What's new

Soundcloud -- BEWARE

Flaneurette

I found this new site or service, that many think will be the future of online music and video. Called LBRY.

I am really excited by this. And I hope it will get big. Things have to change. The artist should be in full control of his or her work, instead of corporations like Soundcloud, Youtube, Myspace etc. etc. It will happen eventually, because the Internet was built for freedom.

Signup for early access

elpedro

The internet was built for freedom?It was built for commerce,pure and simple.The A.I. of internet commerce dictates that, if you want to see the internet as "built for freedom" you will be shown exactly that...along with some google advertisements, of course....

synthpunk

I was also anticipating in the early rollout and when I got the email the other day looked very forward to it. Unfortunately it just looks like a Commerce site of some kind unless I'm totally missing the plot?

I found this new site or service, that many think will be the future of online music and video. Called LBRY.

I am really excited by this. And I hope it will get big. Things have to change. The artist should be in full control of his or her work, instead of corporations like Soundcloud, Youtube, Myspace etc. etc. It will happen eventually, because the Internet was built for freedom.

Signup for early access

elfman

If I were the producer of much content, I would still much rather host it myself, where I have the control, and don't need to worry about a third party suddenly changing the terms of service on me.
Absolutely.

Hasen6

I don't see what all the fuss is really, just make sure all your tracks on Soundcloud are well watermarked.

Hasen6

I didn’t even know about watermarking an audio file, thank you for the tip!
I googeled it and undertsand now.
Ok yeah I guess not everyone knows about it. Anyone doing music for music libraries would though. Yeah I recommend everyone do it although at the moment it looks like the vast majority don't. With what it says in the Soundcloud agreement it would seem prudent to do it anyway, even if you aren't worried about countries like China treating it like a candy store.

PeterN

To be honest I don't know why anyone puts their music in full tracks online with no watermark at all...especially not on a huge site like soundcloud. Soundcloud is China's free music library to score all their tv and movies.
True so. Or at least theyve ripped off a lot stuff from it.

eph221

I jumped to octave.is for easy and proffesional sharing and bandcamp for a public front and/or commercial stuff.

Bandcamp terms states as follows:

Am I signing over the rights to my music, home and firstborn? No. The only rights we take are the obvious ones we need to run the service. For example, the right to host the music you upload, stream and sell it on your behalf, display whatever lyrics and artwork you put on the site, and so on.

I have the feeling soundcloud terms is much the same actually, but they have commercialized them selfs beyond my liking and understanding.

Does bandcamp stream at a higher bit rate than soundcloud? I'm confused on this matter.

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarini GT 5300 Strada
My apologies if this was addressed already, at work and can't read the whole thread. I'm seeing BandCamp talked about and I'll check that out. What about Spotify, is that a viable/decent/"worth it" platform, or are they as problematic as SoundCloud?

synkrotron

A creator of Stuff
Okay, not strictly true.

SoundCloud Go+ subscribers can stream at 320kbps, otherwise it is (or was) 128kpbs for everyone else. Searching the interwebs reveals that SoundCloud my have "reduced" its streaming quality to 64kbps Opus (whatever that is) but I think they denied it.

And Bandcamp users that have purchased a track/album can then stream said track/album at MP3 V0s (around 250kbps). Otherwise it is 128kbps.

We discussed this over at the AO forum and some contend that the SoundCloud stream was somehow better than Bandcamp but I personally couldn't tell the difference, cos me ears are shagged (too much heavy metal).

Top Bottom