SPITFIRE - Announcing Spitfire Chamber Strings Professional

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Spitfire Team, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    Sorry guys....this is a clear case of throwing the frog in boiling water vs boiling it slowly.
    Im a newbie (tossed in boiling water). You guys are mostly seasoned pros (boiled alive slowly).

You see things for what they are when it comes at you all at once vs a little bit at a time.

2. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Not following you.

Maybe there are different definitions of 'saturation' floating around here?

3. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    If I look at 8dio or East West, I definitely see behavior that suggest an oversaturated market. If I look at Orchestral Tools and Spitfire, however, I see a fairly healthy market with companies attempting a rational expansion of their market from a small professional market (with large margins but small sales) into a wider semi-pro and hobbyist market (with much tighter margins but much larger sales). Spitfire is actually attempting a price increase as it ports its Evo line to the SF player. That is not the behavior of a company working in an oversaturated market. In any case, I think almost all the behavior can be better explained by a bifurcated market requiring distinct strategies to maximize profits.

whiskers and James H like this.
  4. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016

Maybe this is a niggle, but it strikes me that the crazy sales from 8dio are just that the market has show their older products to have failed to compete - ie Adagio/ Claire clearly haven't held their value in the way that SCS/SSW have (whether because of quality and/or because failure to anticipate what the market wants). In contrast, East West is milking a much older product on which the development costs have presumably been recovered long ago, but which was of high enough quality to retain significant value. So the cloud model in particularly is seems a perfectly natural evolution of that business model, which isn't really competeing in the same space as VSL / Spitfire / OT.

And I certain agree that we're almost certain seeing bifurcating dynamics of some sort, as evident in OT having sales through NI (which is not exactly the tradition portal for buying your high end professional orchestral samples, though the actual libraries remain exactly that).

So this strikes me more competitive market dynamics as usual than saturation.

But Spitfire in particular seems very healthy (especially when judged from the amount of money they're apparently able to convince me to give them). And there still seems to be room for other companies, provided they're able to genuinely innovation and/or find a niche (Strezoz, Embertone, Vir Harmonic, Light and Sound, CSS etc).

So a maturing, competitive, evolving market certainly. But by all appearances quite a healthy one. Which I don't think is the same as saturated.

Yep, Definitely a niggle.

5. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    Look how many VI componies there are. Composing music on a daw isnt something that gets brought up at most casual conversation....meaning its not a common thing people do....and yet i have more string library choices than i do takeout pizza options for dinner tonight

6. Robert_G

Feb 6, 2019
    The line between competitive and saturated is hair thin.

7. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Which is, of course, utterly ridiculous. 8Dio's strings are superb and, for my taste, a better buy. I really think that a lot of it comes down to popularity and the "cool" factor. It's like Macs vs. PCs. Both are great and do the job. But Macs are much higher priced and considered "cool" by many. Diss a Mac and you'll hear about it. It's the same thing with Spitfire. Brand loyalty is pretty fierce.

8. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Not trying to make a value judgement. Its just that the adagio violas were on sale for $18 recently. That all I was saying.

So "held their market value" would have been clearer, but I though that was clear from the context.

9. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Yes, I didn't state clearly what I meant to say. It's not that I think 8dio and East West are operating in an oversaturated market but rather that if I looked only at their practices that I might believe that the market was oversaturated because it is behavior consistent with that hypothesis—when the marginal cost of a product, as is the case with sample libraries, is basically zero, the only price floor is giving the library away. But they are not the only ones in the market, and in a bifurcated market there are other rational explanations for their pricing, as you note. BTW, I also think you can explain the free instruments all the big companies are now either delivering or promising as not simply attempting to generate goodwill and fostering brand loyalty, but also constructing very real barriers to entry for small firms wanting to get started.

ism likes this.
  10. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
  11. kyleogren

kyleogren Member

Mar 20, 2019
    YES. Jumping on this deal - I have lots of string libraries, but I'm very confident that SCS will serve an important purpose/fill a gap in my VI's. At half price, I think I'd seriously regret not buying!!

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  12. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Not sure if pro or regular.. Though I'm thinking pro now is cheaper then a Christmas wish list upgrade later?

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  13. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    Sorry, haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else has said.
    I believe this sale is a result of Spitfire marketing working well, not market saturation. IMO....
    • The 24 hour sale numbers will be very healthy, and the library will make considerably more money in the sale window than it would have with no sale.
    • The sale price opens up a purchase for a group of SF customers who were unlikely to purchase at full price, but can justify a half price purchase.
    • Hype and panic buying FTW.
    If a sample library normally retails at £1000, and it's discounted on sale to £500, it's "true" price is somewhere in the middle. It'll make more money long term if the price is "rotated" across different sections of the customer base.

My 2c. Napkin maths. Probably someone from SF will chime in and set me straight. :)

whiskers likes this.
  14. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    what?

15. I'm in. I'm leaning towards the regular. After watching the demos again, I think having the close, tree and ambient mics provides a decent amount of variety. After purchasing the Studio Strings that only had the tree mic, I swore I would never get another library if that was the only option.

whiskers likes this.
  16. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    None of which really negates what I said. I think 8Dio is doing what is commonly done to stimulate sales. Sunday newspapers are full of page after page of sales. This is what establishments that aren't "blessed" by the cool have to do to generate interest.

17. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    seems like an accurate assessment, mostly. Not sure on the first bullet though. I definitely fall in the category of the second bullet, however.

18. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Just realized this is a commercial thread, so I probably shouldn't be mentioning 8dio in the first place, any more that you should be attacking spitfire.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  19. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    It’s weird, but if you access the thread on mobile it doesn’t say which forum the post is in. I’ve given up trying to monitor responses on that count.

galactic orange likes this.
  20. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Good point about it being a commercial thread. But I didn't attack Spitfire at all.