What's new

SPITFIRE - Announcing Spitfire Chamber Strings Professional

I linked to this a couple of years ago in another thread, but this video put out by Spitfire continues to be a very helpful comparison of the different mic positions that are now on offer in this "Professional" expansion. I just watched it again as I debate about whether to expand my options within SCS.

Super link Mucusman!
Spitfire should link it on the product page.
Thanks 'man!

Man, these extra mics are excellent and yes, they are quite different. Talk about spoiled for choice with this extension: there is now a bewildering array of options which has left me ... well ... bewildered, but in a good way. Until/if SA ever combines all these mics into their custom player, I can see no easy way to incorporate them all into a large template, especially Logic. Which is perhaps yet another reason to start taking said giant template to pieces and working on smaller options. How does everyone else cope?

They really need their own software, or at least something like OTs Capsule. The patches of SCS are a mess already, with the different nkis and the odd way the articulations are distributed. Now with the alt mics and mixes not even being in the same nkis as CTAO, it makes it even worse.

I don't see a way to jam this into a template. I've been moving away from those lately and am in the process of saving track presets of all my stuff in Cubase, so I can load things up on the fly from the Cubase Media Bay. Let's see how that goes. For SCS, this obviously still means setting up and saving presets of everything in three different versions (CTAO, Alt, Mixes), and you can't really mix and match CTAO and Alt Mics in a practical way either. They definitely need a solution here.

Man, these extra mics are excellent and yes, they are quite different. Talk about spoiled for choice with this extension: there is now a bewildering array of options which has left me ... well ... bewildered, but in a good way. Until/if SA ever combines all these mics into their custom player, I can see no easy way to incorporate them all into a large template, especially Logic. Which is perhaps yet another reason to start taking said giant template to pieces and working on smaller options. How does everyone else cope?
One track pr section with all articulations triggered by ArtzID. The combinatrix script in that allows me to join the different patches together so they function like one giant patch. Just a like a real orchestra/score...If I need divisi I just duplicate the track, so usually my string sections is never more than 10 tracks, and I can see everything in the score editor (piano roll makes no sense to me). I also use an iPad with TouchOSC to switch articulations.

Perhaps I have missed something but how much is the upgrade offer after May 10th? At the minute it’s £99 for me but I’m wondering how much it will be after in case I can’t afford it before the date.

Also yes, having Mic Positions all in the same GUI interface is something I would love to see.

Perhaps I have missed something but how much is the upgrade offer after May 10th? At the minute it’s £99 for me but I’m wondering how much it will be after in case I can’t afford it before the date.

Also yes, having Mic Positions all in the same GUI interface is something I would love to see.
+100

Will this eventually be released as a full package in the new player? If so, then all mic positions will be together.

The JJ mixes are very nice, very warm and just the right ambience.

They really need their own software, or at least something like OTs Capsule. The patches of SCS are a mess already, with the different nkis and the odd way the articulations are distributed. Now with the alt mics and mixes not even being in the same nkis as CTAO, it makes it even worse.

I don't see a way to jam this into a template. I've been moving away from those lately and am in the process of saving track presets of all my stuff in Cubase, so I can load things up on the fly from the Cubase Media Bay. Let's see how that goes. For SCS, this obviously still means setting up and saving presets of everything in three different versions (CTAO, Alt, Mixes), and you can't really mix and match CTAO and Alt Mics in a practical way either. They definitely need a solution here.

Agreed, and I too am experimenting with a patch-based solution, albeit in Logic. I hope the SA boffins are working on an integrated player for all their expansion libraries — and that they keep UACC for those of us who rely on artic switching via a tablet. HZS doesn't have UACC, right?

One track pr section with all articulations triggered by ArtzID. The combinatrix script in that allows me to join the different patches together so they function like one giant patch. Just a like a real orchestra/score...If I need divisi I just duplicate the track, so usually my string sections is never more than 10 tracks, and I can see everything in the score editor (piano roll makes no sense to me). I also use an iPad with TouchOSC to switch articulations.

Thanks Steely. I do use ArtzID but haven't tried the combinatrix script yet.

Okay, I'm confused. I added SCS Pro to my basket at the Spitfire site, just to see what the upgrade price would be. But when I went to checkout I received this message:

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 2.30.43 PM.png
How can I already own the product if I haven't bought it and it just came out? I did buy all the Sable stuff and the SCS updates etc, but nothing on my instrument GUIs indicates I have "SCS Pro"...at least none at which I looked. Anyone else see this? Is it time for a message to tech support?

Same here!:shocked:

Same here!:shocked:
We sorted this out a few pages ago. If you bought everything in Sable you already own it. Using the new Spitfire Audio library manager download two small (a few hundred MB each) updates, and they will bring you up to the correct version. Additional info is available earlier in this thread as well. Don't look for "Professional" on the GUI though; it's not there.

Last edited:
Will someone please tell me what I get for $16.49? I had Sable 1-4 (but not ensembles) and updated to SCS on release (without expansion).

AIR_-_SSO_diagram.svg

Those of you asking for all mic positions in the one patch should be careful what you wish for. The memory footprint, even purged, would be significant.

At one stage there I jettisoned the close and ambient mics from combo patches leaving just the tree. From memory Blake has a blog post how to do this. The memory saving was considerable.

Top Bottom