What's new

SPITFIRE - Announcing Spitfire Chamber Strings Professional

Thanks, I guess there's no way to find out what the ends up with if one has bought both SCS and Mural volumes in the past.

Thanks, I guess there's no way to find out what the ends up with if one has bought both SCS and Mural volumes in the past.
This is my guess...

If it costs people £/€300 as full price to upgrade from only SCS, but it's on offer for £/€100 (approx) now, then the current offer price is one-third of full price that a new SCS user would pay.

So for previous Sable (I think it's Sable not Mural?) users, I would look at whatever the Checkout page calculates it would cost today with other Sable volumes taken into account, and multiply by 3.

For example if the Checkout page says it would cost £/€20 to upgrade today, my guess would be that after the current offer ends, it might cost £/€60.

The ratio (between full price and the $99 offer) is probably different for $ pricing?

But this is a total guess!

Thanks - I have SCS already, and thinking about it, Mural shouldn't mean anything in the context (but would mean something if I'll go for the extra mics for SSS, which I also have - after having updated from Mural 1/2).
So based on your Logic, the answer is probably around 300 then (without an EDU discount, maybe around 200 with a discount), since it's 100 now. Can anyone from SF chime in on this?

Spitfire Chamber Strings is one of my favorite libraries. It is my go to for strings. I can't say enough about it. I absolutely LOVE this library!

I will be upgrading to the pro version. Excited about the new mic positions and re-mixes.

Got a reply from SF: “If the price is currently $99 for you, once the promotional period is over this will cost £199 / $249 / €249 respectively.”
Interesting. But at the same time I'm now more confused!

On the SF website, for me in the UK, it says that
  • SCS is £599 and
  • SCS Pro is £799 but that's shown as a promotional price,
  • and full price of SCS Pro appears to be £899.

That suggests a £300 difference from SCS to SCS Pro (599 to 899) when the promotion ends.

If it's £199 as they've told you, why would anyone ever pay £899 for SCS Pro in one hit if they could buy SCS for £599 and then upgrade for £199, total price £798?

Or is there a perpetual discount for people who bought SCS before the deadline - that would seem very odd though?

I use the stereo mixes to save RAM but the Pro is really not that necessary. Everybody should have the standard package though - it'll never be cheaper.

They are offering their flagship product that cheap, which is weird but good for customers. Buy it people, this is my most favourite Spitfire library. I just hope these practices of flash sales and cheap dirt price point don't bring the whole sample library market down. 8Dio is doing the same thing. OT has done exactly the same. Happy customers though :) Sometimes I really feel for these companies. It's a bit thankless job by passionate people who produce great sample libraries like this in touch economies, and then that leads to this...

They are offering their flagship product that cheap, which is weird but good for customers. Buy it people, this is my most favourite Spitfire library. I just hope these practices of flash sales and cheap dirt price point don't bring the whole sample library market down. 8Dio is doing the same thing. OT has done exactly the same. Happy customers though :) Sometimes I really feel for these companies. It's a bit thankless job by passionate people who produce great sample libraries like this in touch economies, and then that leads to this...

Dont take this the wrong way, but perhaps you dont know a saturated industry when you see one. As someone with many hobbies...i do know what market saturation looks like.

Ive only been into this hobby for less than 6 months and the first thing that became obvious to me is that the virtual instrument market is so far past saturated...its rediculous. I dont know how some companies even stay afloat. Flash sales and deep discounts are here to stay. Welcome to a new reality.

Dont take this the wrong way, but perhaps you dont know a saturated industry when you see one. As someone with many hobbies...i do know what market saturation looks like.

Ive only been into this hobby for less than 6 months and the first thing that became obvious to me is that the virtual instrument market is so far past saturated...its rediculous. I dont know how some companies even stay afloat. Flash sales and deep discounts are here to stay. Welcome to a new reality.
Not so saturated that it is not attracting new investment, however. Which I think is most interesting. (According to rumors (but ones that seem reliable), both Spitfire and Orchestral Tools have received recent new external funding, and the move of both after getting the new investment was to bring out new sample players, for what that's worth.)

Last edited:
Hmm, not clear to me at all that 'saturation' is what's happening in the market.

Something's shifting for sure. Perhaps is normal market maturation. Perhaps Spitfire and OT have amazing new next generation deep sampling technology around the corner. Or perhaps the context of these price drops is the proliferation of more, but smaller budget media projects, which shifts to the economics such that lower prices end up being more profitable.

It could be that there's a massive influx of new users (like myself) who instead of just buying a GPO or VSL SE once or twice a decade have found the innovations of the last few years open up huge new expressive possibilities, and the combination of price drop and quality have hit some kind of critical level. I'd argue that for $2-3000 now you can get a vastly broader and deeper set of libraries that you could with, say, $15 000 of VLS libraries a decade ago, not to mention that a decade or so ago you basically needed to run a server farm, whereas now you just need a laptop.

There's also been a lot of 'horizontal' innovation opening up, starting - for me, emblematically at least - with Albion V. It's never going to be worth it for me to spend thousands of dollars to just get more and more deeply sampled state of the art trombones in the way it might be for a professional. But given sample libraries like Albion V, OACE, Time Macro, BDT etc which open up such an exciting new expressive spaces (in ways that a slightly better trombone legato doesn't) it is (apparently) entirely worth it for me to go a bit crazy in buying all these libraries.

No idea what's driving all of this, but to get SCS for $350, is incredible, compared to even a couple of years ago. And it's going to be interesting to see where this is going.

In a way the orchestral library market is saturated, in another way it isn't - because there are still new libraries being released which either sound better than other libraries, or are a lot more use friendly. Besides, saturation has to do with price. By halting the price (permanently or occasionally) SF and others search out to other people than those who usually belong to their market. And as we all know, a string library is only a string library, and they all have limitations - which is why it makes sense to have more of them (if one actually use them, that is).
The full Sable series used to cost a lot more than the current SCS list price, and that same library is still selling. IMO all this illustrates well than when a lot of work is put into a library, and the result is as good as it is with SCS and the other really good string libraries, they can keep selling for years.

Hmm, not clear to me at all that 'saturation' is what's happening in the market.

Sorry guys....this is a clear case of throwing the frog in boiling water vs boiling it slowly.
Im a newbie (tossed in boiling water). You guys are mostly seasoned pros (boiled alive slowly).

You see things for what they are when it comes at you all at once vs a little bit at a time.

Sorry guys....this is a clear case of throwing the frog in boiling water vs boiling it slowly.
Im a newbie (tossed in boiling water). You guys are mostly seasoned pros (boiled alive slowly).

You see things for what they are when it comes at you all at once vs a little bit at a time.

Not following you.

Maybe there are different definitions of 'saturation' floating around here?

Top Bottom