What's new

Sonokinetic 12 Days of Christmas - Day 12 MEGA DEAL - Tutti Vox only €75!

With all respect to the value of phrase based composition ... does any one ever think of these libraries more as "figure libraries"?

That is, sitting somewhere between full on phrase bases libraries and the kind of libraries we see commonly for ostinato/runs/evos/ waves/ arcs. That is figures that are hard to capture with multisample, without being full baked phrases.

Clearly, all the sonokinetic phrase libs have at least some phrases that are figures rather than fully melodic phrases. Bass lines, mostly obviously. But also flourishes on the flutes etc.

It also strikes me that another reason to justify buying these phrase libraries is to learn how to compose at the granularity of figures.

Because, sure, transcribing and score study is an essential way to build your own internal library of these kind of figures and orchestration effects. Yet it strikes me that if you take the figural elements of the libraries (bracketing the more fully baked melodic phrases for a moment) then again the fluidity, improvisational, performability gives you a way to learn to compose at this figural layer of granularity.

Which is an extension of my justification of buying Modal Runs (or how I would have justified buying it if it hadn't landed in my lap for free :) ) This notion that the improvisationabiltiy of the library might, whatever its additional merits in actual composition and mock ups, might greatly assist the pedagogical process.

Just a thought.

(Though I if I keep this up, I'll be broke buy day 12).
I think the term phrase-based for Sonokinetic libraries can be a bit of a misnomer, as the patterns can and do lend themselves to being used in myriads of ways. Both phrase-follow functionality and harmonic shift defy conventional phrase-based approaches.

It also depends on the product, though the tools are familiar and universal across the product line. Soto, for example, lends itself to texture, though is inherently timed to adapt to host tempos. Some patches can be adjusted more rhythmically, or used as texture. Largo, with it’s more melodic phrases, has the same tools for determining start points to the phrase/figure, offset, when and where dynamics can be applied, and even off/on mutes to tailor the behavior of the source material. These tools appear in all the pattern-based libraries.

I think Phrase-follow is an overlooked feature, where the phrase/figure being played can change chord in mid-measure without re-triggering the phrase from its start (or you can opt to have it do that). Indie added a more advanced set of tools to determine how a phrase will play while layering in several patches concurrently.

As for a workflow approach previously highlighted, I just added Grosso string figures/patterns sparingly, Indie phrases more generously, and sustained Largo winds judiciously to a musical theatre soundtrack project that is otherwise composed of played-in notes from my array of orchestral libraries. There is a bit of mixing involved, but it seams together well for me.

As for “figures,” I think it’s safe to say many Sonokinetic libraries nuance both phrases and patterns amongst their the curated choices of available patches, even as each product stresses a particular genre or style. Even so, I routinely blend different SK products if the pattern simply works in the context of my composition, where even a “driven” library like Maximo has a variation of phrases that can cross over to other styles, and so forth.

I presume by mentioning your “justification” for purchasing several times, you mean justifying personal expense? The libraries themselves certainly need no justification or proof, as these are proven and effective tools, but where such approaches may not be for everyone. Just the ideas alone these things can generate has jump-started me many times, even where I may not use the source inspiration in the final mix.

I think I chime in every year during the SK sale. Maybe I should cut and paste, lol? Where I get frustrated in the discourse is sensing how some interpret these libraries as if one is meant to only orchestrate or compose with a phrase, in a predetermined notion of what that even means. But that’s never been Sonokinetic’s intent. These are innovative mockup tools that, in good hands, broaden many kinds of workflows.

Some of these demos are very lovely, and quite true to the spirit of the New York Minimlaists. Ruben's initial demo, for instance. And that one in the video with the flower. Lovely. Not that I want to write this kind of thing. But that there remains such lovely New York-esque minimalist pieces to be written (ie that Philip Glass hasn't himself gotten around to writing yet) is very encouraging.

Thank you so much for the kind words. As time goes by I often forget which demos I've done but this one was a particular highlight for me. So much so that I actually went back after the release and "finished" the track with extra parts (and also extended the length). I'm not sure I've ever posted it before so here you go:

InqfPsI.jpg

Day 4: 50% off our AMS instruments (Bowls, Carillon, Chime and Sleigh Bells II) and also the bundle at https://www.sonokinetic.net/sale

Compatible with the free Kontakt player and NKS, and now priced at only €12,45 each!

With all respect to the value of phrase based composition ... does any one ever think of these libraries more as "figure libraries"?

That is, sitting somewhere between full on phrase bases libraries and the kind of libraries we see commonly for ostinato/runs/evos/ waves/ arcs. That is figures that are hard to capture with multisample, without being full baked phrases.

Clearly, all the sonokinetic phrase libs have at least some phrases that are figures rather than fully melodic phrases. Bass lines, mostly obviously. But also flourishes on the flutes etc.

It also strikes me that another reason to justify buying these phrase libraries is to learn how to compose at the granularity of figures.

Because, sure, transcribing and score study is an essential way to build your own internal library of these kind of figures and orchestration effects. Yet it strikes me that if you take the figural elements of the libraries (bracketing the more fully baked melodic phrases for a moment) then again the fluidity, improvisational, performability gives you a way to learn to compose at this figural layer of granularity.

