What's new

SPAT Revolution is out

pmcrockett

Bumping this to inquire whether anyone working as a composer has used this yet and if so, what they think of the workflow. There's a 50% off upgrade from Spat v3 running through Dec., and while I plan to demo Revolution myself, I'm also interested in others' experiences.

heisenberg

I have SPAT v3 and just went to the Fluxhome site, used ilok userid and no discount showing in the cart. Is there a coupon code?

pmcrockett

I have SPAT v3 and just went to the Fluxhome site, used ilok userid and no discount showing in the cart. Is there a coupon code?
There's no coupon code, and I haven't tried it myself to confirm, but the email I got from Flux said "To take advantage of this offer, go to our online store and enter your iLok user account id, then select the Spat Revolution, and your discount will appear in the cart automatically."

If you're trying at https://www.fluxhome.com/store, try https://www.flux.audio/shop/ instead. It looks like the former site is still valid, but the product page links to the latter when you click buy.

EDIT: Discount works for me at https://www.flux.audio/shop/.

Nicola74

Do you use Spat Revolution for orchestral music?
I use a lot VSL, Sample Modeling brass...so maybe this could be a good (or better...) alternative to Mir Pro.

pmcrockett

Do you use Spat Revolution for orchestral music?
I use a lot VSL, Sample Modeling brass...so maybe this could be a good (or better...) alternative to Mir Pro.
I currently use Spat v3, which is the older VST version of Spat Revolution (which is a standalone program with flexible routing options). Spat v3 is excellent, but no longer available for purchase and no longer being updated, though you might still be able to find someone willing to sell their license. Revolution looks like it does basically the same thing as v3 but has the advantage of more available inputs so you wouldn't need multiple instances and the disadvantage of being a standalone program whose VST bridging is still in beta. Revolution is also super expensive ($1790 full price).

I was going to demo Revolution, but I've pretty much decided that even with the discount (which brings it down to just under $900) I can't justify the cost for the possible benefit it would give me over v3 -- composers really aren't their target market at this point. I'll ride out v3's lifespan, and if/when it becomes unsuable due to lack of support or OS updates, I'll explore other options. Flux puts their products on sale, and I expect we'll eventually see general 50% off sales on Revolution like there were on Spat v3, so I don't feel like I need to be in a hurry to upgrade.

EDIT: The other thing that makes me reluctant to upgrade is that, as pointed out earlier in the thread, the underlying spatialization tech doesn't seem to have changed from v3. I doubt that this tech is ever going to change substantially, because it was developed by IRCAM and not by Flux. The Flux devs would either have to understand the algorithms well enough to improve them or get IRCAM involved again -- or maybe IRCAM would have to be involved regardless; I don't know how the licensing works -- but in any case, Revolution seems designed to make Spat more convenient for production houses than the VST was, and that's entirely consistent with the goal of the IRCAM partnership, which was to make IRCAM's work more accessible to the industry. So compared with v3, I think Revolution is designed to give the tech to more or different people and not to change the tech itself.

Last edited:

Nicola74

Hi Pmctockett, thanks for the answer.
Do you have also Mir Pro for a comparison?
Do you need a engineering master degree to use Spat v3 or not?
There are no enough video to understand what to expect from It...

pmcrockett

Hi Pmctockett, thanks for the answer.
Do you have also Mir Pro for a comparison?
Do you need a engineering master degree to use Spat v3 or not?
There are no enough video to understand what to expect from It...
I don't have Mir, unfortunately, so I can't compare. For what it's worth, I chose Spat instead of Mir back when I bought it, but I'm also very much into the detailed customization aspect of Spat and had been fooling around with early reflection simulation on my own before buying it. I also wasn't sold on the demos I heard of Mir as applied to VSL instruments. My impression of Mir is that it's easier to use and probably a better one-stop shop for full reverb (I mostly use Spat to match dry libraries to wet libraries and run its output through a separate reverb).

I use VSL and Samplemodeling stuff, too, and was able to design Spat presets that do a reasonable simulation of the various mic positions of the EW Hollywood series, but it took extensive tweaking to do it. I think the amount of value you'd get out of Spat depends on how dissatisfied you are with Mir and how much control you want to be able to have over the sound.

