What's new

Sonokinetic Releases Indie

Amazing Library. I found it useful also for layering epic/trailer music orchestration.
This is my first composition using 'Indie'.
For melody and base accompaniment I used Hollywood Orchestra/Bosendorfer Piano (EastWest).
For Strings/Woodwinds/Mallet Ornaments I used different patches from Sonokinetic Indie (9 voices total)

Your demo "Highgate Wood" is great.
Yesterday I purchased Indie and I am totally satisfied.
It is a good idea to implement the phrase starting point feature also to Noir.
Again a great work, Sonokinetic.

Fast download of Indie yesterday! Most appreciated.

As per early conversations in this thread, one of the first things I did was examine tuning. Information on setting Kontakt tuning to -0.06 and resaving the patch (under a new name) was mentioned, so that Indie would match the 440 tuning of other libraries. Done! But looking at other Sonokinetic purchases, I've noticed that some have a "Tuning" option to select 440, while others do not. Which brings me to my questions:

a) Are ALL Sonokinetic libraries recorded at 442, and therefore ALL need tuning readjusted to match 440? If not which ones are already at 440 and which ones need to be adjusted?

b) Which phrase-based libraries have the "Tuning" option on the interface and which do not? For example, I don't see any tuning option within Indie, but then Sotto does have that option. Obviously, once one starts collecting a lot of Sonokinetic products it can get confusing.

Finally, may I make a suggestion that information re. the tuning be included in all manuals, simply as a 'heads up' and reminder for all purchasers. For example, in the Indie and Noir manuals, I found no reference to the fact the libraries were recorded at 442 and one needs to alter it to match 440, yet in the Sotto manual "Tuning" is referenced.

Last edited:
Fast download of Indie yesterday! Most appreciated.

As per early conversations in this thread, one of the first things I did was examine tuning. Information on setting Kontakt tuning to -0.06 and resaving the patch (under a new name) was mentioned, so that Indie would match the 440 tuning of other libraries. Done! But looking at other Sonokinetic purchases, I've noticed that some have a "Tuning" option to select 440, while others do not. Which brings me to my questions:

a) Are ALL Sonokinetic libraries recorded at 442, and therefore ALL need tuning readjusted to match 440? If not which ones are already at 440 and which ones need to be adjusted?

b) Which phrase-based libraries have the "Tuning" option on the interface and which do not? For example, I don't see any tuning option within Indie, but then Sotto does have that option. Obviously, once one starts collecting a lot of Sonokinetic products it can get confusing.

Finally, may I make a suggestion that information re. the tuning be included in all manuals, simply as a 'heads up' and reminder for all purchasers. For example, in the Indie and Noir manuals, I found no reference to the fact the libraries were recorded at 442 and one needs to alter it to match 440, yet in the Sotto manual "Tuning" is referenced.

Hi,

we always record in 442, for the reasons Piotr mentioned earlier.
It's a good point that we should mention that in the videos and manual, and the tuning option is in all phrase based libraries except noir and indie.
I think the reason it's not in there is simply because they don't have an options screen.
The kontakt way is better in some way though, since you can then do any tuning, not just the 4 that are in the option screens for the other orchestral libraries. (Maybe we should add a 'manual' option for these, that will disable the script setting it on launch, for people who want 436 or something else - I think, but would have to check, that we actually disable the script setting it when it's beyond the boundaries anyway)

After finally finishing the download, I must say that this lib is GORGEOUS! Really amazed how delightful this is. Sort of like the 2nd incarnation of Minimal in a lot of ways. For fun, I randomized Noir and Indie in the same instance (since they share the same layout type). I was surprised how well they sound when played in unison. Lots of interesting layers and possibilities. Very complimentary for that small section sound. Anyhow, big thumbs up for this lib!
Thanks for the kind words, we're really proud of this one:)

Thanks for the kind words, we're really proud of this one:)

Bought and Downloaded. Wow

There are definitely "no-way-I-am-programming-that-with-samples" moments in my playthrough. A lot of motifs and phrases that are melodic. Bravo. I am thinking of pairing this with Largo.

I just don't see how you are topping this one. (until you do :) )

I'm chiming in a little bit late, and I would like to know 2 things:

1. what was the original tempo the phrases had been played in?

2. I own nearly all of the Sonokinetic stuff, but this library sounds a little bit less "in tune" in the strings section. This was my first impression when I watched the video "Tutorial Play Through".
Is this a problem in the practical work with the library?
Happy to see I'm not alone to hear that some instruments are not perfectly in tune, this is why I didn't buy this library. I own most of the Sonokinetic libs, I really love their products, but this time I will pass.

Can anyone else confirm if this library is having tuning problems? If so, I'll have to pass.
:) please just check the demos and videos and hear for yourself - from all the people using Indie we have only heard positive comments - there are no tuning problems in this library.
It might not be perfectly sterile, but that is one of Sonokinetic's unique selling points - our stuff sounds real :)

How do you know it has tuning problems if you haven't even tried it? I think the demos sound excellent, I don't hear thing issues. What demo in particular?
Some people in the forum said there are tuning issues. No need to squirt your panties over this. I was only asking a civil question.

Some people in the forum said there are tuning issues. No need to squirt your panties over this. I was only asking a civil question.

I think a couple of tuning related posts got mixed up, the main discussion was about all Sonokinetic instruments being recorded in 442, and how you can tune kontakt down if you want them to blend in a 440 environment.

the other question that was asked by lucky 909091 was whether tuning was an issue in practical use - specifically the string section as heard in the playthrough video. That question has yet to be answered, I am biased of course :)

Fiestared then said he didn't buy the library because he also thought he heard some tuning discrepancies in the videos...

maybe some people who own the library can share their thoughts on the matter then:)

I used this library in 4 productions, and I was able to use it even in an electronic track and without any problem of intonation. There are structural bugs, I can't deny this and many times I had to close and reopen the project because the track went haywire and got stuck on the first chord, and sometimes it happened that some voices didn't work together with others, but I didn't have absolutely heard intonation problems, neither using it with chamber orchestra nor using it with symphony orchestra. The sound tends to be gloomy and, since we really want to talk about intonation, it may seem downpitch, not crescent as someone assume for the '442' used in past sonokinetic library, but this is also due to the very dry and raw type of recording regarding the 'close' and 'decca' microphones, and personally I see it as a quality, because this dark sound gives a certain peculiarity to the mix. I don't like 'far' and 'wide' microphones, I don't find them qualitatively up to the mark and the sound gets lost and gets confused, but I don't see it as a limit, since I prefer to work with the other two microphones and take care personally of the stereo image. If we want to look at the hair in the egg, these are the problems that I have encountered but which in any case do not make me change my mind about having made an excellent purchase and having gained in inspiration. But no, the intonation is the last thing that worries me (and I don't see why it should, since we are all able to work on the pitch of a track, where it should not be perfect).

There are structural bugs, I can't deny this and many times I had to close and reopen the project because the track went haywire and got stuck on the first chord,

hi Sarah, please open a support ticket at support.sonokinetic.net so we can help you out with these issues - we were pretty sure all the bugs were squashed in the final phase of dev, but if there are still bugs in the released product we are very interested in learning about them so we can address them!

Can anyone else confirm if this library is having tuning problems? If so, I'll have to pass.
Hm, hard to say... I also firstly had that feeling going through some of the demos (Unsolved Mystery, Highgate Wood-Cello around 1:00), and now again when hearing Sarahs example on the top of this page.
But it´s not really "tuning problems" - my guessing is like that: Piotr is from a slavonic background, and since recording in Zlin it makes twice as much sense to choose local musicians. And so it´s more that slavonic, more "darker/melancholic" approach, what gives you this feeling (maybe @Sarah De Carlo was also speaking in that direction). And it especially becomes more obvious, when you mix it with other stuff from the "brighter" side...
Hope that makes some sense.

I used in 3 tracks for a show I'm working on...did not use it as the feature (I never use phrase libraries as a feature) but it supplied background movement and it worked fantastic. I don't usually use more than one or two phrases at a time (usually 1) but it really helps transform a track just using that taste of realism, and Indie may now be my new favorite Sonokinetic library.

Hm, hard to say... I also firstly had that feeling going through some of the demos (Unsolved Mystery, Highgate Wood-Cello around 1:00), and now again when hearing Sarahs example on the top of this page.
But it´s not really "tuning problems" - my guessing is like that: Piotr is from a slavonic background, and since recording in Zlin it makes twice as much sense to choose local musicians. And so it´s more that slavonic, more "darker/melancholic" approach, what gives you this feeling (maybe @Sarah De Carlo was also speaking in that direction). And it especially becomes more obvious, when you mix it with other stuff from the "brighter" side...
Hope that makes some sense.

Yes, HardyP, this is exactly what I meant.

It can be a detail that can create a difference in certain productions and enrich them, as can be something difficult to manage. I think that in the end, everything is at the level of inspiration that the producer has using the instrument ... which is then the real utility of these libraries with pre-packaged melodies :)

Top Bottom