What's new

Spitfire Albion One - Opinions and Impressions

No such error here. The patches all load as expected in both the standalone version of Kontakt and in Kontakt in Cubase Pro 8.03. I am running a 2014 Mac Pro...maybe this is a Windows problem or specific to a certain DAW??
I have the error in either case...also on Mac and Cubase.

Not much to say, except I think it's lovely - already using the short strings+winds and percussion - synth stuff seems very inspiring too (and the string legatos are promising, but of course a bit limited). Glad I bought the upgrade.

Not much to say, except I think it's lovely - already using the short strings+winds and percussion - synth stuff seems very inspiring too (and the string legatos are promising, but of course a bit limited). Glad I bought the upgrade.

Me too. Because I'm using Albion 1 for specific purposes, I'm not having to deal with some of the problems listed, though I'm sure they exist. Albion 1 is a powerhouse library, and at this point the Albions overall stack up to what for me has been by far the standard in the industry, East West. The fact that there are relatively fewer glitches than in the Play engine really makes Spitfire stand out.

Speaking of East West (forgive the off topic please), it's a major disappointment to me that the Play engine was so recently updated...with so little of the omnipresent problems solved. At the same time it's hard for me to let go of the EW, for the simple fact that the grand majority of the libraries sound SO good imo. Albion to me can sound just as good, but for me the ultimate joy comes from their teaming up :)

I have the error in either case...also on Mac and Cubase.
Hmm, well does that then suggest a problem with your download or file structure?? I can't say for certain since I can't reproduce your problem. What download did you do...v1.0 or v1.1? Did you do a batch resave and were any problems noted? My batch resave went perfectly, but some others mentioned their's did not.

Brand new download. Others say they are experiencing the same thing. I'll have to check the version.

I couldn't resist and bought the upgrade yesterday. Now that i'm playing with it my very first impression is that, out of the box, i definitely prefer the somewhat raw and organic sound of Albion Legacy. But i can sense right away that with Albion One it'll be much easier for me to sketch new ideas and write full compositions. To me, the magic comes when i layer both One and Legacy patches where it's appropriate.

One has a rather light and quite compressed sound to it, which is really easy on the ears. That's great for me when i want to try things out or just write without getting overly concerned about the sound itself. But Legacy, on the other hand, has such a rich and full sound, which is what made Spitfire such a unique developer in the first place, in my opinion. Albion One doesn't quite have that. So i'm more than thankful that Spitfire decided to keep the Legacy content for us to use, because that's where the library really shines now. I'll write with One for the most part now, as it's incredibly easy to use, sounds great and is just a joy to work with all around. But in mixing stage, where i'm trying to find the right and ideal tone for the whole piece, i'll definitely keep using Legacy a lot. I'll layer them wherever possible to get the best of both worlds.

To me Albion Legacy wasn't always exactly easy to mix, as great as it sounds. I feel that One will be much more convienent in that regard. So i think they accompany each other very well instead of one replacing the other. Have in mind that's my very first impression of it after trying it out for myself. But it confirms what i assumed from the demos, reviews and what i've read on forums like this.

Anyone got any idea how i can control the attack of the con sordino strings? I was always missing that with Legacy. You know that really soft Morricone style fade in. I can do that with the modwheel/dynamics to an extent, but wherever the progression goes from there the notes come in rather abruptly. Probably the only thing i'm missing now that i have some control over the release.

Cheers.

The comment about the quality of Albion 1 did come earlier. I got the Albion bundle and wish I could get my hand on Albion 1 (not Albion One)

have a look into the individual patches folder. besides the octivated hi strings and octivated hi strings CS there are no longs articulations from legacy included.

I'm almost positive that Albion Legacy is not included in Albion One. They left some parts of Legacy in Albion One because they didn't think they could do any better, so they didn't record new material for those particular articulations - for example, a lot of the FX patches). But a huge majority of the content in Legacy isn't available in One. I wouldn't have purchased Albion Legacy when it was on sale and advertised as "the last chance to own it" if I knew I could just purchase Albion One and get all of the content from both libraries at the same price.

I stand corrected. Only the "String Low" patch contains a sustained articulation. For all the other sections they are missing. Even in the Cog and normal patches. That's a shame actually. Why wouldn't they just keep them completely?

Last edited:
Top Bottom