Something is Coming - Spitfire Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Zoot_Rollo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    the one thing steering me away from SASS is the legato. Sounds rather unconvincing (to my noob ears.)

Anyone had this concern that still got it?

ETA - if there was a patch to fix this, I would be all over it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Daniel,

British Drama Toolkit in my opinion is kind of "meh". It's built in layers that respond to velocity (most of the time 3 layers) and while the sounds are nice and depressing in a dramatic British way I feel the interface makes it difficult to control the sound. I haven't used it in any composition yet and don't know if I will.

My 2 cents,

Darren

PSKLN likes this.
  3. lp59burst

lp59burst I'm just a "hobbyist"...

Sep 11, 2016
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I have a similar issue.

Since I'm not a trained keyboard player (guitarist) I have trouble with playing velocities constantly.

It's not a knock on the VI but more on me.

I'm practicing more and am getting better at it.

What keeps me hacking away at it is once I do, on occasion, get it all right BDT produces some really nice music...

4. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    yep, 100x better than my tracks would ever sound. Those two bring out great dimensions to the libs though :)

5. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I find the velocity access to the layers to be one of the best aspects of the library. It allows a kind of EVO by other means. One thing that helps is keeping visible the version of the GUI that shows the velocities visually. It really helps you train your fingers so that you can work to hit the layer and position within the layer that you want.

Building multis with a bunch of the instruments makes for a nice effect. I find that playing around with the velocities can draw out various instruments of the ensemble. I'm not sure why it works that way but that's the effect it has for me.

BDT Multi.jpg

6. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    From a marketing standpoint, I think this was done primarily to keep people occupied before the Studio Woodwinds drop on Thursday. I suspect they didn't want the Woodwinds analyzed to death on the basis of Paul's walkthrough or people complaining about how there aren't any demos yet. Instead, this gets us talking about these libraries and wondering why these libraries are being grouped together and why the name "Thunderbolt," even as we continue thinking and talking about SF in preparation for Thursday's release. If the aim was distraction that primed us to think about SF up to the release, I think we'd have to classify it as a success.

7. skythemusic

skythemusic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Give me that SASS and get off my ASS.

MartinH. and whiskers like this.
  8. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I have the cello and violin from when they were part of the artisan series. The short and long articulations are very nice across the board. The legato is not that great IMO. The vibrato is very strong and only controllable by velocity, no crossfading. A low velocity triggers a gentle progressive vibrato and high velocity triggers an immediate, very strong, hairy vibrato which I think sounds over the top most of the time. I find it difficult to play without constantly triggering the higher velocity. It would be nice if you could adjust the crossover point as I feel it's set too low. They are really nice sounding libraries, but I wouldn't buy them for flexible legato performance.

I can upgrade and get the viola and bass for $89 with this sale, but I'm on the fence...

skythemusic and whiskers like this.
  9. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    just had a play - in addition to being a progressive vibrato the low velocity is also portamento, so it wouldn't really work for faster passages anyway. So for faster stuff your stuck with immediate heavy vibrato.

whiskers likes this.
  10. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Probably gonna be responsible and pass

dzilizzi, MartinH. and jbuhler like this.
  11. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    If anyone can bear my clumsy music, here's an example of the ASS cello doing something more lyrical and outside of its comfort zone.

brek, MillsMixx, batonruse and 20 others like this.
  12. AJHnob

AJHnob New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Clumsy music? I don't think so! Sounds beautiful.

whiskers and MartinH. like this.
  13. michelsimons

michelsimons Active Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    A most beautiful piece.

sostenuto, whiskers and MartinH. like this.
  14. James H

James H 01001000 01101001

Dec 20, 2018
    UK
    There's a hint of doubt in that...
    I couldn't pass on ASS so it's downloading now. Was @miket post above that tipped me over

whiskers likes this.
  15. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I really didn't plan to listen to the end, but I did anyway because I liked it so much. Reminds me of the exploration tracks in the Skyrim Soundtrack that I've listened to a lot recently. Beautiful!

Nothing against being humble, but when almost everyone regardless of experience prefaces their posted tracks with some kind of self-deprecating disclaimer, it's getting silly. I see many members who do this, not just you.

whiskers likes this.
  16. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Yeah... Fortunately I have Tina Guo Cello.

sostenuto and James H like this.
  17. William Palmer

William Palmer Member

Aug 7, 2018
    London
    This is stunning!

whiskers likes this.
  18. josephspirits

josephspirits Active Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Great thoughts, I've been wondering the same things, but I keep coming back to why they would want to introduce a new product just after pushing a bunch of people to spend money two days before. Maybe the idea is that when people find out about Thunderbolt too late they get excited that they could still get Studio Woodwinds on sale? I don't know, and I don't mind, I like that they are doing more sales. Helps people that may have not had it in their budget around Black Friday/Christmas.

whiskers likes this.
  19. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

It's been a while since I bought a sample library. I was starting to feel ill and get the shakes. Although 180gb is going to rob the Isle of Wight's entire monthly internet bandwidth allocation, I am so excited to finally get my hands on HZ Strings.

MaxOctane likes this.
  20. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Ah, I couldn't resist. And LCO Strings too. Thank you very much Spitfire. :)

whiskers and ism like this.