Spinoff: Connecting two MIDI controllers up in studio

bill5

Bill, first of all nobody is here as a service to you.
And at no time did I imply that in any way, but thanks for another snotty remark.

Second, it really isn't necessary to get shirty.
Ironic, given what you just said, to say nothing of your previous couple of posts (which were at least maybe debatable in that way). I was not the one making insulting "you don't know what MIDI is" cracks. I pointed you to my post where I stated plainly that I knew what MIDI was and when you again insinuated I didn't, I said I don't know how else to explain it to you. I still don't. I don't know how that's getting "shirty."

Next time I won't bother, and I sure hope nobody else here does either.
Wow thanks. I'm glad you took the high road and aren't getting "shirty."

Last edited:
OP
B

bill5

This analogy is so terrible I can't decide if I love it or hate it. I always say, bad analogies are like turtles.
I'm confused. No one seems to have a problem with that remark but sounds far more "shirty" than anything I said. PS I don't have a problem with it and not even really disagreeing, but it seems to me some people are on a shorter leash than others...

OP
B

bill5

Bill, I also could not quite grasp what you were stating nor what you're able to understand, because your line of questioning makes it sound as if you don't really know what MIDI is. There's nothing wrong with that, but please do not berate other members for trying to help you by assessing your experience.
a) I berated no one. Shortcoming of online communications maybe but I'm not seeing how you or he got that. b) For the absolute final time, I know what MIDI is. What I wasn't as clear on is what if any impact an audio interface has on it. My bad for asking I guess.

Fredeke

Maybe @chillbot knows what protocol MIDI 1.0 is, as defined in the early 80s and used without fundamental change to this day with hardware instruments (I don't count NRPNs, 14-bit, and MPE as fundamental changes, but rather features built upon the unchanged foundations), but he's confused about modern computer implementations, like virtual MIDI instruments, and MIDI over USB ? 'Cause that's a whole new bag of snakes...

Anyway, that's the only explaination I can think of for the fragment of discussion I see here, about an audio interface impacting MIDI. USB spaghetti plates can act up unpredictably sometimes, and also audio interfaces often double as MIDI interface... Me, I got rid of some troubles (but not all) by removing any USB hub between the computer and MIDI and/or audio interfaces (or USB keyboards/synths).

Maybe I'm not getting the discussion, but these are my 2 cents anyway.

Also, because this is the Drama Zone, I though I'd pour some gasoline onto this dying fire, just to enjoy watching the flames. [UPDATE: well that was a disappointment ;)]

Last edited: