What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

You have to question some people’s devotion to their craft when they would rather use a sampled sleigh bell than spend a tenner on a real set - especially when said samples have no playable legatos or fast runs. I mean, come on guys, someone has to feed the poor sleigh bell maker’s kids right...RIGHT?! FFS! :mad:

I got this one like a year ago in a sale for about 180€ (1TB). Works nicely so far.
High quality indeed, but not as nicely looking or feeling as those from Samsung.

You have to question some people’s devotion to their craft when they would rather use a sampled sleigh bell than spend a tenner on a real set - especially when said samples have no playable legatos or fast runs. I mean, come on guys, someone has to feed the poor sleigh bell maker’s kids right...RIGHT?! FFS! :mad:
I actually have sleigh bells. I hang them from my front door to let me know if someone is going in or out. Never thought about sampling them. *dreams of becoming the next big sample maker based on sleigh bells* Yeah this could work. :)

I actually have sleigh bells. I hang them from my front door to let me know if someone is going in or out. Never thought about sampling them. *dreams of becoming the next big sample maker based on sleigh bells* Yeah this could work. :)

Don't try to sample them in an anechoic chamber. Apparently the way they excite the room simply cannot be captured this way.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but can anyone recommend a machine that is up to the task of hosting a decent amount of the BBC samples at once? I studied the screenshots and it seems that one "all articulation"-instrument ranges from 200 to 600 MB. I'm not talking all articulations however, but rather all instruments with their main articulations.
I'm considering buying a new PC (Dell Precision 7YDHY with 32 GB RAM), will this one for instance do its job or is it 64 GB and no less?
btw: Will the new sample engine work in Vienna Ensemble? As a VST3 it probably should, but who knows? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Would also like to know what would be the ideal (yet still reasonable) Mac configuration.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but can anyone recommend a machine that is up to the task of hosting a decent amount of the BBC samples at once? I studied the screenshots and it seems that one "all articulation"-instrument ranges from 200 to 600 MB. I'm not talking all articulations however, but rather all instruments with their main articulations.
I'm considering buying a new PC (Dell Precision 7YDHY with 32 GB RAM), will this one for instance do its job or is it 64 GB and no less?
btw: Will the new sample engine work in Vienna Ensemble? As a VST3 it probably should, but who knows? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Look at some of the HP Workstations. I cannot recommend Dell.

SPOILER - Leak of Spitfire walkthrough script:

Hi...Paul Thomson here from Spitfire Audio. I´m very excited today to show you a new and exciting library in collaboration with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. I´m just gonna jump right in first of all, and load up the Sleigh Bells patch.

Last edited:
Any word on the video that was mentioned to be released earlier this week?

I was wondering the same; hope it comes out tomorrow! :)

Also I'd hope for a walkthrough video of the main solo instruments (e.g. lead violin, etc.), especially to showcase the legato

I'm somewhat puzzled by the photo of a bass flute for the BBC orchestra on Spitfire's facebook page. There is no bass flute in the BBCSO as announced. So I take it that this implies expansions are coming. In one sense, that sounds great, but in another sense I feel that that takes away slightly from the idea of a universal starting point. Collaborators need to have the same expansions. Still, cool with more instruments. I guess I will need an Eb clarinet for my Shostakovich mock ups.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the photo of a bass flute for the BBC orchestra on Spitfire's facebook page. There is no bass flute in the BBCSO as announced. So I take it that this implies expansions are coming. In one sense, that sounds great, but in another sense I feel that that takes away slightly from the idea of a universal starting point. Collaborators need to have the same expansions. Still, cool with more instruments. I guess I will need an Eb clarinet for my Shostakovich mock ups.
Interesting!

Maybe this might be a late addition to the main library.

What other instruments are 'missing'?

Bass Flute
Alto Flute
Wagner Tuba?

BBC Symphony Orchestra Choir ??!

Do they have a Wagner Tuba in the BBC Orchestra? I'd be interested to see a list of all the instruments in the actual BBC orchestra and see how it compares to the Spitfire version. Though there are probably "standard orchestra" and "we need a few unusual instruments for this piece" orchestras

Euphonium, Bass Triangle, ContraBass Sleighbells, and Saxaphones etc. :)
Ooooo I want some ContraBass Sleighbells. I need to search online for that......

Edit - Did you know there is a band called Sleigh Bells? I didn't. However, no big huge bass sleigh bells. I'm disappointed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom