What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Quite impressed by the consistency of articulations here which is my main gripe with Symphonic Brass. I want to see tenutos on all the winds, more than long, short and tremolo con sordino for the strings and mute articulations for brass.

The thing is though, as a package at the price point, I don't think those things are really necessary at all. This feels like a consistent blank palette, just as the design direction detailed.

I'm interested in hearing the strings now, with so many effects and leader instruments. The harp and celeste options look great.

I'd like to see what hits and/or rolls there are for the percussion, in time.

Articulations list looks great, but where are brass staccatos? Also, will strings/woodwinds legato be fast enough to do some realistic runs?

Reactions: JF
I was thinking about how much music lives on short notes in the strings: i.e. longer than typical spicc and stacc samples. So I simply grabbed the closest score to me - a Purcell string piece. It’s almost nothing but those lengths of shorts beyond the clipped ones so abundant these days. So, my first request for BBC expansion would be those additional lengths since the room is ideal for the Classical style. (Which is done in film these days by the ton by countless composers.)

And yes, I am hoping BBC becomes the acronym for this library as it won’t be confused with anything else; is shorter, and of course hipper.

They did say in the launch that "this is only the beginning." So maybe we'll see some of those other articulations in an upgrade or update. Maybe they recorded them but can't finish them in time for the launch.

Also, is anyone seriously thinking "this is the last sample library I'll ever buy?" If so, realize you are reading "Sample Talk" on VI-control so that is probably not the case. :)

I don't think it's the last one I'll *ever* buy, but I do have hopes that it could be the last significant one I buy for a long time. Believe it or not, I'm not a gear junkie, even though I'm here! I'd love to be able to settle down with a virtual orchestra and take myself off the market.

Don’t ask Google. Don’t.
I know it’s tough. Folks get confused. Particularly within the context of a 108 page thread on a single library recorded at the BBC. Add to that my discussing articulations right after an articulation list is released and yes: People may have no clue what you’re referencing if you type BBC. I get that. Spicc, Stacc, Purcell, Strings... Those terms are interchangeable with sound fx samples and perhaps even snow boards. Who can know? I’ll keep up my experiment though, in the spirit of musicians helping sound designers.

Sorry to bump my own post, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?...

I've only ever used EW orchestras, so have no idea how Spitfire have previously handled such things, but I'm wondering about playable runs and things like that for the more agile instruments (flutes, violins, etc).
EW Hollywood Orchestra has 'Run Simulator' patches for such moments, but I see there is nothing obviously comparable to that in the articulation list.
Any ideas?

May I Ask what I am looking at?
It is shiny...what is it?
Do I want it?

Sure man! It's a controller app based on Open Stage Control. I had to come up with an all-in-one solution after we switched to AVB, so OSC was a natural choice. We are able to control the entire studio with any touch device. It also does MIDI, allowing full communication with Cubase, including dynamic track selection and articulations/CC. It's web-based, hence the streamlined look that I put a lot of thought into.

The composer I assist atm is not a fan of gear cluttering up his desk and asked me to include a shortcut management system as well, similar to the Stream Deck but with dropdown menus, modal windows, dynamic lists and MIDI/OSC integration. It's in a whole different level of what the Elgato can do, though I still miss the physical buttons.

I'm going way off topic here but do check OSC, it's free and awesome.

Sorry to bump my own post, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?...
I haven't really tried making runs with SSO yet, but others do it so I would think it is quite possible. It may just take more work than using a run maker. I would probably use the longs articulations because it should flow without being too legato-y.

I work with Cubase Artist.
The VST rack can handle 32 plugins.
So if I understand it well if I'd like to make a full BBC SO template I need to buy
Vienna Ensemble Pro. (?)
It's not a bad thing, but an additional € 195 outlay.
I didn't need it so far, because with Kontakt I can use the maximum of virtual instrument stereo channels allowed by Cubase Artist.
Of course that doesn't change my decision, BBC SO seems too good to miss.

The real nuisance of having so many mics choice in a relative big template is that when you want to change the mics af *all* tracks/instruments you have to do it one by one... Maybe the new app can "centralize" it? :grin:

I haven't really tried making runs with SSO yet, but others do it so I would think it is quite possible. It may just take more work than using a run maker. I would probably use the longs articulations because it should flow without being too legato-y.

A lot of people aren't aware of the massive range of runs articulations in Albion ONE?

I use trems with shorts, but also trills are great at making runs, that way your orchestrator can see what you're actually trying to make and your director gets a good idea of how the blurring effect of an ensembles works.

Top Bottom