What's new

Something New From Spectrasonics!!

Hi,

I'm still waiting for Spectrasonics Tech-Support / Development team to reply if they found the source of my High-CPU usage when using the Undercurrent Expansion. This only happens when I use this expansion.

This lead me to do a bit more checking on the details of where this Expansion is installed, and here is what I found, which could be the cause of the high-CPU issue, I'm not sure yet, but maybe with some of your help here I could get to the bottom of this, and fix it.

I noticed that the Undercurrent Expansion is installed in two locations, not sure why. but this could be the reason I have the High-CPU issues.

I will post the two locations, and if other Undercurrent Expansion users can check on their Windows 10 System where it is installed, and if it is installed in both these locations, or not. This will give me an indication if I need to delete one of them.

Location 1 :

Location 2 :

Thanks,
Muziksculp

This lead me to do a bit more checking on the details of where this Expansion is installed, and here is what I found, which could be the cause of the high-CPU issue, I'm not sure yet, but maybe with some of your help here I could get to the bottom of this, and fix it.
Why would a different location in the same drive impact the CPU? 🤔

Why would a different location in the same drive impact the CPU? 🤔
I have no idea.

I just wanted to double check how this expansion is setup on other Windows 10 systems, is it present in both these locations, or only one of them.

It could be that Omnisphere is trying to load the data from both locations, I don't know. Just checking this, since it looked a bit odd.

I might just try deleting the Undercurrent Extension, and re-install it again, I haven't done this procedure before. Any tips about doing this would be helpful.

The odd thing is none of the patches in Omnisphere 2 causes any type of high-CPU usage, except this Undercurrent Expansion.

Hi,

I think I finally found the cause of the high-CPU usage when using some patches from the Undercurrent Extension of Omnisphere 2.

i.e. : When I load the patch named 'Memory Waves' , and play a few chords, the CPU shoots sky high, and even when loading this patch, and not playing a note, it bumps my CPU meter a considerable amount. After a few weeks of dealing with this issue, and being in touch with Spectrasonics tech-support, I wasn't able to narrow down the cause. Well, I think I finally zeroed in on the what's causing it.

It's the new Effects that they added to this extension called Under Echo. Yup this is what was causing the CPU Spikes, the minute I disabled it from this patch, which was using it both on the Common bus, and Aux bus. The CPU went back to normal levels, as I'm usually used to seeing it when using Omnisphere.

Simple remedy, I won't be using this echo effect, which I don't find that great anyways. I can use my other delay effects that are much more CPU friendly, and do a wonderful job.

I'm going to report this to Spectrasonics Tech-Support, so they are aware about it. I hope this is also useful for forum members who have this extension.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Hi,

I think I finally found the cause of the high-CPU usage when using some patches from the Undercurrent Extension of Omnisphere 2.

i.e. : When I load the patch named 'Memory Waves' , and play a few chords, the CPU shoots sky high, and even when loading this patch, and not playing a note, it bumps my CPU meter a considerable amount. After a few weeks of dealing with this issue, and being in touch with Spectrasonics tech-support, I wasn't able to narrow down the cause. Well, I think I finally zeroed in on the what's causing it.

It's the new Effects that they added to this extension called Under Echo. Yup this is what was causing the CPU Spikes, the minute I disabled it from this patch, which was using it both on the Common bus, and Aux bus. The CPU went back to normal levels, as I'm usually used to seeing it when using Omnisphere.

Simple remedy, I won't be using this echo effect, which I don't find that great anyways. I can use my other delay effects that are much more CPU friendly, and do a wonderful job.

I'm going to report this to Spectrasonics Tech-Support, so they are aware about it. I hope this is also useful for forum members who have this extension.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
I'm glad you found the source; if not the specific explanation of why you have been having this problem but others here have not. I'm pleased the work around doesn't involve losing something you like, even if it is one of the central elements of the expansion.

I'm glad you found the source; if not the specific explanation of why you have been having this problem but others here have not. I'm pleased the work around doesn't involve losing something you like, even if it is one of the central elements of the expansion.

Yes, it is very odd that this fx they have added in the Undercurrent Extension would cause such an issue, but it does, at least on my system. I'm very happy that it wasn't something more directly related to the content of this extension, or some type of installation detail that was causing it.

It was quite a bit of detective work for me, but I'm very glad it's out of the way now, and I can enjoy using it without any issues, by simply not using this effect, which I also don't think is that great anyways.. :laugh:

I already emailed their tech-support about my discovery. Hopefully they can try to optimize this fx algorithms to consume less CPU cycles via an update. I'm also curious what they will reply to my email about the this effect.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I think of it as a brilliant marketing decision that a very talented team of developers created that accomplished two entirely different things at the same time. They saw an opportunity to move forward with Omnisphere technologically while taking Omni in an entirely new direction changing the sales model & the entire Omni paradigm,while simultaneously creating an entirely new revenue stream.
Do I wish it was cheaper or free sure but Spectrasonics is a successful business because they make great products that people have always paid top dollar for and in return we have always been delivered great products,1st class support and unparalleled QC.
The reality is Spectrasonics has never been a budget oriented sale oriented developer.
What I respect about Spectrasonics as a company is they don’t needlessly charge money for the majority of updates. Unless they think it’s a big enough move forward as a major paid update or upgrade, updates have always been free. I don’t think they made this kind of decision without due diligence.
Omnisphere 2 had so many free updates since Omni 2 was introduced,I think we’ve been somewhat spoiled. I will say it one more time, every update including 2.8 since Omni2 was released has been FREE.
The difference between Omni 2 & Omni 2.8 is simply astounding!
If a developer like Eric Persing and Spectrasonics feel this new path justifies optional paid upgrades,given their track record and absolutely no history of needless money grabbing updates like some other developers I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
I might not always have the money for their price of admission but this is one developer I have always trusted.
You make the great point that Spectrasonics has provided almost endless updated features and content for relatively no charge. I compare them with the Amp Modeler company Fractal, who did the same. Eventually there is a need to put earning up there with being creative, but I've been satisfied with the extensions, some more than others (My regret is I haven't had time to tinker much with them).

I’m not sure where to put this, but seeing as this is the Sonic Extensions thread I thought I’d plonk it here:

Their new one, Twisted Trees, sounds tailor made for trailer work. I really love the sound, as with their other SE, but in terms of how it would fit into what I do I’m not sure it would. That doesn’t stop me from wanting it of course. So far I’ve only bought Nylon Sky since it’s such a gorgeous sounding acoustic guitar. But I’ll have a think about this new one. Although, I’m sure some of these patches will be instantly recognisable if you used them in your own stuff before too long.

I’m not sure where to put this, but seeing as this is the Sonic Extensions thread I thought I’d plonk it here:

Their new one, Twisted Trees, sounds tailor made for trailer work. I really love the sound, as with their other SE, but in terms of how it would fit into what I do I’m not sure it would. That doesn’t stop me from wanting it of course. So far I’ve only bought Nylon Sky since it’s such a gorgeous sounding acoustic guitar. But I’ll have a think about this new one. Although, I’m sure some of these patches will be instantly recognisable if you used them in your own stuff before too long.
I would think starting a new thread for this would be appropriate. This one is 20 pages long, so new stuff tend to get a bit lost. :)

And it's such an amazing library, and the video is just perfect!

Last edited:
I would thubk starting a new thread for this would be appropriate. This one is 20 pages long, so new stuff tend to get a bit lost. :)

And it's such an amazing library, and the video is just perfect!
Yes, good point. Happy for someone to take the lead on the new thread. I don’t feel qualified since I’m not quite convinced it’s for me, although it does sound lovely.

Top Bottom