Sonarworks.. Have you got it??

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Tod, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Tod

Tod Senior Member

Hi, I got Sonarworks yesterday and I'm wondering how many of you VI-Controllers also have it and use it?

If you do, what do you think about your results?

My first impression is that it seems to add some compression. It doesn't sound to bad frequency wise. Actually I am rather impressed because it sounds pretty close to the way the hardware graphic EQs sound that I've had on my studio monitor system for many years. It's the first time I've had anything come close to that.

So far my listening tests have been with some commercial reference songs along with some songs I've produced recently. The link below is one I produced for one of my clients, Thom Harri who's in his 80s but he still does pretty well. How does it sound to you. Overly compressed? To bright, not bright enough, maybe bassy or not enough bass?

2. playz123

playz123 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Nanaimo, BC
    There have been numerous discussions about Sonarworks (and competitor's products) previously, so if you do a search it should provide you with a lot of useful information, For example, start here:
    https://vi-control.net/community/threads/sonarworks-monitor-calibration-psa.49163/#post-3903081

As for me, I finally got around to ordering it and the mic yesterday, am currently awaiting delivery, and so can't offer much in the way of helpful input right now. Obviously though, I felt strongly enough about it to purchase it. :)

3. SBK

SBK Active Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Got it, it has saved many of my friends with problematic rooms for sure. My correction though has a weird cancelation at 1KHz , a dip, and that is what Reference boosts and it won't sound so good. I have contacted them to ask for a version to manually adjust the affected correction area , as I my setup produces something than cannot be "saved" and they have it on future plans. Definitely sounds flatter. I am not sure about compression now that you mention

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. Near Decision

Near Decision New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Canada
    As @SBK mentions, SW's boosting of certain frequencies in an effort to make things flat means that other problems can be introduced. However, there is an option to set the "Max Correction" to a "No Boost" option, which means that Reference will do "cuts" to bring levels down, but will never apply any boosts to increase any levels.

With not being able to put anything on the walls where I am, this is the next best thing, and it does wonders to clean things up.

Attached Files:

HelixK likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Thanks all of you for replying. :)

So Near Decision, where do you find those options. Is this before you take measurements? I can't find it anywhere on the plugin.

6. Near Decision

Near Decision New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Canada
    Hey Tod,

That option is available right away in the "Advanced" section of the plugin (right next to Calibrate and Simulate), either after you take your own measurements, or just use one of the built-in averaged curves right away (top right dropdown). I've attached a little screencast of where to find it and how the correction limiting works on the response curve.

Attached Files:

7. SBK

SBK Active Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Hoping for a version where you can manually edit the corrections yourself

8. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
  9. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Okay, thanks a lot Near Decision, I switched it to 0dB and it made a big difference.

Your Sonarworks looks much different then mine, what version do you have?

10. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Yeah, I actually thought I would be able to do that, but nay.

11. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Thanks with your reply jamwerks.

jamwerks likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Okay, I've got another question. What's the deal with Systemwide?

I've read everything on the Sonarworks web site, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer?

13. paulmatthew

paulmatthew Senior Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Milwaukee, Wi
    I just ordered it this weekend .

14. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Hi Tod, I don't have Sonarworks so I can't add much here other than to say the mix sounds quite good here. You might bring the voice forward slightly in a spot or two but overall, the clarity is good. I gather than Sonarworks is altering the EQ of the mix? Or is it altering only that of your monitoring?

15. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Hi Gregory, actually what you heard is the actual mix of the song. My concern was how that song sounded to other VI-Control folks, because when I first used Sonarworks in my DAW, it sounded way overly compressed. Also it was just slightly brighter. Hense the reason I posted this thread.

To better explain, I built the control room I have now back in 1980, it's the old LEDE design (no parallel surfaces) and I've basically got the same monitor system I had then. It's bi-amped with floating speakers in the front walls. The only thing I've had to replace are the 2 amplifiers for the woofers and tweeters.

It's always been a good sounding system and I've always had confidence in it for mixing and mastering. But I've always wondered about it because I didn't have the very expensive gear it took to analyse my room back then. However, in the later 80s I bought 3 Rane 27 band graphic EQs, and one of them had a sort of real time analyzer. At that time I was pretty proficient with a DOS programming language called "Quick Basic".

To make a long story short, I created a program where I could take voltage measurements of the individual frequency bands and convert them to dBs. In turn this allowed me make adjustments on a graph in dBs, then spit out those adjustments in voltages. I used those voltages to make manual adjustments of my graphic EQs. I also built in a way to add percentages of the Fletcher Munson curves which did add a finishing touch.

I did reshoot the room a couple of years ago using a new acoustic mic I bought, an ECM 8000. I used Span and I was totally surprised because I ended up with almost exactly the same settings.

So to end my story, I bought Sonarworks, primarily to see if it would make a difference. I was very curious if, #1 it would make it better and, #2 how different it would be.

I'm actually glad to say that it doesn't make a lot of difference, not since I got the compression thing ironed out thanks to Near Decision. However, I do have to say, after using Sonarworks for a while, I think it's better then my manual EQs, it just seems to be sharper and clearer. So I'm sold and I think Sonarworks is for real. Heh heh, there does seem to be some vudoo going on but, oh well. :grin:

16. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Tod, factoring in the Fletcher Munson curves into your monitor playback system is some very advanced work. I worked on a program with the Sony DSP-F7 that took into account different Fletcher Munson curves for playback compensation back in the 90s. These days, you rarely hear about those type of acoustic adjustments. Sounds good on the iPhone ear buds right? :sad:

An LEDE room huh? Cool to have such a fancy control room to play in!

17. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Good luck Paul, I suggest you do a custom install so you can see where all the paths are. I only installed the "VST", "System Wide", and "Reference 4 Measure". However, "System Wide" did not install and I'm trying to get that sorted out with Sonarworks right now.

18. paulmatthew

paulmatthew Senior Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Thanks for the info ! I’m looking forward to this . I’m trying to get my room treated soon and this will help tremendously with that . I find my low end lacks severely. I’m hoping Reference will help me compensate accordingly .

19. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Yeah, I don't remember the exact details, but I seem to remember using something like 75%, which was actually pretty subtle.

Yes, there are no parallel surfaces, the front is completely covered with 4 inches of 701 fiberglass, and the back wall is covered with wooden splays, which is the LEDE spec. I made a few blunders, but it's actually been a good room for working with audio. :)

20. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Yeah, treating your room will be the best thing you can do, and that will also make Sonarworks more effective.

Make sure you get "System Wide" installed too, it's totally missing in my install.

I'm excited for you Paul, and let us know how it goes. :2thumbs: