What's new

Sonarworks preset management limitations - tips?

rsg22

Picked up Sonarworks SoundID Reference recently (headphones edition). After painstakingly setting up a bunch of custom targets (user presets) for a number of headphones, I was dismayed to realize there's no way to share user presets between the app and plugin, or export presets to use on a 2nd computer. In short, whatever software (standalone app or DAW plugin) and whatever computer you create custom presets on - that's where they'll stay - without manually recreating each preset from scratch. Also - custom presets are stored in proprietary config files (not plain text or XML) that can only be used by the specific software that created them (again, no sharing between app and plugin or between computers).

I emailed the good folks at Sonarworks who confirmed all this. They indicated preset management features are requested often and they're considering adding then in a future version (no ETA).

Is anyone aware of any workarounds? The Sonarworks software is great at what it does, but it has some truly confounding UX issues.

Mac or PC? I’ve recently been in contact with Sonarworks regarding presets disappearing, which required me to locate and duplicate the preset files to have them on hand. I don’t have a second computer handy, but I don’t think there would be any issue moving or copying those preference files to another computer.

Mac or PC? I’ve recently been in contact with Sonarworks regarding presets disappearing, which required me to locate and duplicate the preset files to have them on hand. I don’t have a second computer handy, but I don’t think there would be any issue moving or copying those preference files to another computer.
Mac.

Yeah knowing the location of the config/db file would at least allow one to move presets between computers. Though it wouldn't help with having custom targets created in the app show up in the plugin and vice versa - at least according to support who told me the app and the plugin use different formats to store that information.

Yeah knowing the location of the config/db file would at least allow one to move presets between computers.
I can’t know for sure, not being Sonarworks, but I had no issue with the presets/targets being copied, or at least I’m pretty sure.

Check:
User/Library/Sonarworks/SoundID Reference/Sonarworks Projects/Exported Presets/Merging Technologies

That’s where my presets are located, and they included the captured speaker profiles, and all of the app settings.

Check:
User/Library/Sonarworks/SoundID Reference/Sonarworks Projects/Exported Presets/Merging Technologies
That folder exists on my HD but it's empty. I don't have speaker profiles as I have the headphones-only version of SoundID Reference.

This folder has the built-in flat targets I'm using for my headphones, but not my custom targets (user presets):

User/Library/Sonarworks/SoundID Reference/Sonarworks Projects/

There are some non-human-readable config files here which probably contain the custom user presets from the stand-alone app (according to support):

User/Library/Sonarworks/SoundID Reference/Systemwide/

Top Bottom