Something that ressemble ''Gypsy'' but for Kontakt?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Valérie_D, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Valérie_D

Valérie_D Active Member

Dear yous,

Would you know a sample library that ressemble Gypsy from EW but for Kontakt?

Strezov Sampling released Balkan Orchestra, maybe it's in the same realm and Eduardo Tarilonte has some very interesting colors has well, thank you so much for your advice!

Valérie

Casiquire likes this.
  2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Active Member

May 8, 2017
  3. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I can't think of any collections, but Ilya Efimov's accordion (and bayan) and nylon guitar, Impact Soundworks Django gypsy jazz guitar, and Harmonic Subtones Emotional Violin would be some good options.

Casiquire likes this.
  4. gpax

gpax Senior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Yes, I was going to say that various Kontakt libraries in this vein may foot the bill of what Gypsy has (had), and in many of these instances, some of these libraries are arguably more nuanced as well.

Strezov's Balkan Orchestra contains some good options as well.

Edit: by various, I meant piecing together the ethos of a "Gypsy" style ensemble with differently produced products.

Lode_Runner likes this.
  5. mouse

mouse Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
  6. JonSolo

JonSolo Not Han's Brother

Balkin is similar but is but I would say a broader library. Celtic Era would be the closest ET library but it is for Engine (not Kontakt) and has more in common with Balkin than say either of them do with Gypsy (I happen to have all three libraries).

So really there are no collections that come close to Gypsy. The closest you will get is to assemble your own and the suggestions above are pretty good...Ilya Efimov accordions are good, and I think the ET Accordions 2 (which are for Kontakt) are also really good. Impact Soundworks Django gypsy jazz guitar sounds really good as well. For the violin Red Room Audio has two new fiddles which might fit the bill, but I have not tried them.

Paul Grymaud and leon chevalier like this.
  7. Paul Grymaud

Paul Grymaud Active Member

Hi Valérie,

Maybe this can help You. It depends if You need the Gypsy french sound that sounds almost like the spanish flamenco. Five years ago I went to Les Saintes Marie de la Mer (south France) where I spent a whole night with a group of "Gitans". Pure music with a specific guitar rythm.

So, here's the accompaniment of a song I wrote, in french, called "Prisonnier de l'amour". It's the story of a traveller who fall in love with a flamenca senorita...

I have used three guitars for the rythm:
    Indiginus "Renegade acoustic"
    Orange tree sample "Evolution nylon"
    Ilya Efimov " Nylon guitar"

And one guitar for the riffs and solo:
    Indiginus "Renaxxance"

Of course, it sounds better (imo) with my real acoustic guitar (nylon) but with a little bit of work I'm convinced we can have better results.

J'ai vu qu'il y a - 14° celsius à Montréal. Ici, il fait - 4°

Printscreen of the guitars
    Guitares Prisonnier.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I think these suggestions actually yield an even better result than Gypsy itself. The library has a ton of character but it's aged a bit. Violins today really blow this one out of the water now too, though I love the heavy vibrato

Lode_Runner likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Valérie_D

Valérie_D Active Member

Hey Paul, thank you so much for your suggestions, absolutly lovely piece and the samples indeed sounds good.

Oui, -14 celsius à Montreal : Solution : Blizzard Cookies. Biscuits .jpg

10. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Blizzard-and-eclipse cookies!

11. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    To state the obvious-why not buy Gypsy? Play’s not so bad these days.

keepitsimple likes this.
  12. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I'd say that if Gypsy is anything like Ra or Silk, it is not really deeply sampled. I bought Ra many years ago and while there are some good sounds, a lot of them just don't sound/play very good. Limited velocity layers and very limited round robins. Very clunky sounding. I recently picked up Silk hoping that those things wouldn't be an issue. Well, some of the patches are somewhat better then Ra, velocity layers and rr wise, but most of it is the same. Like only 2 rr's that have a distinctly different timbre, so you hear it switching back and forth. Limited velocity layers etc. While there are some very nice sounding instruments in Silk, playability and realism is not always it's strength, and the limited velocity range really bugs me. Often I feel like when I'm hitting the keys softly, I'm just hearing medium range samples just turned down. I also recently grabbed StormDrum 3. There are some really great sounds here. Velocity layers and rr's are improved from SD2, but quite a few of the patches suffer from the same issues. The feeling that when I hit the keys harder I expect to hear a harder hit, but I don't. Limited range. Some of the Taiko patches are absolutely anemic sounding (dynamic wise). The recordings are awesome and there's plenty of good stuff in there, so I don't regret getting it (at the sale price), but I do often scratch my head. Silk I do regret (even on sale). The bowed instruments sound pretty bad for the most part. There is no legato, only scripted. Some of the plucked are quite nice. Again the recordings are great, but compared to other developers, it just feels like they skimp on the layers and rr's. Feels more like an old rompler then a modern sample library.

Going forward I will stick to buying high quality individual instruments as opposed to getting a whole bunch of medium quality ones at a price...

Paul Grymaud and Casiquire like this.
  13. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    That's exactly the reasoning behind my earlier comment that you'll definitely do better by combining other instruments. Gypsy does have its own wonderful character, don't get me wrong, it's just a matter of the mileage you'd get.

Paul Grymaud, Valérie_D and jtnyc like this.
  14. NYC Composer

Jul 24, 2008
    I don’t disagree, but that wasn’t really the OP’s question.

15. NYC Composer

Jul 24, 2008
    As to Silk, I bought it a long time ago, but I still find the Duduk and the 30 piece string orchestra to be outstanding and helpful.

16. SoundChris

SoundChris Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Germany
    Paul Grymaud and rottoy like this.
  17. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I think it may not be so much that they skimped on layers and rr's compared to other developers, just that it actually is a relatively old rompler that tried to pack in a large quantity of instruments back in the days when CPU and RAM and HDDs were much smaller than they are today.

18. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    where is steelsring gutar and even its pricey if is not problem i bet quality is different.better or not is personal thing. ps. i think gypsy dont have clarinets.

SoundChris likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Valérie_D

Valérie_D Active Member

*Thank you all for your help!

20. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Maybe true regarding Ra and Silk, but I believe by that time other developers were going deeper, and StormDrum 3 is not very old. Again SD3 has some beautiful sounding instruments and I'm glad I have it, but quite a few feel lacking in dynamic layers