Which is an extension of my justification of buying Modal Runs (or how I would have justified buying it if it hadn't landed in my lap for free :) ) This notion that the improvisationabiltiy of the library might, whatever its additional merits in actual composition and mock ups, might greatly assist the pedagogical process.

Just a thought.

(Though I if I keep this up, I'll be broke buy day 12).
This is EXACTLY why I'm interested in these. I've been writing & recording music for a while. Very recently I started introducing a "cinematic" soundscape to what most here would consider pop. And that lead to interest in writing something closer to orchestral proper.

I read music slow enough to be frustrated by traditional study of this stuff. I've only improvised a bit with Indie, but I can see these being very helpful. If and when I'm ready for the next step, I'll hit the books.

that seems about right.
Also, the Ostinato ones are very much meant to be played, not just held - that's why the rhythm keyswitches are so prominent in the interface. The idea is you can construct all kinds of rhythms just by triggering the rhythm keys at the right time (preferably with low and high decoupled).
Yes, also it's nice to have the repetitions performed even as you shift among the various patterns.

@Sonokinetic BV
don´t realy understand your today offer, there are 3 prices for the same thing:
the bells collection is there for just 37,45€ plus VAT <- that´s the Days-of-Christmas-price
below that is a crossed price of 74,90€ plus VAT which seems to be the normal price outside Days of Christmas
but what is the "full price 99,60€ plus VAT" ? don´t find any info about the difference, is there somehting missing in the Days-of-christmas-collection? because 50% off of 99,60 isn´t 37,45 ;)

@Sonokinetic BV
don´t realy understand your today offer, there are 3 prices for the same thing:
the bells collection is there for just 37,45€ plus VAT <- that´s the Days-of-Christmas-price
below that is a crossed price of 74,90€ plus VAT which seems to be the normal price outside Days of Christmas
but what is the "full price 99,60€ plus VAT" ? don´t find any info about the difference, is there somehting missing in the Days-of-christmas-collection? because 50% off of 99,60 isn´t 37,45 ;)

The full price is for the USB edition. In small print. :)

I wonder if there are any other libraries with that midi drag and drop functonality ?

Yeah, some have an unfair advantage to partake in those giveaways. It would be better to split it up over the day, or to randomly give it away to those who signed up. Not sure if the latter would be legal though.

Then again, it's hard to argue with it. Just have a sense that it will create a negative feeling for some and that it would go against the objective of the campaign.

Yes! Finally the offer I was waiting for!
Was really only interested in Bowls, but at that price I might grab the whole bundle.

Thanks Sonokinetic!

Are the bells samples readily available for use in other samplers by the way?
I prefer to use Falcon whenever possible.

Are the bells samples readily available for use in other samplers by the way?
I prefer to use Falcon whenever possible.
no they are not... They are ncw samples packed in nkx containers, and the way they are edited would make it quite hard to use them in anything other than these instruments - we did some stuff to keep the RAM load down because some of these samples have 30 second tails.
Also you would be missing out on the sequenced bells and the clusters, that I think can be really inspirational as well. One of those clusters was the main inspiration for my demo 'Highgate Wood'

From what I could gather, most of the phrase libs have that feature. There are maybe 2-3 that don't.
Yes, we added it to all of the tonal ones I think - so only Espressivo, Tutti and Tutti Vox would not have it because those scores were more doodles than notes so the midi wouldn't make much sense :)

no they are not... They are ncw samples packed in nkx containers, and the way they are edited would make it quite hard to use them in anything other than these instruments - we did some stuff to keep the RAM load down because some of these samples have 30 second tails.
Also you would be missing out on the sequenced bells and the clusters, that I think can be really inspirational as well. One of those clusters was the main inspiration for my demo 'Highgate Wood'

Got it! Yeah, I figured that there would be some sourcery involver

Got it! Yeah, I figured there would be some sourcery involved that would require some tinkering to reproduce.
I just hate Kontakt with a passion so I avoid it every chance I get.
But these sound so good so I can't help myself :D

I am impressed by Modal Runs. Before the 12 Days began I had my eye on The Watchmaker, so we'll see how events unfold. Currently downloading Minimal.

I just used my loyalty points to bring my discount down even more. Love Bell instruments & got the bundle!

When downloading I noticed there were some other libraries that needed updating to version 1.1 like Largo. However I can't seem to update when pointing it to the download location. I changed the names of my folders to only the library name all in caps like LARGO and if that makes any difference at all but the update button is grayed out. Do we have to reinstall the entire libraries again?

Sonokinetic can you tell me what I'm overlooking for updates in the portal?

I just used my loyalty points to bring my discount down even more. Love Bell instruments & got the bundle!

When downloading I noticed there were some other libraries that needed updating to version 1.1 like Largo. However I can't seem to update when pointing it to the download location. I changed the names of my folders to only the library name all in caps like LARGO and if that makes any difference at all but the update button is grayed out. Do we have to reinstall the entire libraries again?

Sonokinetic can you tell me what I'm overlooking for updates in the portal?
I just updated Indie and Minimal today. For those two libraries, the update is downloaded directly from my account page on the website - the Sonokinetic Manager is not used. Don't know if the same applies to Largo.

Top Bottom