What's new

Sonuscore The Orchestra Complete 2 announced while The Orchestra on Sale, Thoughts?

Well, I know people who will say that this is a nobrainer. I have The Orchestra Complete (core + expansion) and I really haven't been able to do anything with it. At some point in process I start changing libraries even if I started with The Orchestra. But I know people who do very well with it, so it must be just my newbieness. Sound is very dry, I occasionally use it to layer things that need some punch behind.
The ensemble engine is another story, it may well be worth it. I just haven't got into it too much. I'm not sure if midi export is part of The Orchestra or do you need strings of winter expansion for that but I must admit that the engine itself is worth some money, especially for the midi export function if you don't like the sound of the library itself.
My beginners 2 cents.

One of my favorite purchases, hands down. I've gotten a TON of use out of the arpeggiator engine. I do a lot of rhythmic stuff, and I come from a synths background, so for me writing by using multiple arpeggiators and envelopes feels very natural. And the interface is very simple and easy to use.

Agree with @dzilizzi that I don't really use the instruments that much outside of the arp engine context. But I am thinking about getting TO Complete to get access to the Mongolian strings.

The engine is a lot of fun. I have better libraries, so I don't really use the actual orchestra part.

Yes, I have better libs too.
Just curious cause of the Midi Export, but I looked at older threads here in the forum and found that Midi Export is The Orchestra Complete only.
If this is true, I'm not interrested at all.

looked at older threads here in the forum and found that Midi Export is The Orchestra Complete only.

I had this gut feeling too, that's why I mentioned it. The engine itself is a great source of inspiration and I must admit that with the engine even The Orchestra sounds quite good. But using the instruments alone by yourself, its not just the same. That has to do something with the fact that when a newbie takes one dry instrument from the library instead of artist engineers choice of 15 instruments with arpeggiators and such....

@Marsen Just make sure you don't confuse the orchestra with the version of the orchestra you get in the orchestra complete (brilliantly confusing marketing there). I'm not referring to the strings of winter content, the orchestra itself is updated in that version and you can't freely update to it unless you buy orchestra complete. Some of the updated features are;

"The biggest new feature in THE ORCHESTRA COMPLETE is the MIDI-Export. Patterns and arrangements generated by the engine can now be exported onto separate MIDI Tracks, opening endless possibilities.

We also revisited the original patches to improve the dynamic range and the overall sound. The user interface got a new coat of paint improving the readability. And on top of that we implemented often requested smaller features like sustain pedal support and reverb-lock."

IMO, avoid the orchestra as they have essentially dropped support for it, and if you really want it, go for the orchestra complete when it goes on sale. Pretty shady move by sonnuscore against the original orchestra buyers. Also, the update / crossgrade never goes on sale, it's a joke.

Pretty shady move by sonnuscore against the original orchestra buyers.

As an original The Orchestra user, I don't see how. Like many libraries, I wouldn't pay full price, but the original version is totally worth $200 (I've certainly paid more for things I've used a lot less), and $119 to upgrade to some improved sounds plus MIDI output plus the Strings of Winter seems very fair to me. It's like Spitfire's "Pro" libraries vs. the standard libraries -- pay more, get more and better-featured content. Not really unfair, IMO.

IMO, avoid the orchestra as they have essentially dropped support for it, and if you really want it, go for the orchestra complete when it goes on sale. Pretty shady move by sonnuscore against the original orchestra buyers. Also, the update / crossgrade never goes on sale, it's a joke.

Thanks for this important information @davidson !

I really have hard time to take this as a fact. Is it really so, that The Orchestra is dropped out and Complete is the way they are doing it? Because Strings of Winter just came out like last year (which makes it Complete) and I have hard time believing this, even though I'm not a fan of this product.

Personally, at 199 is a no brainer, definitely. Very useful for not overly detailed orchestral use, easy to blend with other stuff, and basically sounds nice in a mix, expecially in addition with non-orchestral sounds. Definitely recommended at this price.

Throwing another opinion in here that the "standard" version of The Orchestra is pretty decent. Even if you have your core orchestral instruments covered by other libraries, the Animated Orchestra presets are very cool.
And having recently dissected the project to Benny Oschmann's demo track for it, I've been able to see first-hand just how little effort is needed to get it sounding good out of the box.

The Orchestra is a pretty straightforward lib -- no deeply-sampled-at-the-edge-of-Nordic-silence patches here.

But... every time I've entered in a score from a Master (Khachaturian, Strauss, etc), using just those basic articulations and even without tons of CC tweaking, it still sounds about 500x better than the crap I write using thousands and thousands (and thousands) of Spitfire and OT and Strezov and Sonokinetic and sheesh.

Whenever The Orchestra is mentioned I'm reminded that good writing overcomes the library quality, by far. Yet even as I type this, my finger is hovering over the OT Ark 1+2 Bundle.

Edit: I now own Ark 1+2. Oops.

Last edited:
I got in with the core library (though I waited quite a while due to budget, need and waiting for MIDI export). I've never been sorry. I have upgraded to complete now. All of these are opinions but I think it represent fantastic value for money and is an absolute hoot. The animated presets (all presets really) are easily manipulated to suit the needs of a particular piece. I've done this often. And instruments can be swapped out if you have better available. Like others I don't tend to use the solo instruments but stick with the "Engine" where I think most of the joy is. If you don't have much in the way of other instruments it could be quite handy as I thought they were largely (not all but largely) decent. Having heard what someone with the right chops (not me by the way) can do with pretty much any VI, I think this one is good. It's one of my favourites.

Last edited:
The Orchestra is a pretty straightforward lib -- no deeply-sampled-at-the-edge-of-Artic-silence patches here.

But... every time I've entered in a score from a Master (Khachaturian, Strauss, etc), using just the basic artics and even without tons of CC tweaking, it still sounds about 500x better than the crap I write using thousands and thousands (and thousands) of Spitfire and OT and Strezov and Sonokinetic and sheesh.

Every time The Orchestra is mentioned, I'm reminded that good writing overcomes a simple lib, by far. Yet even as I type this, my finger is hovering over the OT Ark 1+2 Bundle.
I concur.

...about The Orchestra, not Ark bundle.

...hmmm Ark bundle...

And having recently dissected the project to Benny Oschmann's demo track for it, I've been able to see first-hand just how little effort is needed to get it sounding good out of the box.

In case anyone is wondering like I was:

https://www.synthestration.com/product/journey-to-another-world/

Can you recommend it?
Is this a good price (199,-)?

Cheers
I guess most of the buyers got tricked by the value aesthetics of the library. The demos were kinda little manipulative at the time I checked it. I almost bought it. The Time I checked there was no SoW it competed TO I guess. I know people who use it. The best thing about it is it has dual capabilities. I mean it’s not just a multi sample library but it’s got phrases on the other side. People who like that should check. I personally found the legato not convincing. It has a little dry synth sound too. Sorry for that but given the specifics & the 80 piece Orchestra right? It was quite a disappointment at the time but I heard SoW sounded really good, with array of articulation set I guess may be it’s worth buying.

I guess most of the buyers got tricked by the value aesthetics of the library. The demos were kinda little manipulative at the time I checked it. I almost bought it. The Time I checked there was no SoW it competed TO I guess. I know people who use it. The best thing about it is it has dual capabilities. I mean it’s not just a multi sample library but it’s got phrases on the other side. People who like that should check. I personally found the legato not convincing. It has a little dry synth sound too. Sorry for that but given the specifics & the 80 piece Orchestra right? It was quite a disappointment at the time but I heard SoW sounded really good, with array of articulation set I guess may be it’s worth buying.

Sorry, what does SoW mean?

Top Bottom