Spiderman (Elfman) mockup

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Sovereign, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

Stuyding Elfman's score of Spiderman 1/2 I tested a couple of bars just to see if I could get it close enough. Unintentionally, however, my good and limited intentions morphed into a complete mockup of the whole thing.

It's one of my favorite Elfman scores, I hope you enjoy the result as much as I do. Tried to get as close as possible with samples although I'm sure could have tweaked it to death even more.

Edit: Be sure to download the mp3, the online player seems only to play part of it.

Edit 2:

Forgot a listing of libraries used. Here goes:

Brass and strings: Jaeger exclusively, except for solo horn and Trumpet.
    Solo horn and Trumpet: Cinebrass.
    Choir: 8Dio Insolidus
    Woodwinds: CineWinds, Spitfire Studio Woodwinds (only flute flutter)
    Percussion: CinePerc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Wow.

I'm curious, how did you tackle the string runs? EDIT: I just saw your other post, that everything is Jaeger. Sounds amazing.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    @Sovereign This sounds Wonderful !

Very well done. Bravo and Thanks for sharing.

I have Jaeger, but have not spent much time with it yet, so this is tempting me to begin discovering, and using it. Everything sounded very natural, rich sounding in this demo. I also like the Percussion you used from Jaeger.

On a side note : I would love to see Audio Imperia release a Comprehensive Strings Library. offering more strings articulations, ..etc. Maybe we will get lucky, and see this happen this year. :)

Sovereign and audioimperia like this.
  4. artomatic

artomatic I Compose With My Ears

Aug 27, 2016
    You've done a marvelous job with Jaeger! And the mockup. Much respect!

Sovereign likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Thanks guys for the comments.

Well, not everything, but brass and strings, yeah. Which runs, in particular, do you mean?

6. Divico

Divico Senior Member

Performance wise REALLY good. Mixing wise the sound is too direct and clinical for me. More distance and ambience would have been great.

Sovereign likes this.
  7. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I was thinking of 1:29, 1:44, 2:41. I'm guessing the first of those is slurred and the second two are something more like spiccatos?

What strikes me about this mockup is how expressive it feels, how it naturally builds and opens up. I always liked this Elfman piece because it feels like he takes it to 11. Like, he could have ended the idea at 2:26, but he takes it up a step further than you'd think is even possible. Your mockup does this too, it's really quite an achievement.

Sovereign likes this.
  8. Studio E

Studio E Eric Watkins

Wow! Great work! I wish I had the courage to take something like this on. Amazing job on this!

Sovereign likes this.
  9. josejherring

josejherring Senior Member

You did great. Man I am such a sucker for that bongo hi-hat going with stacc strings. That is such a cool combination. It pops and is distinct rather than being the mush that goes along with so many hybrid scores these days.

Has me looking into Jaeger. I like the low brass in the library and the perc isn't half bad either.

Sovereign likes this.
  10. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    The percussion feels quite accurate to the original, great job!

Sovereign likes this.
  11. BenHicks

BenHicks New Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This is really well done! Great work.

Sovereign likes this.
  12. mike829

mike829 New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    This is great! Love the sound you got out of the bongos and hi-hats. Very expressive and nice programming! My only suggestion would be to add a bit more ambience to the ensemble. Nice job!

Here is a mash-up I did a while back of Elfman's trilogy themes and John Paesano's themes from the recent Spider-Man PS4 game.

Sovereign likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    The runs at 1:29 are slurred with accents (layered legato+stac), and depending on the starting point of the round robbins they sound better (or less good). That was actually pretty much the only real wall I hit, getting those two bars to sound good. The others are staccatos and spiccatos yes. As for the expressiveness, did my best to approximate that. It's mostly CC and volume 'trickery' which does the job, the arpeggios took some work to sound good too. It's all in the phrasing I guess. I molded it until each section on its own sounded 'real' enough. I also, unless really necessary, never quantize too much.

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  14. MOMA

MOMA Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Top notch - all the way!

MOMA

Sovereign likes this.