Spitfire Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by KallumS, May 10, 2019.

1. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    The sheer number of articulations and special articulations is staggering for such a low cost library. And they sound terrific. Plus... they're dry. Or pretty close to dry. Which is what I prefer in a sample library. Makes things a little harder, but not really once you know what you're doing. The performance legato is pretty spectacular, I think. They've gone the same route as 8Dio using velocity to trigger the portamento, but it seems more elegant somehow, and sounds more realistic. You can really tell that they worked very hard to make this library something special.

And, remember, I'm the guy who doesn't particularly like Albion One. But playing these in combination with Albion One creates a pretty spectacular sound.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  2. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    And it’s even safe to say that on this thread

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. Denkii

Denkii Member

Mar 15, 2019
    I feel good about your company.
    Let's snuggle.
    Screenshot_20190509-214543__01.jpg

4. Levon

Levon Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Do you have Chamber Strings? I’m still trying to decide between Chamber Strings vs Studio Strings (as part of 2018 Professional bundle)

5. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I don't have Chamber Strings and don't know if they are as dry as Studio Strings. But this video will tell you what you need to know about Studio Strings. It's what sold me.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  6. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Damn, this is significantly more interesting than I anticipated...though some of those things are both dry and possible in the BHCT.

Still...argh, I'm overbudget already. Maybe BF.

Probably BF ;)

jbuhler likes this.
  7. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I think Chamber Strings is great for areas where it shines. I also just picked up HZ Percussion and think it's absolutely fantastic for its specific purpose.

A lot of what Spitfire has created lately isn't my cup of tea. But I didn't know how far sample instruments had come until last year, when I came to hear their Symphonic line.

I was flabbergasted. I immediately contacted my composition professor, who has conducted major ensembles around the world. He, too, was flabbergasted. The fact is, when people put the work in, Spitfire libraries deliver great results. It might just not always be what some people are looking for.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  8. Ran Zhou

Ran Zhou Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Students friendly! So my pocket is empty, but souls and disks are fulfilled:)

9. Although I dislike their lately rather aggressive marketing and hyped approach, personally I can say only great things about Spitfire Audio products.

Ever since I've heard of Albion the first time, I've dreamed of having it. Not only because it's fantastic sound, but equally due to the "all-in-one" and "broad-stroke" orchestral library concept which I've encountered the very first time with Albion. For me this was a revolutionary find, since as a musician and composer who is not classically trained, I've always been quite "uninspired" when working with more traditional orchestral libraries which I've had before then. Unfortunately, I've finally took the plunge at the most inopportune time: in mid 2015., when its price for EU customers with VAT obligation was at its apex, and just before Spitfire decided to put it to pasture and replace it with Albion One. Still, I'm very glad I've purchased Albion Legacy and I still use it on a regular basis.

Since I'm trying to survive only from music for almost ten years now, my budget is often quite limited, but taking the advantage of every discount that was available, I've somehow managed to purchase quite a few of Spitfire libraries thus far, including Loegria, Tundra, Enigma, Earth, Artisan Cello and Violin, Felt Piano, Orchestral Grand and Aluphone. The thing is I just like the sound and feel of their libraries and they inspire me, not only due to the stellar resources they're made with but also due to their "imperfect sound and performance" credo that give every of their libraries such a unique charm.

I also have a majority of Spitfire Labs products for Kontakt and they often share similar traits with their more expensive brethren. In any case, I will likely purchase more of their products in the future, in accordance to my personal needs and abilities.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I still use Legacy, now that I think about it more than One!

whiskers likes this.
  11. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Anything in Legacy that's not in ONE?

12. ReelToLogic

ReelToLogic Still have my reel-to-reel

Jun 24, 2018
    I was going to put together of list of all the things I like about Spitfire, but then I saw this post and it's even better than what I had in mind! I have to say that the Spitfire folks seem like some of the most honest (who else would do a blind reverb test?) and helpful (so many insightful videos) folks around. They have earned my trust (and a bunch of my money). Thank you, Spitfire!