What's new

Sonokinetic Capriccio problem

Celestial Aeon

I'm just trying out Sonokinetic Capriccio, but I am having hard time understanding how the flow of it should work. Here is an example run which makes me wonder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x966r6GDRAE

So basically I'm just holding two notes and try to trigger the triad at the right point in time. However it seems that sometimes the triad trigger somehow makes one of the layers to just disappear, while on the next try everything once again starts playing like should. All in all it feels like I can't get it to create the "flow" I see in the demos and reviews but the end outcome is clunky and well, as it is basically unusable. Also it seems that the Kontakt CPU usage jumps to red on each triad trigger, while my machine is pretty powerful.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

If you are using the 24 bit samples, the engine can really be a hog. You are also playing it live. When using it, I tend to play in what I want and then "fix" the MIDI to do what it is SUPPOSED to do after the fact...in other words, these products are not meant for live performances (unless of course, you are using the "lite" versions in 16 bit which translate quite well).

When I look at the demos and review, I am always seeing the input as pre-recorded MIDI files. I don't actually remember seeing one played live on the video as you did. In some cases you have to move the MIDI notes to trigger early for the correct timing in a project.

Aa, thank you! So in a way they are designed to be tools that you can't really effectively test live, but sort of have to just lay down the structures even if it sounds "horrible" and then fix it afterwards and just have faith the eventually you'll get there where you intended? Don't know why I got the impression that the demos were played live... I guess I just presumed :)

The demos are not played live, but they shouldn't be this bad. I can easily play multiple instances live. I would say, maybe your latency is too low. Is the hard drive an SSD?

- Piotr

The demos are not played live, but they shouldn't be this bad. I can easily play multiple instances live. I would say, maybe your latency is too low. Is the hard drive an SSD?

- Piotr

It's SSD and most of the libraries I run through Kontakt work just fine, so it feels a bit bewildering to have such a bad output from Capriccio. I can't think of any clear technical reason why it should have this kind of effect in comparison to my other libraries I'm using.

It's a bit different from other Kontakt libraries as it uses time machine pro for multiple voices. But it should be ok anyway.

Does it still happen when the playback or record is rolling?

- Piotr

But I guess it's a matter of manually moving the midi notes around trying to find the right trigger points to not cause glitches? Oh well. I was just hoping for a bit more livelike experience

Their libraries never worked well for me. I'm on a fairly powerful iMac running Logic. I've tried everything including all buffer settings, etc and I'm on a SSD. I get clicks, pops, etc on playback. Useless libraries for me, unfortunately.

I've had good luck with them, but not usually playing live. I always figured I can't move my fingers fast enough. I am not a great keyboardist.

When I do use midi, I find I have to move stuff around a bit to get a smooth flow when changing chords, but it does get fairly smooth.

Are you using multiple mics at the same time? Using just one mic will definitely help. I have an average computer (i5 9400, 32 GB ram) and I can play the Sonokinetic phrase libs live without problems streaming off a 7400RPM hard drive.

I wrote the manual for this. There are lots of trouble shooting tips and techniques towards the end so make sure you've tried everything there first. I have to say I don't have any issues playing live with Cappricio. Make sure you have the number of HQ voices in Kontakt set high enough to cover all the phrases and mics that you're using. Also check your DAW buffer.

I wrote the manual for this. There are lots of trouble shooting tips and techniques towards the end so make sure you've tried everything there first. I have to say I don't have any issues playing live with Cappricio. Make sure you have the number of HQ voices in Kontakt set high enough to cover all the phrases and mics that you're using. Also check your DAW buffer.
Is there any trick to keeping it moving while you change chords? I want to say I remember something like a latch switch, but I never can find it. thanks!

Is there any trick to keeping it moving while you change chords? I want to say I remember something like a latch switch, but I never can find it. thanks!
The Phrase Continue keyswitch. Along with the Bar Sync function, these keyswitches are essential to manipulating how phrasing behaves when changing chords, or if wanting the phrase to pick up at a specific beat in the bar, respectively.

Without engaging these functions, the default is that phrases will trigger from their start point with each chord change, which can be musically limiting. For me, these options are an essential aspect to SK libraries becoming more pliable and expressive, though I think a lot of SK users aren’t routinely using these. But the assigned keyswitches vary depending on the SK library, which is where a post-it can be a useful thing : )

FYI, Indie, though a bit different, has an additional (advanced) option to stagger where the individual instruments will begin along the bar.

The Phrase Continue keyswitch. Along with the Bar Sync function, these keyswitches are essential to manipulating how phrasing behaves when changing chords, or if wanting the phrase to pick up at a specific beat in the bar, respectively.

Without engaging these functions, the default is that phrases will trigger from their start point with each chord change, which can be musically limiting. For me, these options are an essential aspect to SK libraries becoming more pliable and expressive, though I think a lot of SK users aren’t routinely using these. But the assigned keyswitches vary depending on the SK library, which is where a post-it can be a useful thing : )

FYI, Indie, though a bit different, has an additional (advanced) option to stagger where the individual instruments will begin along the bar.

Top Bottom