What's new

Spectrasonics....in 7 days...

When Spectrasonics dropped the UVI engine and built their own I thought, "OK here it comes... libraries galore based on the Steam Engine." Spectrasonic's development has been positively glacial. This was the last thing I would have guessed coming out of them after 10 years. Stylus 2.0 or some wicked groove pattern rhythmic beast would have made more sense to me but maybe Eric just wanted to get to play with all these older instruments. I'm sure this will be a very "musical" sounding VST. Spectrasonics have always deliver that. For me the price is too steep. For 50 bucks more than this library I just picked up a Yamaha SY99. Real, visceral, (not sampled - well sort of but real FM too ). Apples and oranges for sure but a real living piece of history. Not samples of it...

It's a popular one and if he can nail both the control and the sound (most libraries fit the "pick one" category), it'll become the standard library for many many people. That alone would make it a winner.

I hope you're right about that because if this library works out, it will save an enormous amount of time.

Slightly funny side note: 2 things seem to be in for a sales bump after this video: Roland A88 controllers and that crazy-looking Gibraltar keyboard stand. My first thought was "yeah, sounds great, but what is THAT?!?" ;)

Not sure the A88 is going to get a sales bump. It has one serious issue... its length. 56.81" before you put it in the case. Makes it really difficult to transport it (along with other things needed for a gig) in a reasonably sized vehicle.

The focus on this library seems to be EPs with just that Yamaha grand included. But even with that in mind, in 2016 I would probably not buy a virtual piano without support of a continuous sustain pedal for half pedaling emulation. The classical pieces sounded pretty much drowning in pedal to me, so I suppose it is not a feature. Couldn't find any information on that at the spectrasonics website. Does anybody know with certainty?
In case anyone's interested: I asked Spectrasonics and they told me, the grand does not support half pedaling. They also said, they do not find half pedaling would improve playability. Hmm ... I guess I have to disagree with that!

In case anyone's interested: I asked Spectrasonics and they told me, the grand does not support half pedaling. They also said, they do not find half pedaling would improve playability. Hmm ... I guess I have to disagree with that!
At least they were honest unlike Garritan with CFX and the long awaited update (which will never come I'm afraid)

This product with this range of instruments and sounds at this price is wildly good. Wildly good indeed. It shall be mine.

When Spectrasonics dropped the UVI engine and built their own I thought, "OK here it comes... libraries galore based on the Steam Engine." Spectrasonic's development has been positively glacial. This was the last thing I would have guessed coming out of them after 10 years. Stylus 2.0 or some wicked groove pattern rhythmic beast would have made more sense...

Man was I hoping this was going to be Stylus RMX 2. Keyscape looks like killer product, but man oh man RMX needs some serious updating... I feel like I'm dusting it off whenever I open it and the UI needs serious attention...

Stylus RMX HAS to be the longest running version 1 product in VI history by now.

And agreed, It's great for hardcore keyboard players but not too useful for me...

Last edited:
I have been realizing there is much to learn about Stylus RMX. I don't quite understand the file structure and I am planning to move to 64 bit and not sure if the libraries will be recognized. I have a lot of 9volt sounds.

Stylus is 64 bit.Hosts fine in Logic Live and Studio One.. The problem is that the file converter is broken in El Cap. It's super out of date and the last time I used it it wouldn't even let me enter characters.

This thread is reminding me it's that time again to nag Spectrasonics with an email. Selling a product with a broken file converter has taken one of my favorite developers down quite a few pegs... It's a pricy piece of kit for no guarantees it'll see an update again. :cautious:

And converting rex2 to a proprietary format? Get out of town man. It's 2017 Persing! RMX should import wave and detect transients by now... I won't hold my breath...

Stylus is 64 bit.Hosts fine in Logic Live and Studio One.. The problem is that the file converter is broken in El Cap. It's super out of date and the last time I used it it wouldn't even let me enter characters.

This thread is reminding me it's that time again to nag Spectrasonics with an email. Selling a product with a broken file converter has taken one of my favorite developers down quite a few pegs... It's a pricy piece of kit for no guarantees it'll see an update again. :cautious:

And converting rex2 to a proprietary format? Get out of town man. It's 2017 Persing! RMX should import wave and detect transients by now... I won't hold my breath...
thanks for your reply. RMX seems like a pretty cool plug. I wish there was a way to audition faster. There are some great sounds in there but building a kit or presets I have not figured out. Clicking a lot through menus.

thanks for your reply. RMX seems like a pretty cool plug. I wish there was a way to audition faster. There are some great sounds in there but building a kit or presets I have not figured out. Clicking a lot through menus.
You bet Joe. Amen to that! The browser's definitely outdated too... Hopefully with enough people nagging they'll bring RMX to a version 2... I'd hate to see it go into the legacy pile...

Top Bottom