If v3 were still in production, I'd say demo it then wait for a sale if you like it. As things are now, I can't recommend anyone get into Spat Revolution at its current price, especially because we don't know how well the new format works for heavy-duty DAW-based composition. Whether a used v3 license is worth trying to track down, I'm not sure. If you can get it cheap and aren't concerned about the possibility of it breaking in the future, it may be worth going for. For comparison, I think Spat v3 bundled with the rest of the IRCAM tools was about $1200 retail, and I got that bundle on sale for $600. Spat v3 by itself used to sell used for as low as $400. I don't know what the used market for it is like now.

But as far as demoing goes, if you really want to explore Spat, Revolution has a 30-day demo. Its actual capabilities in terms of spatialization appear to be the same as v3, so assuming you could get the DAW routing for it figured out, it would give you an idea of what Spat does.

EDIT: I wrote the above assuming that you already have Mir and are exploring Spat. If you don't have either, Mir is probably the better, or at least less risky, choice at this point.

Last edited:

colony nofi

Spat V3 is still very much available for purchase. It is a very different target market and personally expect that it is not going away any time soon.
I've just finished mixing a score with it - and love it for verbs for instrumental/orchestral content. The surround capabilities alone place it in a very group of plugs - there are few that are true surround. (I use altiverb surround as well, but spat more these days.)

Revolution is for larger, massively multichannel / immersive environments. Its incredible what it can do - but I'm not sure I would be using it (for the moment) on orchestral, (standard surround) sessions. However, the one time I have played with it for a multichannel installation, i was incredibly impressed.
(I use multi-channel SPATs inside MAXMSP regularly - and revolution now brings some of those ideas (and more) to a DAW workflow.)

Cheers, B.

colony nofi

btw : you should be able to jump straight into V3 without reading anything about it - though it is fun to go thru docs if you want to explore things in greater detail.

Nicola74

Spat V3 is still very much available for purchase. It is a very different target market and personally expect that it is not going away any time soon.
I've just finished mixing a score with it - and love it for verbs for instrumental/orchestral content. The surround capabilities alone place it in a very group of plugs - there are few that are true surround. (I use altiverb surround as well, but spat more these days.)

Revolution is for larger, massively multichannel / immersive environments. Its incredible what it can do - but I'm not sure I would be using it (for the moment) on orchestral, (standard surround) sessions. However, the one time I have played with it for a multichannel installation, i was incredibly impressed.
(I use multi-channel SPATs inside MAXMSP regularly - and revolution now brings some of those ideas (and more) to a DAW workflow.)

Cheers, B.
Could you tell me where I could buy It?
I am looking for it in internet, but i can't find it...
Thanks!

colony nofi

EDIT : I was wrong. I got SPAT and Verb V3 mixed up. Yes, Spat V3 is no longer available now that Spat revolution is out.

Last edited:

pmcrockett

IRCAM Verb v3 and Spat v3 are different products, though. Verb resembles Spat's onboard reverb component but doesn't provide Spat's source location and projection components.

maestro2be

SPAT and MIR Pro while in theory are supposed to achieve similar results (at least I believe they are suggesting they do similar things) are drastically different. I own both and the things MIR Pro does to the source is drastically different than the results from SPAT. I personally prefer the way SPAT works much more. It seems to "destroy" the actual source sound much less in my opinion. I always found MIR Pro as much as I want to love it, and try again and again with it, shrinks the overall size of the source compared to SPAT. It also seems to sound amazing when using one instrument, but the moment I put sections in, I can't ever seem to get rid of all the build up. It's just my personal opinion though and there might actually be times this is the desired result you're looking for. Additionally, you might be more masterful than me and be able to get the same results as SPAT, it's just not something I have been able to do.

I haven't purchased SPAT Revolution yet because it's so expensive, even with the discount. I am also waiting and hoping they will one day perfect the "over the network" configuration so that I can run it on a slave over ethernet. Perhaps they have finished this but last I checked it's still a beta type thing.

Top Bottom