What's new

Something New From Spectrasonics!!

I would go for Symphonic Destruction before I bought these extensions. Just feel like I'd be getting something that's a genuine expansion of my sonic possibilities and performance. The deep walkthrough helped convince me even more, that it's not what I look for in synth sounds. But I'm more into sound design and patch design than layered, wet, complex presets.

I probably haven't watched enough videos, but why did they have to change Omni's GUI for these? To me it sort of adds to the perception of Omni as being a bit bloated and complicated to navigate.

Now we have different GUIs to deal with. I've just started to feel like I've mastered Omni's default controls.. can these patches be edited in the standard GUI too?

..... for recovering guitar-lics ? No Spectra demos, so likely to add Undercurrent, Unclean Machine, or Seismic Shock _ just to learn what this is about.
Soundpaint remains of high interest until released and auditioned.

..... for recovering guitar-lics ? No Spectra demos, so likely to add Undercurrent, Unclean Machine, or Seismic Shock _ just to learn what this is about.
Soundpaint remains of high interest until released and auditioned.
That's the predicament I am in. Do I cop three expansions or do I throw that money into Soundpaint. I might just have to do both. :)

That's the predicament I am in. Do I cop three expansions or do I throw that money into Soundpaint. I might just have to do both. :)
Likely you are open to broader genres. Easier to choose. Undercurrent is only extension of current interest. Now hesitant to jump in if EDM rules as strongly as it has at NI for some time.
No criticism intended, other priorities here and will monitor closely.
Soundpaint is a done deal, and waiting patiently for release.
Enjoy !

Last edited:
I have watched a lot more of the guitar demo and it sounded more musical to me than all the Soundpaint demos combined.
More so than the piano or the full compositions? The Omni guitar does sound very special indeed. Not a sound I like personally, but the quality is fantastic. It's a great reminder of just how amazing Omnisphere is, and just how good Spectrasonics sound design is for music.

Great stuff as always from Spectrasonics! Question is, will this ad 10+ years to it's lifespan, before we get another major step via Omnisphere 3.

Got all the extensions. Great stuff, I love these lo-fi sounds. It's a bit like Phonec but with much more depth. And Spectrasonics are together with Heavyocity the kings of beautiful distortion!

Although I haven't listened to every sound in every sound set demo, Nylon Sky does stand out so far. I am just afraid that if I acquire it, I'd be cheating on my other guitar libraries.
Also, because these libraries will never go on sale, there is no big rush for me; besides, I am having fun with the Omni guitars in the new strummer arps in 2.8.

I'm going back in to get the remaining 2, Undercurrent and Seismic Shock. Could've saved an additional 10% but there weren't enough videos on Tuesday to convince me, so I paused. Nylon Sky & Unclean Machine are both top notch. After watching all available videos on Undercurrent & Seismic Shock, I'm all in.

I think these sound wonderful! My only slight disappointment is from my own expectations that I’d hoped we’d see an Omnisphere update and something like these would’ve just been built in or included. I’m excited about what they’ve done here though as it all sounds very usable and tweakable.

There is one striking omission, that I hadn't considered until now - The lack of MPE.

To be at v2.8, with such new releases still bereft of a feature that's starting to become quite commonplace (Some of these smart controls would be so well-suited to 5D assignment) is a little concerning. Of course, it doesn't mean that it isn't being worked on in the background, and will seamlessly integrate with these new extension when ready. But I wonder if Spectrasonics just isn't that into the idea and will cut itself and its customers off from that last level of expressivity.

I have watched a lot more of the guitar demo and it sounded more musical to me than all the Soundpaint demos combined.

More so than the piano or the full compositions? The Omni guitar does sound very special indeed. Not a sound I like personally, but the quality is fantastic. It's a great reminder of just how amazing Omnisphere is, and just how good Spectrasonics sound design is for music.
My comment reflects more on the difference between having a single announcement video on release day, versus a sprawling range of videos over a matter of weeks prior to release.
Eric's video was very focused, whereas Troels does tend to ramble on and repeat himself.
This was accentuated by the sheer number of them.
It's not that I don't enjoy and like Troels, just that in this case I found it all too much.

I was referring to the new Nylon guitar expansion, not sure what the Omni guitar is.

Watching the SP overview video today has given me a different perspective.
For the first time, the flexibility and quality of SP has jumped out at me.

Top Bottom