1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sounds for Desert/Arabic project on a budget?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by evilantal, Feb 7, 2018.

1. evilantal

evilantal Antal Nusselder

Hi guys,

I have a Desert/Arabic themed project coming up, but my budget's run out :(

What would be suggestions for some low-cost (or even free) instruments or sample/loop packs to spice things up?

2. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Volko Audio's darbuka-nut is free, and they also have a saz for $69, which is probably not that cheap... Not sure what's good for inexpensive ney or oud. If you already have decent "normal" drums and a violin with good portamento, that should do.

evilantal likes this.
  3. Fugdup

Fugdup Senior Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    You can go far with traditional orchestral instruments if you do a good job composing in that style. But otherwise, Silk/RA and Stormdrum 2/3 should provide a lot of good tools for the job, at a low price.

evilantal likes this.
  4. nas

nas Senior Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Jordan
    What DAW are you using? If you're on Logic there are some decent percussion and Middle Eastern/North African loops. Also the Kontakt Library has some sounds in the "World" section.

Other than that agree with above post for Silk/RA. If you can manage a budget, check out Impact Soundworks Turkish Oud and Bouzouki they are excellent. Also the Evolution Series Middle Eastern Percussion is very good.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    evilantal likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    evilantal

Thanks guys!
    I had obviously completely forgotten about the Kontakt factory library once again...

The EastWest stuff seems a bit out of reach at regular price. But I've been looking around and the Rare Instrument Bundle from Rast Sound seems to have a lot of content for the price. Anyone have any experience with it?
    They also have some low cost Ney, Kemenche and Kabak kemane libraries.

I'm on Reaper by the way.

6. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Samplephonics has two excellent loop packs, "Eastern Percussion" and "Desert Percussion."
    https://www.samplephonics.com/products/sample-packs/percussion/eastern-percussion
    https://www.samplephonics.com/products/sample-packs/world/desert-percussion

They are pricey, but both are available on Noiiz.com, which you can join for $8.25 or $16.58 a month. They even have a plug-in where you can drag the loops you want directly into your project to see how they work.

And of course, you can join Noiiz for free and audition all the loops and even download a few.

The Eastern Percussion one is divided into "Eastern" and "Arabian" loops. I love the "Eastern" ones because they are so subtle--suitable for ambient, rather than the more "world" sound of the Arabian. TVery different from the kind of stuff available on Evolution Middle East or the Zero-G Eastern Percussion Module.

evilantal likes this.
  7. Fugdup

Fugdup Senior Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    Don't forget that you can go for a monthly subscription to Composer Cloud.
    You can essentially use every single East West product for $29.99, for a month.
    If you just need the instruments for this specific project, i'd say it's more than worth it :)

Lawson., Mr. Ha, evilantal and 2 others like this.
  8. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Lawson. and evilantal like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    evilantal

Thanks for chiming in everyone!

I finished a 2min sample with some bits and pieces I already had and some suggestions from this thread.
    I also bought Sounds of Morocco from Rast Sound. Great for that extra flavour.

Now I have some time until the final project is due, which also means some more time/budget to collect some extra bits and pieces.

Yes, thanks! I remembered I won the Volko Baglama in a KVR charity auction some time ago.
    Bohemian Violin did great by abusing it's portamento articulation.
    I also put to work the ethnic percussion from Apocalypse Percussion Elements, tambourines and rolls from Perc+, a few vocal samples from Ethera Soundscapes and Vocalise.

Great tip! These loops are excellent.

10. Strezov

Strezov Active Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Hi @evilantal, feel free to download our duduk freebie: https://www.strezov-sampling.com/products/view/BALKAN Ethnic Orchestra Duduk Freebie.html

I played it myself using one of my armenian duduks - it's a bit limited, but VERY playable.

In my career so far I've written music for more than 7 orient-based documentaries... and one of the libraries I continue using till this moment is "Diamonds of Orient". It has tons of loops in .wav files, divided into tempos AND categories... so you have the traditional malfuf or ciftetelli beats, irregular rhythms, 3/4 and so on. I highly recommend this product - I even use the loops in other genres, they blend in very well.

https://www.bestservice.com/diamonds_of_orient.html

Best,
    George

nulautre and evilantal like this.
  11. itstav

itstav Senior Member

I bought Eduardo Tarilonte's Ancient ERA Persia for a feature, I think its the best in that genre out of all I've used.

Lawson., sekkosiki and evilantal like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    evilantal

Thanks George,
    It sounds nice indeed.

Also for the recommendation. Those loops sound great.

13. JonAdamich

JonAdamich Member

Jan 24, 2016
    ERA might be the best in the game right now for this. Ra from East/West remarkable holds up extremely well, after what, a decade? The samples are well produced and recorded.

Though, after checking, they are about the same price oddly enough. I would go ERA Persia

itstav likes this.
  14. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    You can get Aviram Dayan's Arabic Strings now with 50% discount. Sonokinetic's Sultan Strings are even cheaper, but not that complex.

15. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    With more budget:

Impact Soundworks Turkish Oud (also check out Koron)
    Ilya Efimov Duduk
    Evolution Series Percussion Middle East

Sonokinetic has a lot of stuff as well
    and Strezov's Balkan Orchestra is a gold mine

16. bap_la_so_1

bap_la_so_1 Prince of All Evil

Jun 24, 2015
    Vietnam
    Sonokinetic is on sale and they are king in this type of thing jmo

17. OP
    OP
    evilantal

Yes, thanks. Indeed.
    I'm eyeing Qanun and Shahrazad at €29.50 each..