What's new

SPAT Revolution is out

Shubus

As of 5 minutes ago they lowered the price to $1490. If you have SPAT you get a 35% discount dropping the price to a mere $968. But yah: Yoiks...! I will continue to use SPAT.

heisenberg

SPAT v.3 has been pulled from the site and the email that went out a few hours ago says it is retired but will receive updates.

jamwerks

Well, all of the worlds post houses will be wanting this, so they can't price too low. There will probably be some half off sales (as before) in about a year. Looks quite impressive!

Jack Weaver

As a long time owner and user of SPAT the first thing I did was casually look for the presentation of how much better the new version of the actual spatialization process sounds compared to the old version. Hmmmm, not finding that so far.

So (not being a post engineer per se) if the new version is really only about more outputs and gadgets I see no benefit giving them a grand for something that will not improve sound of my mixes in stereo and 5.1.

Am I missing something here? I look forward to being told I'm wrong. Is the sense of depth in anyway improved in the new version?

clisma

As a long time owner and user of SPAT the first thing I did was casually look for the presentation of how much better the new version of the actual spatialization process sounds compared to the old version. Hmmmm, not finding that so far.

So (not being a post engineer per se) if the new version is really only about more outputs and gadgets I see no benefit giving them a grand for something that will not improve sound of my mixes in stereo and 5.1.

Am I missing something here? I look forward to being told I'm wrong. Is the sense of depth in anyway improved in the new version?

Did the sense of depth need improvement? What specifically do you think needs to improve? From what I can tell, it should be massively easier to have all your sources inside SPAT now, making manipulation in the space much more accessible. The idea of an overlay, the filtering of controls to just the ones you need, and the selection and quick ganging of the signal chain are all clever ideas for workflow, which is where I thought SPAT was lacking in its previous incarnation.

Having said that, I'll wait with upgrading until the price comes down, I'm still showing $1163 with the 35% off.

Jack Weaver

Did the sense of depth need improvement?
Well yes, of course. It's raison d'etre is its sense of spatialization. So a new version comes out and it's core feature to me has not changed (unless it has changed and I just don't know yet). It still doesn't sound any deeper or more realistic that I'm aware of. I always want more of that. It's clever new workflow methods are really superfluous to me. Post guys should have a field day playing with it. It should change their world just like Speakerphone did a few years back.

It's nice that you can have more sources inside the plugin now. Personally, I prefer to use one instrument at a time within one instance of SPAT v3. I don't buy into the concept of having all the instruments within the same spatialization/reverb device or plug. To me it always ends up sounding cheap and unrealistic. This is nothing against the nice people who've gone to great lengths to create SPAT or MIR or Bricasti or Lexicon or TC or any of the other products I own and use constantly. They are all great products but none of them really re-create a realistic virtual sonic world. So I end up using a melange of them to create something that sounds appealing but may not end up totally sounding realistic.

SPAT does not yet sound totally realistic. So my feeling is why put everything into it and end up having a unified and easily recognizable type of fakery on everything? It's too easy for the listener to pin down immediately on an emotional level. Just like a poorly conceived legato patch of a solo violin can take the listener out of the moment so will multiple instances of the same artificial ambience device or plugin.

I know there is the honest desire of a lot of people to want and hope that a 'realistic sound stage' can be achieved by putting all the sources in one device. As good as SPAT is (and it may well be the best at it) when you put a bunch of different things in it, it puts an identifiable sonic branding on it that is not comepletely acceptable - (caveat) to me.

So yes, I would love, love, love it if SPAT's spatialization process sounds significantly better. When some one comes out with one better than SPAT v3 I'll buy it.

I hope that answers why I made that comment. Thanks.

Lotias

Well yes, of course. It's raison d'etre is its sense of spatialization. So a new version comes out and it's core feature to me has not changed (unless it has changed and I just don't know yet). It still doesn't sound any deeper or more realistic that I'm aware of. I always want more of that. It's clever new workflow methods are really superfluous to me. Post guys should have a field day playing with it. It should change their world just like Speakerphone did a few years back.

It's nice that you can have more sources inside the plugin now. Personally, I prefer to use one instrument at a time within one instance of SPAT v3. I don't buy into the concept of having all the instruments within the same spatialization/reverb device or plug. To me it always ends up sounding cheap and unrealistic. This is nothing against the nice people who've gone to great lengths to create SPAT or MIR or Bricasti or Lexicon or TC or any of the other products I own and use constantly. They are all great products but none of them really re-create a realistic virtual sonic world. So I end up using a melange of them to create something that sounds appealing but may not end up totally sounding realistic.

SPAT does not yet sound totally realistic. So my feeling is why put everything into it and end up having a unified and easily recognizable type of fakery on everything? It's too easy for the listener to pin down immediately on an emotional level. Just like a poorly conceived legato patch of a solo violin can take the listener out of the moment so will multiple instances of the same artificial ambience device or plugin.

I know there is the honest desire of a lot of people to want and hope that a 'realistic sound stage' can be achieved by putting all the sources in one device. As good as SPAT is (and it may well be the best at it) when you put a bunch of different things in it, it puts an identifiable sonic branding on it that is not comepletely acceptable - (caveat) to me.

So yes, I would love, love, love it if SPAT's spatialization process sounds significantly better. When some one comes out with one better than SPAT v3 I'll buy it.

I'd be very impressed if anyone could tell what reverb/spatialization plugin was used on something (without being told what it is) these days.

clisma

It does, thanks. I haven't come across this identifiable sonic signature as of yet (though it is entirely possible that my ears wouldn't be able to pick up on it in the first place). For my use, which besides placing instruments in a room is generally to try and match one dry library with another's ambience, SPAT works brilliantly. My only issues truly relate to workflow and to signal flow into and out of the plugin. This seems to be addressed with the new version (or at least as soon as the SEND and RETURN plugins for SPAT revolution can pass audio reliably in all situations)

Clarrebarre1965

Hello there folks I am a MAGIX Samplitude7Sequoia DAW user and wonder if anybody knows here if SPAT revolution is capable of working inside that DAW.....send/return mode or standalone outside in some way? Reading the short manuals is talking abou the use of Pro Tools and Reason8(Reaper? maybe) best Regards ! //claes - sweden

Anders Wall

55°28'54"N 13°30'44"E
Hello there folks I am a MAGIX Samplitude7Sequoia DAW user and wonder if anybody knows here if SPAT revolution is capable of working inside that DAW.....send/return mode or standalone outside in some way? Reading the short manuals is talking abou the use of Pro Tools and Reason8(Reaper? maybe) best Regards ! //claes - sweden
Hej Claes.
If I’m not misstaken Samplitude supports vst-plugins and Spat is a vst plug-in.
Lycka till!
/Anders

heisenberg

If you want to use Spat as standalone routing via sends and returns you can in theory through any DAW. However, the send/return functionalty of the new Spat is considered to be in Beta form. It is listed on their site in the marketing material.

Clarrebarre1965

Ok - thanx - is there a relatively easy/understandable way to manage to get this SPAT Revolution to work during first trial mode before maybe buying it? I know a lot and have installement experience but do not fully understand this in/source/room/out configuration? Also for it to work I assume that the virtual thing is necessary and I tried the DANTE VIA - is that the best for a PC user or? Any help would be appreciated for to get this immersive world going for me - someone who installed it and in some easy lines can explain/write to me in the right direction? :_)

Top Bottom