Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
First off, absolutely love your piece. You typed movement 1, are the other movements written yet? The intense sections remind me of the best of Shostakovich’s symphonies when they really let loose, like the 2nd movement of his 11th and I mean this as a huge compliment.

And yes! This mix is much, much better than your first one. The clarity is exceptional and transparent and the stage really seems coherent amongst the orchestral sections. I would love to hear a version of this with an additional reverb tail added to the mix just for comparison from dry sound stage to concert stage, but this mix hits the spot as it is. You said most of the tracks were with Mix 1, did you use the spill mics at all?

Hands down, this is the best track I’ve heard with the BBCSO library.
Really great of you to take the time to listen and comment. I will need to acquaint myself with Shostakovich’s 11th as I’m not sure I’ve heard that one.

Unfortunately I am a very slow worker. For movements 2 and 3 I do have sketches on paper, fragments and ideas in my head, and even some ideas mocked up, but nothing fully formed yet. However, this new threat to our lives has made me think I should get this done sooner rather than later.

I can try adding some extra reverb, although my production abilities are poor so I’m not sure how successful or terrible that would be.

I did use the Spill Full mics on almost everything. I would have to go back and check exactly what I didn’t use it on, but if memory serves I excluded it from the bass drum to help with low end clarity.

Thank you for your kind words.

Cass Hansen

Cass Hansen
Really great of you to take the time to listen and comment. I will need to acquaint myself with Shostakovich’s 11th as I’m not sure I’ve heard that one.
Thanks for the reply Darren. I just saw you had it posted in the member composition forum section. Lots of great feedback. Also noticed your avatar, yeah, The day the earth stood still is one of my faves too!

Shostakovich’s 11th is his second best symphony next to the 5th IMO. Rather than abstract music, it is a narrative of the 1905 revolution. Focusing on the slaughter on Bloody Sunday at the Winter Palace of Tsar Nicholas II, the 1st movement is sunrise at the palace square, quiet, mysterious, foreboding. Almost the whole movement is quiet and is known for Carl Sagan using the score throughout his Cosmos miniseries. The second movement is the slaughter when imperial guards fired upon the peaceful protestors and killed hundreds of them. The 3rd expresses the grief and funerals of the victims and the 4th says, “we will not forget this!!) leading to the 1917 revolution and overthrow of the Tsarist regime.

Sorry for the long explanation of the symphony but it helps to know the history behind it before listening to it. It would make a tremendous movie score and there are so many phenomenal passages of creativity and ingenuity pertaining to variation and orchestration, for anyone who aspires to write great scores, this is a must listen.

Hear's a link to a very short passage from it, about one minute.

Shostakovich's 11th sym 2nd mvt

rrrotzooipost

How is the issue with the ram and dropouts nowadays? I'm considering buying the BBC SO, but am hesitant because of the many issues I read about.

miket

Boring Member
All smooth for me, but I didn't have many problems to begin with. Only thing is that in the middle of loading a patch, it will hang for a number of seconds before loading the rest. Might be because I've deleted some mic positions and it's looking for them, or maybe it's a widespread kink that can still be ironed out.

In addition to more instrument content of course, one thing that I think would be useful to add to the plugin's functionality is putting the articulation/mic selection ahead of anything actually loading into RAM. Would make more sense to tell it what you want, and have that load, rather than loading everything and a mic position you might not want.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Thanks for the reply Darren. I just saw you had it posted in the member composition forum section. Lots of great feedback. Also noticed your avatar, yeah, The day the earth stood still is one of my faves too!

Shostakovich’s 11th is his second best symphony next to the 5th IMO. Rather than abstract music, it is a narrative of the 1905 revolution. Focusing on the slaughter on Bloody Sunday at the Winter Palace of Tsar Nicholas II, the 1st movement is sunrise at the palace square, quiet, mysterious, foreboding. Almost the whole movement is quiet and is known for Carl Sagan using the score throughout his Cosmos miniseries. The second movement is the slaughter when imperial guards fired upon the peaceful protestors and killed hundreds of them. The 3rd expresses the grief and funerals of the victims and the 4th says, “we will not forget this!!) leading to the 1917 revolution and overthrow of the Tsarist regime.

Sorry for the long explanation of the symphony but it helps to know the history behind it before listening to it. It would make a tremendous movie score and there are so many phenomenal passages of creativity and ingenuity pertaining to variation and orchestration, for anyone who aspires to write great scores, this is a must listen.

Hear's a link to a very short passage from it, about one minute.

Shostakovich's 11th sym 2nd mvt
Appreciate this focused Shostakovich symphony perspective ! No. 11 was indeed a long search thru his albums from my quality (flac), streaming source. Finally found (far down the list) in: 'Shostakovich: The Symphonies' _ Vladimir Ashkenazy / St Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra / 2006.
Will audtion and then search best alternative recordings.
Many thanks !

Cormast

I still seem to be experiencing audio dropouts and performance issues with the BBCSO. I also can't use anymore than 2 mic positions. I'm using Cubase on windows, 64 GB Ram, and a quad core i7 processor.
If you're on cubase, check that your daw isn't using VST3 instance of BBCSO (Reinstalled at each update of bbcso (not optimisation)), but the VST2 instance instead. For me it was the problem.

muk

Does anybody have both BBCSO and VSL Special Editions (mainly SE 1 and SE 1+), and can compare? I am using VSL SE as a filler mainly, for instruments/groups/sections that are not in the foreground of the arrangement. They are versatile, easy to use, and resource friendly. I'm not totally happy with the lack of a natural room sound though. Not sure how much it contributes to the end result, but I am asking myself if wet samples in this role could provide a more realistic sense of room. Currently I am debating whether BBCSO could fill that role.

ism

Does anybody have both BBCSO and VSL Special Editions (mainly SE 1 and SE 1+), and can compare? I am using VSL SE as a filler mainly, for instruments/groups/sections that are not in the foreground of the arrangement. They are versatile, easy to use, and resource friendly. I'm not totally happy with the lack of a natural room sound though. Not sure how much it contributes to the end result, but I am asking myself if wet samples in this role could provide a more realistic sense of room. Currently I am debating whether BBCSO could fill that role.
There’s a whole thread that debates this, bitterly at times, but also with very articulate points being made on both sides:

And the answer is that there are at least two very different schools of thought.

I remain firmly in the school of thought that room tone is all but impossible simulate (especially the early reflections) in an *emotionally* satisfying way, and shifting from VSL SE (without MIR) to Spitfire was like suddenly being able to breathe again.

The opposite positions are argued so vehemently that I suspect that it’s not merely a difference of opinion or taste, but that there is something perceptual, ie at the level of neuroscience, at play.

But ymmv.

Reactions: muk

muk

Thanks @ism. I should read through that thread more carefully. Personally I think that VSL SE is a fairer comparison with BBC SO, rather than the VSL Cube. But the points regarding the room sound apply equally here.

Lately I'm leaning more towards wet samples too. However, I am using the brass section the most from VSL SE. And from what I've read so far, that is not a strong part of BBC SO. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: ism

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
I wish there was a way to get the room sound to add to an IR reverb to make it easy to blend other instruments with an orchestra. Like if you buy the BBCSO, they give you a Maida Vale general IR to match other instruments. It won't be as good as the real thing, but would make it easier to match stuff like VSL SE with the library. Hopefully, someone does it before it gets torn down.

Of course, that won't work with wet sounds.

yiph2

I wish there was a way to get the room sound to add to an IR reverb to make it easy to blend other instruments with an orchestra. Like if you buy the BBCSO, they give you a Maida Vale general IR to match other instruments. It won't be as good as the real thing, but would make it easier to match stuff like VSL SE with the library. Hopefully, someone does it before it gets torn down.

Of course, that won't work with wet sounds.
In one of Paul's reverb videos, someone suggested to make a reverb plugin from Spitfire, and Paul said good idea, so maybe if not Maida Vale, at least Air? :)

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
In one of Paul's reverb videos, someone suggested to make a reverb plugin from Spitfire, and Paul said good idea, so maybe if not Maida Vale, at least Air? :)
Well, I do have SSO, so I would love an Air one as well!

muk

Air Studios have a strict 'no IR-recording'-policy, so that is unlikely to happen. With Maida Vale perhaps, I don't know.

Personally, my problem is not with matching a certain hall with artificial reverb. That part I don't find too difficult. Impossible for me, however, is to create a believable natural space at all around dry samples.

Reading a lot of criticism about BBC SO brass though. Can anybody compare VSL SE brass against BBC SO? Is BBC SO brass versatile enough to fill in the role of background (aka non soloistic) brass writing?

As an aside if you guys happen to own 2c Audio B2, there is a third party preset pack that is about matching Air Lyndhurst hall as closely as possible:

I don't know if it is any good though, as I don't own B2.

miket

Boring Member
I used to have SE. I have BBCSO now. I suspect you know what my recommendation is. :)

AllanH

Cubase prioritize VST3 if the 2 instances are available, so delete VST3.
Why would you not use the VST3? I never install the VST2s anymore. I use Cubase 10.5, and I don't recall there being an issue with VST3s in a very long time.