What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Geoff Grace

I had finally splurged on the full Spitfire Symphony Orchestra package just before this was announced....
Can someone please make me feel better about my purchase? :/
You ought to be able to make yourself feel better about your purchase within minutes after firing it up. It's still all the things it was when you bought it: top session players in a great room, sampled with care by Spitfire Audio.

Best,

Geoff

constaneum

You ought to be able to make yourself feel better about your purchase within minutes after firing it up. It's still all the things it was when you bought it: top session players in a great room, sampled with care by Spitfire Audio.

Best,

Geoff
one thing i felt about the Symphony series (my own personal view) and the Chamber strings libraries are these libraries to me are considered as experimental. They were the big things back then when they've started orchestra sampling....Before they were released and known as Symphony series, they were released per instrument section and then you have what mural strings, BML Phalanx series an etc. Then they constantly experiment new things and released as updates...such as the performance legato patch. Once everything seems solid, they've repackaged everything as Symphony series.

With all these knowledge gained throughout the years and as they've improved progressively over the years, here there are, BBC orchestral and the Studio Series are born. BBC orchestral may or may not sound better than Symphony series....It all depends on the quality of the recordings and the players recruited for the recording sessions. Symphony may even sound better than BBC but the only thing with Symphony is lack of flexibility in terms of choosing the mics. Not everyone is happy with Air Lyndhurst's wetness in Symphony series and there's nothing much you can do to control that sound. It's roomy...either you take it or leave it. On the other hand, BBC you can have it as dry as the Studio series and you can make it as wet as Air Lyndhurst with either its own mic since they offer lots and lots of mic options or use 3rd party reverb to simulate Air Lyndhurst hall

cqd

It's going to be 4 different plug ins by the looks of things?..
That's good anyway.. not too gone on the preset scrolling/saving in the spitfire plugin..

mralmostpopular

Seems like we are in the same boat @Pixelpoet1985. These are exactly the two points that did not convince me so far: the timbral range of the strings, and the fast legatos. All the rest sounds really nice.
I’m a little concerned about the fast legato myself. It sounds like notes may be slightly overlapping each other on fast passages, which sounds unrealistic. I noticed it in the Blaney demo. The runs sounded kind of programmed.

I’m hoping for a good demo of the library doing runs. The rest of the library sounds fantastic. It has a certain separation between the various instruments that I haven’t really heard much from other libraries. Overall, I think it’s going to be a great product to have.

Reactions: AEF

miket

The audio was flipped, and I thought I noticed a contrabass trombone playing when it was supposed to be a contrabass tuba. Taken down for a little more editing, probably.

As for the lower levels, and splitting the top cuivre layer into its own patch, I actually really like that. Maybe it has to do with the BBCSO being, well, a symphony orchestra, rather than a session group. They don't necessarily play with the more hyped dynamics that have become common in media music recording, and I'm all for that in this seemingly more classically orchestral context.

The warmth and blend that allows is well worth it, as evidenced by many recordings, or by what Cinesamples did with 90's Retro Trumpets.

Top Bottom