What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

The real nuisance of having so many mics choice in a relative big template is that when you want to change the mics af *all* tracks/instruments you have to do it one by one... Maybe the new app can "centralize" it? :grin:
Yeah, very good point. You would need a ‘mothership’ plugin could talk to the other ‘satellite’ plug-ins in much the same way iZotope Neutron 3 and Mix Assistant does.

@christianhenson Can you say at this point whether it will be possible to only install some subset of the mic positions to conserve SSD space?

(Sorry if this has already been discussed, the thread is too long at this point to look through it)

Concur with @Dave Connor. For classical music more variations for the short articulations would be needed. Several lenghts of tenuto would be nice. As the sound of the library leans towards that direction, rather than a Hollywood film sound, it would have been cool if the list of articulations had reflected that. Instead, about half the articulations are effects typically used in filmscores (sul pont, harmonics, flautando etc.). In classical scores they appear very rarely. That being said, the articulations list contains most of the bread and butter, and is rather comprehensive for the price.

Last edited:
Sure man! It's a controller app based on Open Stage Control. I had to come up with an all-in-one solution after we switched to AVB, so OSC was a natural choice. We are able to control the entire studio with any touch device. It also does MIDI, allowing full communication with Cubase, including dynamic track selection and articulations/CC. It's web-based, hence the streamlined look that I put a lot of thought into.

The composer I assist atm is not a fan of gear cluttering up his desk and asked me to include a shortcut management system as well, similar to the Stream Deck but with dropdown menus, modal windows, dynamic lists and MIDI/OSC integration. It's in a whole different level of what the Elgato can do, though I still miss the physical buttons.

I'm going way off topic here but do check OSC, it's free and awesome.
Thanks for the explanation!
It's way too sophisticated for my little brain but it sounds really cool.
Good job!

I work with Cubase Artist.
The VST rack can handle 32 plugins.
So if I understand it well if I'd like to make a full BBC SO template I need to buy
Vienna Ensemble Pro. (?)
It's not a bad thing, but an additional € 195 outlay.
I didn't need it so far, because with Kontakt I can use the maximum of virtual instrument stereo channels allowed by Cubase Artist.
Of course that doesn't change my decision, BBC SO seems too good to miss.

Note that Cubase Artist also supports 32 Rack Instruments, so you could create MIDI tracks to feed to those instead, effectively given you 64 possible Instruments within Artist.

In your case I would recommend saving your money for Cubase Pro, instead of Vienna Ensemble. A lot of people here are looking at the large multi library template on single machine or slaves as use cases, which might be overkill for what you need? I found ditching Vienna Ensemble very liberating, personally. Expression maps in Pro are vastly more valuable to me than the routing afforded by Ensemble.

@christianhenson Can you say at this point whether it will be possible to only install some subset of the mic positions to conserve SSD space?

(Sorry if this has already been discussed, the thread is too long at this point to look through it)

I've made the assumption, but I would love to know this too.

Having listened (again!) to the Andy Blaney demo...those string legatos sound quite flexible with a turn of speed. Add an extensive yet sensible set of articulations, the mics, the new player...
...well, with typical British understatement, I'm quite excited.

Appropriately, my first use of the library will be to do a mockup of the BBC news theme, circa 1990. ;)

what is your guess about the hollywood-compatibility? i like the overall sound very much, but i am wondering, if it's possible to achieve the more modern film-style sound as well...

Be honest. You’re about to have a cup of tea and I think you like it!
Indeed, old chap. Reading that articulation list has me all of a flutter again. A nice cup of tea (and a couple of custard creams) might just be the ticket to calm things down.

Wow 110 pages, is it a record?, do we need to prorogue this thread? Will there be any news on dynamic layers before Oct 31st?
Well, the PM might be locked up and lorries backed up to Paris, but they'll be a new flagship Spitfire library! Tally ho!

A lot of people aren't aware of the massive range of runs articulations in Albion ONE?

I use trems with shorts, but also trills are great at making runs, that way your orchestrator can see what you're actually trying to make and your director gets a good idea of how the blurring effect of an ensembles works.
Thank you! I will have to try that.

And I seem to have missed the runs in Albion ONE as well. I will go check it out.... :)

You should! They are pretty hidden. There are quite some string runs as well as woodwind runs in the legacy folder (if I remember correctly).

Interesting to know there are options in Albion and SSO, but I'm wondering how we suspect BBCSO will handle such passages. And if they have to be cobbled together by blending trems and trills etc I wonder if Hollywood Orchestra is still the better option if striving for swirly Williamsy music.

Interesting to know there are options in Albion and SSO, but I'm wondering how we suspect BBCSO will handle such passages. And if they have to be cobbled together by blending trems and trills etc I wonder if Hollywood Orchestra is still the better option if striving for swirly Williamsy music.
Can't comment on that. At this state, nobody can (but the Spitfire team).
However, looking at the articulation list, there seem to be dedicated fast run legato patches, for piccolo and flute at least.

Top Bottom