What's new

Soundtheory Gulfoss Update 1.9.1 comes with Gulfoss Live !

I know about that brightness meter. I still always thought the highs were a little harsh even with that set.
I usually set recover and tame somewhat close but maybe I should weigh more on recover I'll try that.

How is this for orchestral samples? I’ve found Smart EQ2 and Neutron’s Sculpting tool, which seem similar in idea alter the timbre too much and tend to suck the life out of the samples.

Am I missing something in my interface? Can you explain that?
It's tiny but at the bottom in the middle of the screen is a little tiny white meter that shows like a balance for brightness. You can adjust that so it's more neutral with one of the sliders at the top. There is another one on the left that shows the balance between tame and recover which I try and keep somewhat balanced too but Blakus says go recover so maybe that's better.

It's tiny but at the bottom in the middle of the screen is a little tiny white meter that shows like a balance for brightness. You can adjust that so it's more neutral with one of the sliders at the top. There is another one on the left that shows the balance between tame and recover which I try and keep somewhat balanced too but Blakus says go recover so maybe that's better.
OOOOOOOH, I gotcha. OK, I was just using my ears, and didnt realize what that meter was showing. I thought there was some small, magical "calibrate brightness" feature I missed.

Yea - I use those TWO sliders a LOT. To give it subtle polish. I also have tame and recover minimally set but always worth lowering the recover to hear it out. Thanks.

How is this for orchestral samples? I’ve found Smart EQ2 and Neutron’s Sculpting tool, which seem similar in idea alter the timbre too much and tend to suck the life out of the samples.
Curious about this too... Sculptor's ok on some things, but totally destroys others....

Just used Gullfoss on a "still messy" brass group (think LotR) in a mix which kind of made it way more tolerable. So just like Soothe, there are definitely situations you can take advantage of having Gullfoss in your toolbox, but as a general rule of thumb Gullfoss works the better the more you have stuff going through it.

Speaking of the 1.9 update, I decided to update in the middle of a soundtrack mix because in many of the songs I just couldn't make Gullfoss useful in the master bus and decided to leave it out on roughly half of the tracks while in the rest it was basically just sitting there not doing anything useful. So I thought that "why not" because technically I had nothing to lose but something to win.

Turned out that there's definitely something happened under the hood, and the whole algorhitm was just somehow way better, accurate and transparent. It recognized way more bad stuff to tame without touching the good stuff and the the recovery wasn't acting completely bonkers anymore. I don't know what the folks at Soundtheory have done to the code, but it feels like Gullfoss 1.8 "on steroids" and only in a good way.

Just be wary that if you update in the middle of a project, you will most likely find out that it's doing way more than it used to do earlier- at least this happened to me but YMMV. So you may want to revisit each instance in your mix before printing to make sure that it does what it should do!

Curious about this too... Sculptor's ok on some things, but totally destroys others....
yeah, Neutron Sculptor can be hit or miss. I think it's good sometimes but other times really bad. Worth trying sometimes.

I think Gullfoss is very good on orc stuff, but I use it on a bus or the master as it's good at making a lot of things together more clear. It's worth a demo to hear for yourself at least.

It's not a miracle worker but it gives a little polish I think.

yeah, Neutron Sculptor can be hit or miss. I think it's good sometimes but other times really bad. Worth trying sometimes.

I think Gullfoss is very good on orc stuff, but I use it on a bus or the master as it's good at making a lot of things together more clear. It's worth a demo to hear for yourself at least.

It's not a miracle worker but it gives a little polish I think.
Cool, thanks.... Totally agree. Most of the neutron modules are pretty good but Sculptor's a bit of a dud... The punch and clarity setting's nice as a bus compressor, everything else is a gamble...

I would mainly use Gulfoss on busses anyway so hear that. The low latency mode is what finally makes it appealing. It'd be nice to have something like this into a production template that can be toggled on if needed.

I'll give the demo a spin and see what I think...

Cool, thanks.... Totally agree. Most of the neutron modules are pretty good but Sculptor's a bit of a dud... The punch and clarity setting's nice as a bus compressor, everything else is a gamble...

I would mainly use Gulfoss on busses anyway so hear that. The low latency mode is what finally makes it appealing. It'd be nice to have something like this into a production template that can be toggled on if needed.

I'll give the demo a spin and see what I think...
I like to know your honest opinion on it and how you are using it. If you don't like it I'd like to hear about it.

To be clear, I was suggesting to try full tame, not recover (which can introduce a whole bunch of extra high end) :)

Both are great. I tend to gravitate towards Soothe2 for specific problem areas, and Gullfoss for its overall magic.
I agree with this.
I use Soothe 2 a tons more though. Gullfoss is mostly just sitting on the master bus, and the occasional mix bus.
It's worth pointing out that both have (cheaper) rivals now. DSEQ 3 is similar to Soothe 2 and Teote is similar Gullfoss.

Top Bottom