Something I made with a coffee mug and a minilogue XD

MarcHedenberg

After having acquired various orchestral libraries, I got a bit burned out on composing orchestral music, so I got my hands on a used Minilogue XD and just ...made something different I guess. Also recorded several percussive layers of me whacking my coffee mug with various objects, then mangling the sound through the Soundtoys Effects Rack. The drum kit is just the Damage studio kit - nothing innovative from me on that front.

Had a lot of fun making it.

TGV

Sounds modern and "cinematic" enough, good mix of sounds, but it lacks a bit of development.

OP
M

MarcHedenberg

Felt like it moves into a good Korn vibe. For drums, maybe call up Terry Bozzio? Kiddin'... well done.
Ah you're after my own heart there. I loved Korn when I was a teen...I started having a nostalgia trip listening to a lot of old nu metal bands recently. Maybe that's what inspired me to write that.

Sounds modern and "cinematic" enough, good mix of sounds, but it lacks a bit of development.
I admit in the opening 30 or so seconds and the final minute, I did get a bit lazy with doing more to progress the arrangement. Something I need to get more disciplined about.

Reactions: TGV

Mornats

Hobbyist
I've tried a minillogue XD in a shop a few times and loved it. Felt it had a sound that always appealed to me no matter what I dialed in. How are you finding yours? It sounds great on this.

OP
M

MarcHedenberg

I've tried a minillogue XD in a shop a few times and loved it. Felt it had a sound that always appealed to me no matter what I dialed in. How are you finding yours? It sounds great on this.
So while I don't have a lot of expertise on different hardware synths, I categorically love the Minilogue. I was mainly looking for a more hands-on and tactile experience for creating synth patches because I find most plugins (except maybe Serum) rather uninspiring to work with. In that respect, I got what I wanted and think it sounds great too. A couple of big limitations depending on what you're trying to do to be aware of: 1) It only has 1 LFO (which is to be expected at its price range) and 2) it's 4 voices, which means that often if you're trying to play big chords, the envelope will awkwardly reset - you can easily circumvent this with some reverb and release, but it's something to bear in mind.

I'm just a rookie though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Mornats

Hobbyist
I was mainly looking for a more hands-on and tactile experience for creating synth patches because I find most plugins (except maybe Serum) rather uninspiring to work with.
Same reason here, that's why I was trying them out :) I don't think those limitations matter so much at that price range. If I happen to get one (not likely in near or mid future) and take to it then I'd eye up something like the Novation Summit after that.

It's funny how I gelled with it as most other synths I couldn't get anything more than a crappy bloop out of them. Same with software synths until Massive X came along. I think the timbre of Massive X and the Minilogue XD are similar to my ears.

Once gain, really nice track. Did you record the synth into your DAW for each synthy bit or was some other magic at work? I'm interested in how hardware synths can fit into my workflow.

OP
M

MarcHedenberg

Same reason here, that's why I was trying them out :) I don't think those limitations matter so much at that price range. If I happen to get one (not likely in near or mid future) and take to it then I'd eye up something like the Novation Summit after that.

It's funny how I gelled with it as most other synths I couldn't get anything more than a crappy bloop out of them. Same with software synths until Massive X came along. I think the timbre of Massive X and the Minilogue XD are similar to my ears.

Once gain, really nice track. Did you record the synth into your DAW for each synthy bit or was some other magic at work? I'm interested in how hardware synths can fit into my workflow.
So about 95% of the synth sounds are recorded directly into the DAW, each sound being on two tracks - one MIDI and one audio. The audio track is set to record monitoring off so I can hear the track, but I'm not actually recording anything on the audio track yet, just the MIDI one, if that makes sense. Then once I've made adjustments to the MIDI track, then I re-enable record monitoring on the audio track and record the final audio output there.

There's one saw patch I made in Serum - I just needed more voices and to make it sound 'bigger'. Then there's actually an East West patch from one of their rock guitar libraries. It just helped make the melody a bit fatter. Perhaps I could have gotten around this if I was more technically proficient with synthesis haha. At the moment, I'm just tweaking knobs.

But seriously, thanks a lot.l

Last edited: