What's new

Sonokinetic Orchestral Strings Released!

I am pretty excited about this. I really love the sound of these strings, but I just finished using them on a contest composition piece and was really frustrated by the volume inconsistencies and other issues people have complained about which were real. After the update, it does appears some of these volume issues are resolved, so hopefully smoother sailing as I really enjoy these but was starting to think they just were not worth all the extra work. Here is a the piece and you can hear them used at the opening credits starting around 4:24.

I see it in Native Access. Sonokinetic Manager and Native Access have sync issues. NA shows a bunch of Sonokinetic updates available that I updated long ago in SM, but this time, it's the other way around 🤷‍♂️
it does not sync with my NA .. :(, and i didn't get the updates from the Sono Manager

Price of NOIR in that link is wrong btw if anyone gets excited like I did 😂 (Already notified Sonokinetic)

This link has the proper price: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/catalog/nks-special/

Although when adding to cart, both are priced well.

Last edited:
Well, I checked the sale and fortunately for my wallet, I have it all. Great prices though. And if you don't have The Watchmaker, grab it. It has the best old fashioned ticking clock sounds. Lots of wind up clocks. I've actually used them for percussion in a few projects. The bundle is a great deal as well.

Anyone have examples of how just the close mics sound? w/ no reverb?
The close mics still have quite a bit of ambience, so if you are looking for a dry sounding symphonic strings library, this one is not for you. imho. SOS is meant to have a good amount of ambience, and reflections of the great sounding concert hall it was recorded in. No point of re-engineering it to sound dry, it defies the whole attractiveness of this library.

I can post some short audio clips of the Close-Spot mics on some articulations, i.e. the shorts like the pizz. or stacc. will give you a good idea of how they sound. Let me know if you still want to hear some audio clips.

The close mics still have quite a bit of ambience, so if you are looking for a dry sounding symphonic strings library, this one is not for you. imho. SOS is meant to have a good amount of ambience, and reflections of the great sounding concert hall it was recorded in. No point of re-engineering it to sound dry, it defies the whole attractiveness of this library.

I can post some short audio clips of the Close-Spot mics on some articulations, i.e. the shorts like the pizz. or stacc. will give you a good idea of how they sound. Let me know if you still want to hear some audio clips.
Some clips would br great! No rush of course.

@Sonokinetic BV ,

I think I found a bug in your scripting when playing the Basses Pizzicato articulation at medium velocities, i.e. 50, 57, and up, but it doesn't happen when playing at vel. 127, and some lower value velocities (0 thru around 43 or maybe a bit more. These are specific to the notes E1 and Eb1. The played notes in the problematic velocity ranges sound like they cutoff the audio, then continue. Like a hiccup.

Here is what the script error message shows :

If anyone can try to check if they are getting this issue as well it would be helpful to confirm this. I will report this to Sonokinetic Support once it is confirmed by other users of this library. I'm using the latest version of Kontakt ver. 6.7.1 on Windows 10 .

Thanks.

I will report this to Sonokinetic Support once it is confirmed by other users of this library.
FYI, this kind of thing drives us people who work at software companies crazy. There is no benefit to withholding a support ticket to the company when you run into an issue. :emoji_upside_down:

Last edited:
Played around with Sonokinetic Orchestral Strings this weekend and grabbed this trailer from The CueTube to practice on. The composition is pretty lame (4 chords) as I was really just originally trying to work with the sound of the strings, but I ended up adding brass, percussion and a bit of choir. I think these strings sound great if you can get them in the sweet spot, but definitely not a dry sound regardless of mics and reverb. For me that's fine as I like a wet sound and really like the sound of this hall. This piece uses all five sections, violin1s and viola mostly morphing between sustain and expressive, violin1s also playing ostinatos with spiccato with a blend of some col legno and cellos and bass ostinatos with staccatissimo with a blend of some pizzicato. Cellos are also laying down a bed with some sul tasto chords. I am not a great mixer, but thought I would post it here in case anyone else is interested in this library and continuing to work with it.

3. Just a small On/Off button at the bottom above the Sonokinetic logo (settings menu opener) that'd easily help toggle the Legato On/Off would be super cool. This is just a personal opinion.. could maybe take into consideration if more users support this?

Thanks again! Appreciate your support 🙌
@Sonokinetic BV I am just reworking my expression maps for this library and still wondering how to easily switch legato on/off. Is this button already available? :)

Speaking honestly I am very unhappy with the purchase considering my first purchase from Sonokinetic , I initially loved the sound but the library is very complex to use with design issues that are totally unintuitive. Like even the simple legato switch. I am sure @Sonokinetic BV put a lot of money into recording and getting library to sound amazing, but it still has so many bugs and was released half baked. Also what's the use if no one finds the UI comfortable enough to use and no response and support on so many valuable suggestions raised in this forum, I feel like it's just money lost.

@Sonokinetic BV if you come across this message, would really appreciate if you could just let us know if you plan to support this product anymore or is it considered a finished product with no more updates?

Requesting:
1. Legato switch on main UI
2. Individual patches for less memory and ease of use
3. Ensemble patch (can wait for it)
4. In individual patch bring other setting to main page UI

Last edited:
Is there a way to assign CC11 (default cc for morphing between articulations)to different articulations groups?For instance,I want to morph between vibrato and non vibrato at first part of my song,but I want to morph sustain and tremolo in another part?

Top Bottom