian from the video, after reinforcing that this release is ONLY the beginning... "Momentous announcements coming early next year!"

Fair enough, but IMO $750 is hardly a deal breaker for any serious hobbyist or pro alike. Jeez, I remember shelling out $1500 ten years ago for the old EWQL Composer Collection. When you look at all of the top all-in-one orchestral libraries out there (of this quality), it's competitive.

NEW VIDEO!

Christian takes us through the creative process behind writing his score for the BBC Symphony Orchestra trailer.

I'm left with only one question: where do I put all my other libraries now that I'll no longer be needing them!

I've been eagerly looking forward to this, and it did not disappoint - that was !@£%in' amazing. Beautiful sound, but incredibly, with so little needed in addition - touch of reverb here and there, a dash of EQ - but next to nothing. You can really see how it allows you to just focus on the composition, and let the tech get out of your way. Love it.

Finger poised over 'pre-order', but the rationalist in me won't pull the trigger until we get the full walkthrough, but realistically, it's a done deal!

And... one more time: thank you Christian. I know I'm harping on this point (so I've put my FULL comment in the drama zone thread, "A Plea to Spitfire"), but here we got the first confirmation on releasing the demo Midi/Logic files. If anyone is interested in the discussion, you'll find it in the Drama zone, because there were plenty who disagreed vehemently that the request for Midi/Logic files was unlikely to happen, not technically feasible, unfair to the originating artist, even 'entitled' for merely asking the question. But you Christian, said 'Great idea', and wow, how you have delivered. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom