What's new

Sonokinetic Solstice Sale - 50% OFF single instruments

you will get a lot of royalty points for buying these four - with that you can get a big discount on your next buy :)
Yeah, I already used my points towards Capriccio. Just have 7 left now from that purchase. All good though. I have a good arsenal of libraries to work with 👍

After watching some video's I now think the Ostinato series might fit my singer-songwriter bill better. 1) much more chord options 2) Ostinatos won't be recognized as easily as 'phrases'. They're just typical string-woodwinds-brass rhythms, only played much better than I could with my sample libraries 3) they are cheaper (for a reason of course, but I might not use the added content of Indie) 4) I can really imagine them moving along a beat.

While Indie is very cool the Ostinatos are WAY COOL!Like modal runs(even more so) there is much more there than meets the eye ...they aren't just Ostinatos .If you get them I suggest have it open and watch the tutorial it is not your normal library.It can be confusing however as soon as you get it you'll realize how brillant and simple it is and packed with very useful features to create almost infinite variations( it needs a few more functions for infinite!!)

IMO the harmonic shift function is the centerpiece well worth the time investigating however as Sono suggests it isnt necassary to think to much about the theory(and there is a lot if you want to) just play until it sounds good(which it always does).

As you can tell by my posts in this thread i think the ostinatos and Modal runs are brilliant and worth much more than Sono is selling them for and are the diamonds in their library's.

I've been using INDIE for the past day or two. This is my first phrased-based library. I'm loving it so much as a companion to my traditional orchestral libraries. I agree with Rex282 that the Ostinatos are wonderful. They have great textural character without being too melodic, so I think they'll be incredibly useful.

Still needs a good deal of work, but here is a short track I am working on with the help of Indie, Largo, and Capriccio. The intro ambiance is a combination of SAS' Blura Red and Heavyocity's Natural Forces. The piano is Noire. The low string bed is a combo of Albion V, Emotional Cello sustains, and Indie (really helped add more realism to the strings). The harp arp is Indie as well as the harp runs in a few places. Solo legato cello is Emotional Cello, then the rest of the strings are from Indie with a little bit of Largo in the background. Also some background woodwinds from Largo. The drum pattern is from Capriccio with some Easter Island hits from Albion 1. Cymbol swell is from Sonuscore's the Orchestra Complete. You can hear a little bit of insolidus in the background as well.

There are about 8 different Indie phrases used during the song and they all are from one instance of Indie. I'm finding it really inspiring and great for adding texture and realism in ways that with I am not good at myself. Once you have the chord progression down, its very easy to play around with the different phrases and find the ones that fit best with your melody and the movement of the song. Thanks @Sonokinetic BV :thumbsup:

Still needs a good deal of work, but here is a short track I am working on with the help of Indie, Largo, and Capriccio. The intro ambiance is a combination of SAS' Blura Red and Heavyocity's Natural Forces. The piano is Noire. The low string bed is a combo of Albion V, Emotional Cello sustains, and Indie (really helped add more realism to the strings). The harp arp is Indie as well as the harp runs in a few places. Solo legato cello is Emotional Cello, then the rest of the strings are from Indie with a little bit of Largo in the background. Also some background woodwinds from Largo. The drum pattern is from Capriccio with some Easter Island hits from Albion 1. Cymbol swell is from Sonuscore's the Orchestra Complete. You can hear a little bit of insolidus in the background as well.

There are about 8 different Indie phrases used during the song and they all are from one instance of Indie. I'm finding it really inspiring and great for adding texture and realism in ways that with I am not good at myself. Once you have the chord progression down, its very easy to play around with the different phrases and find the ones that fit best with your melody and the movement of the song. Thanks @Sonokinetic BV :thumbsup:

Really lovely, Owen. And seamlessly put together — which is important when working as you have.

While Indie is very cool the Ostinatos are WAY COOL!Like modal runs(even more so) there is much more there than meets the eye ...they aren't just Ostinatos .If you get them I suggest have it open and watch the tutorial it is not your normal library.It can be confusing however as soon as you get it you'll realize how brillant and simple it is and packed with very useful features to create almost infinite variations( it needs a few more functions for infinite!!)

IMO the harmonic shift function is the centerpiece well worth the time investigating however as Sono suggests it isnt necassary to think to much about the theory(and there is a lot if you want to) just play until it sounds good(which it always does).

As you can tell by my posts in this thread i think the ostinatos and Modal runs are brilliant and worth much more than Sono is selling them for and are the diamonds in their library's.

Rex-

Love your passion for modal runs. I’m still on the fence about getting them, getting Capriccio for runs, or getting nothing. What is so special about modal runs?

Scarlet Jerry

I am looking at Toll as well. Why do you say that it is super cool?

Toll has a lot of bell variations. Tower, carillon, church, Asian.

After I got it, it was like a drinking game when I watched movies. EVERY graveyard and churchyard scene, and SO MANY city or country scenes have church bells. Hilarious. Here they come walking. BONGG.

A bell toolkit. Many timbres and pitches. Lots of variety. Gorgeous sound quality. Plus, playing anything like a hymn on the carillon patch will make your teeth hurt, just like the real thing.

Modal Runs coming down. The only others I have are fixed and a few scales. (old VSL, Garritan? I forget.)

@jbuhler said watching the demo was like "whee!"

For sure, these are modern and flexible runs. Any musical tech that makes me go "whee!" has to be purchased.

Sonokinetic has some really great stuff, some real niche instruments. Sleigh bells II is fantastic.

So I have the runs that come with the 8Dio woodwinds. They are major and minor. I also have some old major and minor strings runs. Why would I need anything else?

And on top of that, I don't own any other Sonokinetic libraries. I am a pretty good keyboard player with a wide range of instruments. Is there a reason that I should own at least one phrase-based library?

-Scarlet Jerry's wallet

Rex-

Love your passion for modal runs. I’m still on the fence about getting them, getting Capriccio for runs, or getting nothing. What is so special about modal runs?

Scarlet Jerry

Ok Jerry you asked for it here is the condensed version of my review.::

Playing Modal Runs reminds me of playing with a delays where you have to “feel” the timing” to create an infinite variety of rhythm patterns ...but with scale runs.

The runs are either performed by strings or woodwinds or any mixture and 3 mic positions to choose from.The amount of notes in the run is determined by the player instead of the pre recored.There are 5 rhythm variations which can be triggered on the fly via keyswitches.First you activate a “key” by playing a triad(I have preset triads I drop in so I can futz with the runs).Then play the beginning low note to a high note or high to low and voila’...scale runs....but there’s more.

The real magic starts with how much you can manipulate the runs by intervals (minor 2 to three octaves).There are two modes like in other Sonokinetic Ostinato libraries of Absolute or Relative.

In Relative mode all runs notes are relative to your keyswitch chord(example A minor)regardless of what keys you play(example Eb=D)
This is where the fun begins if you play(notes) A then B(major 2) with the triplet rhythm mode it plays four notes that aren’t a scale run...A-G-A-B as a triplet then a downbeat note.Now you can repeat that pattern up the scale or any variation(even change rhythms) you want to create your own unique runs.This is just an example how you can create runs that aren’t straight up and down.

In Absolute mode you can play notes out of key ...example:
Play A-F#-G#-C-A for an A melodic minor(or Ab jazz altered) from A-B-C-D-E-F#-G#-A-B-C-B-A.This is where the digital delay technique comes in handy.It takes some practice to “trigger” the notes in these types of runs but it is possible .The ability to play any amount of notes can create odd time or poly rhythms . and of course you can play just regular scale runs also.....however the possibilities are limitless.

The runs are either performed by strings or woodwinds or any mixture.I’d love to see a choice of arts,more rythms and solo instruments instead of fixed ensembles and the ability to leave out notes to create pentatonic or hexatonic and altered scales or add notes for bebop dominant and different interval patterns like the Gypsy minor (and Carnatic modes ).
I know the Sono team is working on it so PLEASE give us the midi record ASAP.That would put this at the top of my list of most useful library.

IMO this isn’t just scales runs that are fixed like every run generator I’ve heard.You can create infinite scale variations motifs riffs. I’m in the processing of using it to compose parts not just make runs(I NEED midi record!!)

This is an ingenious invention by Sonokinetics I’m surprised more people don’t rave about it considering it is so inexpensive even when not on sale for half off!!You guessed it I am a true believer.Like other Sono products this isn’t just a phrase loop library you have to use your ear and develop a strategy for the sounds you are hearing and experince a lot of serendepities on the way.

Ok Jerry you asked for it here is the condensed version of my review.::

Playing Modal Runs reminds me of playing with a delays where you have to “feel” the timing” to create an infinite variety of rhythm patterns ...but with scale runs.

The runs are either performed by strings or woodwinds or any mixture and 3 mic positions to choose from.The amount of notes in the run is determined by the player instead of the pre recored.There are 5 rhythm variations which can be triggered on the fly via keyswitches.First you activate a “key” by playing a triad(I have preset triads I drop in so I can futz with the runs).Then play the beginning low note to a high note or high to low and voila’...scale runs....but there’s more.

