SoundCloud Mastering Service

Fab

protect your ears!
I noticed this recently and although I currently prefer to do them myself, I wonder how many of you have tried this and is it similar to other online mastering technology (LANDR?)

Moreover, it seems some people like to complain of the soundcloud compression being quite bad! If that is true then shouldn't it be fixed before splitting hairs on mastering?

Fab

Mastering barely means anything anymore for the independent producer/composer/whatever. If you hear something you want to change there's no point in waiting until mastering to "fix" it. The only thing these online services should really be doing is making tracks loudness compliant, of which you can just do yourself with free tools.

The only real benefit of mastering is getting an unbiased set of ears on a mix, so these auto-masters are just kind of marketing hype. And if you can get fresh ears on something you may as well just apply the tweaks in the full session, there's no magic to applying an EQ to a full mix.

Rasoul Morteza

Universal Scoring
Platform specific mastering is about loudness compliance. Even that I believe some of them auto adjust the gain of your uploaded track to reach the destination's average LU level.

Otherwise platforms like SoundCloud make your track sound like crap no exception. Master your tracks but not to make it sound good on SC or wherever.

Cheers

Reactions: Fab
OP
Fab

Fab

protect your ears!
Thanks for the input guys.

What about a feature to smooth out/auto gain levels when swapping between tracks, based on the RMS when each track was uploaded. It would save me getting blasted with max loudness when the auto play is on, haha!

Rasoul Morteza

Universal Scoring
Thanks for the input guys.

What about a feature to smooth out/auto gain levels when swapping between tracks, based on the RMS when each track was uploaded. It would save me getting blasted with max loudness when the auto play is on, haha!
YW.

Indeed that is important when compiling tracks for an album. Frankly I don't know any plugin that takes several tracks as input and sorts it out for you, but just load them in a master project and work with your metering plugin. It won't be harder or slower.

However from a personal point of view, I believe the max LU value per track is dependent on the track itself. Based on the dynamics of the piece I sometimes go for the EBU R 128 standard (-20 to -23 LUFS) or -16 to -14 if my track allows it. It's really about listening.

Cheers

Henu

Calling simple leveling "mastering" is the same that someone would mix a track using only volume sliders.