What's new

Sonuscore's "The Orchestra Complete" and new "Strings of Winter" library

The one real drawback to the engine is that there is no easy way to export its midi if you want to layer or replace with a different library.
I haven't tried it, but you can set the midi out to record to another instrument. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I tried it with my S-keys piano and got a lot of gibberish mixed among the notes. But this seems to just be a basic arp engine, not something that adds pedal noises and stuff.

I find it quite an inspiring tool. If you are looking at using it for the instruments themselves, then you can definitely do better elsewhere (that isn't the main selling point of the library). What I love are the animated/colour arp patterns - I love these textures (they are fantastic for adding a bit of momentum or character to an orchestral piece - and you can make your own presets which I frequently do). It seems a lot more versatile than something like Action Strings and it is so much fun just noodling around. Here's a little track where I did just that:

Fun piece but I kept thinking those horns might have to be circular breathing for some of those phrases.
:faint:

;)

Did you use other libraries? Was the guitar live or sampled?

The lack of midi export has always made me think twice. I did use the Best Service demo app to try it briefly. It’s a bit limiting that way but gives you an idea and it was good fun to noodle about. Would be even better with midi export for the engine.

I haven't tried it, but you can set the midi out to record to another instrument. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I tried it with my S-keys piano and got a lot of gibberish mixed among the notes. But this seems to just be a basic arp engine, not something that adds pedal noises and stuff.
Ahhh. Very good. Ish.
Do you get each note in the ostinato or does it just export as a chord?
Thank you.

I think it's a fun library to improvise stuff with or to use as a launch pad for ideas that will later get replaced. Don't expect it to be a deep-sampled multi-mic bag of articulations - it is only 6.8GB after all. Not in the same class as the Symphobias, but might be worth $199 for the inspiration that the arps bring.

Tip: You can make it sound a LOT better by ditching the onboard reverb and using something smoother and less ringy like Seventh Heaven or Symphony.

Any alternatives for orchestral arpeggios and ostinatos? I don't need another sketching orchestral library now. I wish there was an easy Kontakt-compatible MIDI tool that would let me make arpeggios with what I already have (Kontakt version of EWQLSO Symphonic Orchestra and Symphobias)

Fun piece but I kept thinking those horns might have to be circular breathing for some of those phrases.
:faint:

;)

Did you use other libraries? Was the guitar live or sampled?

The lack of midi export has always made me think twice. I did use the Best Service demo app to try it briefly. It’s a bit limiting that way but gives you an idea and it was good fun to noodle about. Would be even better with midi export for the engine.

Haha, yeah - this was a quick throw together just for fun - Bond songs are all about holding notes for a ridiculous amount of time aren't they (ideally by a Welsh vocalist at the end). I definitely used a couple of other libraries, I can't recall which ones - but Orchestra is definitely really prominent (and I didn't try to hide it too much). No live stuff, think the guitar was Orange Tree's Texas Twang.

Even on sale, $200 seems a lot for 6.8GB.
If we were talking about the sample content alone, I'd completely agree; but for me, the selling point is the engine driving the sample content. At this sale price, I think it's at least worth considering. If time is money and this saves you time, it could be worth spending $200 up front to save on the back end.

But of course, YMMV.

Best,

Geoff

I think Symphony Essentials in my Komplete Ultimate also has an arpeggiator - I haven't played with it much.

Last edited:
i was gonna comment on the arp.

looks good.

is their a similar stand alone arpeggiator on the market?

i use Blue Arp from time to time, it's ok.
"Kirnu the Arpeggiator" is a nice free arp. "Kirnu Cream" is the paid version and a different product.

I think this link downloads the free version. http://www.artovaarala.com/download/download.php

I doubt that any other arpeggiator could do a similar job as The Orchestra does. Anyway, the thing is that they use 3 separate arpeggiators plus 2 envelopes at the same time and the presets mostly combine 5 different slots with stacc repetitions, arpeggios and sustains, so it is pretty complex programming to get the impression of a whole orchestral section playing little arrangements.

I bought TO last December and I really love it - now being on sale for 199€, it would be a no brainer for me, as it contains all orchestral instruments plus even choir - with the engine and their fantastic presets, it is the best all-in-one solution that I can imagine:).

I doubt that any other arpeggiator could do a similar job as The Orchestra does. Anyway, the thing is that they use 3 separate arpeggiators plus 2 envelopes at the same time and the presets mostly combine 5 different slots with stacc repetitions, arpeggios and sustains, so it is pretty complex programming to get the impression of a whole orchestral section playing little arrangements.

I bought TO last December and I really love it - now being on sale for 199€, it would be a no brainer for me, as it contains all orchestral instruments plus even choir - with the engine and their fantastic presets, it is the best all-in-one solution that I can imagine:).

I am tempted! Does it fit well with other libraries?

Edit: although, I wonder if I should spend more time with the ostinato tab in spitfire libraries which seem to be similar in what they do..

Last edited:
I am tempted! Does it fit well with other libraries?

Edit: although, I wonder if I should spend more time with the ostinato tab in spitfire libraries which seem to be similar in what they do..

For me yes, it does fit very well with other orchestral libs - TO is a little rough sounding, very realistic and not over-clean, I like that:). And it sounds great when I layer it with other (more polished) orchestral Libs like Berlin Series, Cinesamples or Spitfire.

When working with TO, I normally start a composition with some colours (mixed ensemble patches like for example FULL sustain Strings + Brass) and play around a little. Or I choose one of the full orchestral presets and play something with the rhythms. Later I add single nkis (French Horns, Flute...) and play melodies or motives, then I add percussion, choir, or other stuff, until I get a good impression of my idea.

When I'm happy with a sketch, I often layer with other orchestral libraries (Spitfire, Cinesamples, OT) to get a fuller sound.

For me, this is the best workflow: starting simple with full sounding TO presets or colors, then polishing everything by layering or exchanging parts with other libs. It's much less frustrating than starting with a few thin single patches and spending hours to get an arrangement together without knowing if it works or not. But this is only me working - it may be totally different for everyone else :D

The one real drawback to the engine is that there is no easy way to export its midi if you want to layer or replace with a different library.
True, although what I find to be the real drawback of TO is that sustain pedals apparently don’t work with it. It’s a lot harder to use it for a background live with another keyboard or guitar if you need to keep a chord held. ;)

Top Bottom