What's new

Something is Coming - Spitfire Thunderbolt

Reserved, distant and cold - sounds like the British to me! I have Swarm and Alternative Scoring Strings too - I think they’re all recorded in the same dry studio. I’m going to add BDT to the line up and find a way to make them fit (just like the British).

You've clearly never been to a pub or a football match (soccer). You've also missed our seething undertow of frustration and self-loathing...

What do you guys think of HZ strings? Right now I have BHCT and Studio Strings but would like one less dry library at some point.

Planning on BCT and maybe ASS.

You've clearly never been to a pub or a football match (soccer). You've also missed our seething undertow of frustration and self-loathing...

Which BDT can capture quite nicely actually...

What do you guys think of HZ strings? Right now I have BHCT and Studio Strings but would like one less dry library at some point.

Planning on BCT and maybe ASS.

In all honesty HZS is probably the biggest waste of money on my SSD. I've been unable to use it anywhere while Chamber, Symphonic and now Studio strings get used all the time. It's a giant, expensive pad machine and not a professional tool IMHO. The other items in the offer are all excellent and very useable.

Gah dammit. I don't know why but I was hoping for some thunderbolt hardware thing, maybe a Spitfire Audio Interface. Could have been fun.

HZStrings at $479 is actually a pretty decent deal tho! Also eyeing up the British Drama Toolkit, anyone got an opinion on that one? Where are you finding yourself using it the most.

-DJ

And (speaking of the British reserve myth) you've clearly never listened to a Christian Henson vlog, especially one of those with a language warning at the start.

I didn't really need HZ strings..it was a case of 'just close your eyes and press the button..you can definitely afford this'

Hi,

BDT at $119. is a bit tempting now. I wasn't sure I will use this library a lot when it was first released, but I'm re-evaluating it, especially at this price.

Any BDT users feedback on how useful it has been, or any other comments about it would be cool, and helpful.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

I didn’t think I’d ever need/want BDT, but I picked it up during the wishlist sale on a whim and am so glad I did. It works SO well for layering. As many others have commented, it lacks legato transitions, but if you have other instruments handling your melody lines, BDT is simply magical - like a more subtle evo patch - as a layering tool. I just used it throughout my latest score and it gives quiet cues an understated but audible life.

I didn’t think I’d ever need/want BDT, but I picked it up during the wishlist sale on a whim and am so glad I did. It works SO well for layering. As many others have commented, it lacks legato transitions, but if you have other instruments handling your melody lines, BDT is simply magical - like a more subtle evo patch - as a layering tool. I just used it throughout my latest score and it gives quiet cues an understated but audible life.
The upper dynamic layers of BDT have some useful sounds too so long as you don't need it to play legato. And you can also use those upper layers to sketch melodic material even if you replace it with legatos later.

Hi @thecomposer10 ,

Thanks for your helpful feedback. I already went ahead and purchased Spitfire Alternative Solo Strings Library (ASS). instead of BDT, at least for now. Will look into BDT next time around.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Hi,

BDT at $119. is a bit tempting now. I wasn't sure I will use this library a lot when it was first released, but I'm re-evaluating it, especially at this price.

Any BDT users feedback on how useful it has been, or any other comments about it would be cool, and helpful.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

I really don't use it the at all in the way it says you're supposed to on the box (and never really intended to). But almost literally, the first thing that came out of BDT when I touched it was this:

Which struck me a wholly new and gorgeous textures - despite having Orchestral Swarm, OACE and so on.

But more than other texture libraries - OACE, Orchestral Swarm etc - there's something about the particular character of these textures that I would probably never work with without something either more define as a foreground layer, or more ambient as a background layer (ie Tundra or some such - see Christian's contextual for how well it works with Tundra. Unusually for Spitfire, I can't say I care much for the sound of the non-contextual demos).

Here the BDT violins and flutes (and a bit of clarinets) just really wanted some solo strings noodled in on top of them. And there is quality about it that, with a quality almost the exact opposite of how it stretches to the edges of the larger Tundra sounds in Christian's demo, it here stretches to the more defined textural edges of the solo strings and meets them seamlessly.

So I'd describe it as very much a 'middle layer' kind of texture library (insofar as I know what that means). But It hits real sweet spot, that manages to complement Orchestral Swarm, OACE, Time Marco etc, very very nicely, while being very unique.

Last edited:
Hi @thecomposer10 ,

Thanks for your helpful feedback. I already went ahead and purchased Spitfire Alternative Solo Strings Library (ASS). instead of BDT, at least for now. Will look into BDT next time around.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
we really should start calling it SASS instead of ASS.

but we all know that @Bill the Lesser is an ASS man

Still on the fence if i want to get SASS and/or LCOS...

Hi,

I just purchase Alt-Solo Strings, but having trouble with NI Native Access.

After I input the serial, it looks like all went fine, it recognizes the library, but then the library does not show up in the un-installed list, so I can install it. It doesn't show in the Installed list either.

Any idea what's the problem here ?

UPDATE : OK, all is working well now. I guess Native Access needed a little time to add the library.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Hi,

After I input the serial, it looks like all went fine, it recognizes the library, but then the library does not show up in the un-installed list, so I can install it. It doesn't show in the Installed list either.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
i've had that happen before where i've had to restart Native Access then it shows up (make sure all procs are clear from taskmgr.)

I've also had (weirdly) 2 libraries not show up as installed, even though there were, and the problem persisted after reboots later. A few days later it showed up fine though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish there was an easier way to uninstall/re-locate single libs in Native Access.

Hi,

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Go back to Native Access, look at either "Installed Products" or maybe "Not Installed" and find Alternative Solo Strings. Click on prompt to the right, and all will be well. Confusing, has happened last several times for me too.

the one thing steering me away from SASS is the legato. Sounds rather unconvincing (to my noob ears.)

Anyone had this concern that still got it?

ETA - if there was a patch to fix this, I would be all over it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom