Spitfire Alternative Solo Strings Demo

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Alex Niedt, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Alex Niedt

Alex Niedt Active Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I think this is a great library for modern avant-garde material. Just have to play to its strengths. Next I want to see how Alternative Solo Strings sounds with LCO Strings. Wondering if they might be a match made in heaven for scratchy, dissonant stuff!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    excellent.

Sounds great.

Damn I missed the sale. This sold me on them!

Alex Niedt and ka00 like this.
  3. Kony

Kony Bad ape

Jul 29, 2016
    Great track Alex - love that sound!

Alex Niedt likes this.
  4. ok_tan

ok_tan vamos!

Mar 18, 2017
    Indonesia
    great track. i have that library but somehow couldn't connect to it - you track is very inspirational :)

Alex Niedt and ka00 like this.
  5. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I call this the Alex Niedt effect: being sold on a sample library Alex demos a few days after the sale has ended. Happened twice to me already.

Same here. I too have the library, but haven't really dug deeply into it and this demo is inspiring.

ism, sostenuto, Alex Niedt and 2 others like this.
  6. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    bit of a late-breaking question here, but would you say AltSS only shines in somewhat dissonant contexts? Or is it a little more versatile than that?

I know it's a dry library, so wondering how easy it would be to blend with another string lib.

Great demo!

7. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016

Can't claim remotely the skill of Alex, but I think his comment about its affinity with LCO is illuminating.

In the same way that LCO certainly can do lots of fun dissonance and horror, but I bought it for its lovely textures, AltSS can push into dissonance, but also shines for beautiful, if slightly rough, textures.

Maybe I'll have a go at such a demo myself, but I'd really love to hear such a demo by Alex ...

whiskers likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Alex Niedt

Alex Niedt Active Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thanks all!
    I think if you're wanting it to blend with other libraries for more standard fare, you may find yourself fighting its built-in character. It seems made for the purpose of the rougher, scratchier, more dissonant avant-garde material, and I would typically suggest utilizing a library like this for the things in which it definitely excels. This goes for LCO, too. Sure, there are some articulations you can layer with other stuff, but when I layer a short from LCO, for instance, I'm doing so because I desire that modern edge. Character libraries will almost always be best utilized for their intended purpose. Hope this helps!

whiskers likes this.