The real magic starts with how much you can manipulate the runs by intervals (minor 2 to three octaves).There are two modes like in other Sonokinetic Ostinato libraries of Absolute or Relative.

In Relative mode all runs notes are relative to your keyswitch chord(example A minor)regardless of what keys you play(example Eb=D)
This is where the fun begins if you play(notes) A then B(major 2) with the triplet rhythm mode it plays four notes that aren’t a scale run...A-G-A-B as a triplet then a downbeat note.Now you can repeat that pattern up the scale or any variation(even change rhythms) you want to create your own unique runs.This is just an example how you can create runs that aren’t straight up and down.

In Absolute mode you can play notes out of key ...example:
Play A-F#-G#-C-A for an A melodic minor(or Ab jazz altered) from A-B-C-D-E-F#-G#-A-B-C-B-A.This is where the digital delay technique comes in handy.It takes some practice to “trigger” the notes in these types of runs but it is possible .The ability to play any amount of notes can create odd time or poly rhythms . and of course you can play just regular scale runs also.....however the possibilities are limitless.

The runs are either performed by strings or woodwinds or any mixture.I’d love to see a choice of arts,more rythms and solo instruments instead of fixed ensembles and the ability to leave out notes to create pentatonic or hexatonic and altered scales or add notes for bebop dominant and different interval patterns like the Gypsy minor (and Carnatic modes ).
I know the Sono team is working on it so PLEASE give us the midi record ASAP.That would put this at the top of my list of most useful library.

IMO this isn’t just scales runs that are fixed like every run generator I’ve heard.You can create infinite scale variations motifs riffs. I’m in the processing of using it to compose parts not just make runs(I NEED midi record!!)

This is an ingenious invention by Sonokinetics I’m surprised more people don’t rave about it considering it is so inexpensive even when not on sale for half off!!You guessed it I am a true believer.Like other Sono products this isn’t just a phrase loop library you have to use your ear and develop a strategy for the sounds you are hearing and experince a lot of serendepities on the way.

Wow Rex! If that was the condensed version, I can't imagine what the full version would be. You sold me on Modal Runs, so I'm going to grab them hoping that MIDI record will be available someday. That's one of the things that was holding me back initially, and that's why I was looking at Capriccio. Of course, this means that I won't be dipping my toes into the Sonokinetic phrase-based universe, but I'll look at that during the next sale. I will also do a review of Modal runs on my YouTube channel. Thanks for your help.

Scarlet Jerry

Wow Rex! If that was the condensed version, I can't imagine what the full version would be. You sold me on Modal Runs, so I'm going to grab them hoping that MIDI record will be available someday. That's one of the things that was holding me back initially, and that's why I was looking at Capriccio. Of course, this means that I won't be dipping my toes into the Sonokinetic phrase-based universe, but I'll look at that during the next sale. I will also do a review of Modal runs on my YouTube channel. Thanks for your help.

Scarlet Jerry
Cool I agree the midi recording will be a cherry pie on top however you can practice till then.Hopefully they will have a few more functions(like i suggested ..and more!!) up their sleeve on an upgrade.I'm trying to perfect some Mahavishnu Orchestra type lines and I need some new features!!

I thought you already had modal runs!

Oops .... that was still hanging. Down to Indie, Largo, Ibrido Cinematica again. Tough with no specific project in mind. Hate to miss these prices. Pondering your earlier posts and almost coin toss between Indie & Largo. Open to even subtle push based on in-depth perspectives.

Last edited:
Oops .... that was still hanging. Down to Indie, Largo, Ibrido Cinematica again. Tough with no specific project in mind. Just hate to miss these prices. Pondering your earlier posts and almost coin toss between Indie & Largo. Open to even subtle push based on your in-depth perspectives.
I'm thinking seriously about Indie. I've quite liked the new mechanics with Noir, and Indie uses much the same system.

Oops .... that was still hanging. Down to Indie, Largo, Ibrido Cinematica again. Tough with no specific project in mind. Hate to miss these prices. Pondering your earlier posts and almost coin toss between Indie & Largo. Open to even subtle push based on in-depth perspectives.
uhhhhh yeh....get ....those....because as soon as get one and "get it" you'll eventually get them all

Can anyone provide info on the "parallel" phrases in the various phrase libraries? I currently have Sotto and all of the "Par" phrases have a strong m7/M6 flavor. Is this the same in other libraries?

Also, any feedback on the celeste... say in comparison to the one in Cineperc?

Top Bottom