What's new

Sonokinetic 12 days of Christmas - Day 12 - Largo 50% OFF!!

Sono’s Woodwinds library is pretty darn good. Wish they’d start adding to the series with other instrument sections, but for non owners of this lib I think the the price is a no-brainer.
Do you know how many dynamic layers each patch has, and especially is the highest dynamic layer aggressive and piercing, especially in the upper range for clarinets and flutes? The sounds I heard in the demo seem only to get to a forte level of playing, and that only barely. It sounds most lovely but not what I need.

Sorry if this has already been asked. Woodwind Ensembles was released a couple of years ago now. Has anyone heard if other libraries are in the pipeline for this series (eg solo woodwinds, Brass ensembles etc)?

Do you have the full NI woodwinds or just essentials? NI has a soloists pack, too, whereas Sonokinetic's is just ensembles, so that's a potential difference. I've been trying to figure out how many dynamic layers the Sonokinetic instruments have. My sense is that it doesn't really reach into ff territory much less louder, but maybe I just missed the demos that illustrate this. I only have the essentials for NI winds (they came with KU11), and haven't done anything but play them a bit, but they also does not seem to have the forced tone of the higher dynamics (in order to maintain consistency of tone I imagine). The ensemble is generally tighter in the NI essential patches as well. As I mentioned above the looseness and tightness of the ensemble is a bit of a taste thing, but the looser ensemble might have worked well with, say, the Arks if the the Sonokinetic ensemble winds just weren't so darned polite!
Full

Then you are in the position I think of deciding whether you like the sound of these winds enough to replace what you have or if these winds supplement yours in a useful way in either sound or workflow. I think if you worked a lot with the Sonikinetic phrase libraries, for instance, this library might make doing the midi drag and drop and changing the pattern a bit easier because the instruments would match. If I recall rightly, you don’t use those libraries much though.

Can anyone comment on the dynamics?

The recorded de/cresendos sounds great. But I don't have a sense of the dynamic layers and the cross fade.
I'd like to know this too especially if it has an ff/fff layer and if the loudest layer gets piercing in the upper register and dynamic layer of the flute and clarinet.

Last edited:
Then you are in the position I think of deciding whether you like the sound of these winds enough to replace what you have or if these winds supplement yours in a useful way in either sound or workflow. I think if you worked a lot with the Sonikinetic phrase libraries, for instance, this library might make doing the midi drag and drop and changing the pattern a bit easier because the instruments would match. If I recall rightly, you don’t use those libraries much though.
Yeah definitely not looking for a replacement, just a supplement.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hmm...

Top Bottom