What's new

Somebody Concert Grand by Alec Mackay?

Will let you know in a few days. Have bought & downloaded it (2.31GB of 16bit/44.1 WAV files) but am away from my studio until Tuesday. For $15 I thought "why not?" - I like the difference in tone & image across the 4 mics.

Even though it's lightly sampled (5 velocity layers for each mic set) with no separate release samples or pedal noises etc. I like the vintage tone and its not-too-perfect tuning - reminds me of some Latin Jazz piano recordings from the 60's & 70's.

Difficult to find fault with at this price, and the mid and high register of the instrument are actually not bad. The low end however has no power whatsoever — sounds like it’s unable to climb above a limp, muffled mezzo — which limits the type of playing that this instrument is suited for, somewhat. Balance between the low and the high register is a bit off as well, I find (although that is probably also the result of the fact the that low range is so weak.)

Also, it could certainly do with a few more parameters to adjust the response and behaviour of the instrument. (The library isn’t locked though, which means that nearly all the necessary adjustements can be done in Kontakt’s editing window.)

But again, for this price, one can’t really complain. While this is definitely not one of the better sampled Steinways, it does have a character all of its own and if you play it in a way that suits that character (and avoids the library’s limitations), this virtual piano can be quite enjoyable.

If this were a teaser library for a forthcoming product that had twice the velocity layers and much better low octaves, I would be looking forward to that release with interest.

_

Last edited:
OK, some test playing I did this morning - a intro from an old Rickie Lee Jones song. I'm really impressed with this modest sampled piano. Who would have thought a couple of Shure SM57s would work so well on a Steinway Grand?! This example is a mix of the Hammer mics (SM57s) + the Close mics (Neumann TLM103 condensers) + Distant Mic (AEA R-88 stereo ribbon), plus some of the built in EQ, Saturation & the default Reverb.

The length of the samples are fairly short (ranging from 4 sec for upper treble to 15 sec for bass), so you can hear notes fading out/ending in long sustain chords, and there are no separate release samples, but the note-off envelopes work well with the built in reverb to give it a fairly natural sound on note release. I really like the hammer attack tone & overall character of this piano. For $15 you can't go wrong in my opinion. Really happy to have it.

I am thinking about it, love the demo song CGR, what about low end ? Is it weak as re-peat mention above ? By no means I don`t expect thunder for 15$ but at least no whispering :)

I am thinking about it, love the demo song CGR, what about low end ? Is it weak as re-peat mention above ? By no means I don`t expect thunder for 15$ but at least no whispering :)
It's not a thundering VSL Steinway/Hammersmith Pro/Ivory ACD type bass, but after reading re-peat's comment, I expected it to be weaker and was pleasantly surprised it had some grunt when you hit hard.

Hey, it's $15 - probably the best value for money sampled piano around at present in my opinion. The tone has a great vibe to it. The mics each really give a different colour & image/ambience, and as I mentioned above, it's reminiscent of that 60's/70's recorded piano sound I've heard and like.

It's not a thundering VSL Steinway/Hammersmith Pro/Ivory ACD type bass, but after reading re-peat's comment, I expected it to be weaker and was pleasantly surprised it had some grunt when you hit hard.

Hey, it's $15 - probably the best value for money sampled piano around at present in my opinion. The tone has a great vibe to it. The mics each really give a different colour & image/ambience, and as I mentioned above, it's reminiscent of that 60's/70's recorded piano sound I've heard and like.
You convinced me, I will definitely buy it. Thank you and see you later after I play a little.

You convinced me, I will definitely buy it. Thank you and see you later after I play a little.
Have fun with it and post some of your playing if you have the chance. Also, add a touch of the built-in Tape Saturation under the Tone tab - helps add some body without overly compressing it.

Here's https://users.telenet.be/re-peat/Profanity-vs-VintageD.mp3 (<span style="color: rgb(44, 130, 201)"><b>a comparison between the Profanity and the VintageD</b></span>), mostly focusing on the lower range (although there's some mid range staccato playing as well), so you can judge for yourself whether I'm right or wrong about the low end. Three minutes of short fragments, first rendered with the Profanity, followed by the VintageD, both using the exact same midi data.

Other than our thoughts about the bass octaves though (and the suggestion to add tape saturation), I agree with CGR.

_

Here's https://users.telenet.be/re-peat/Profanity-vs-VintageD.mp3 (<span style="color: rgb(44, 130, 201)"><b>a comparison between the Profanity and the VintageD</b></span>), mostly focusing on the lower range (although there's some mid range staccato playing as well), so you can judge for yourself whether I'm right or wrong about the low end. Three minutes of short fragments, first rendered with the Profanity, followed by the VintageD, both using the exact same midi data.

Other than our thoughts about the bass octaves though (and the suggestion to add tape saturation), I agree with CGR.

Interesting comparison - thanks for posting it. The Vintage D does sound more articulate overall, but boy, this Profanity Concert D punches well above it's weight. $15 vs $139 . . .

If this were a teaser library for a forthcoming product that had twice the velocity layers and much better low octaves, I would be looking forward to that release with interest.

Alec mentioned in a reply to me in the Youtube clip comments that he's considering a V2 with more detailed sampling etc. Fingers crossed.

Just listening to the last slow chords section in that demo comparison of re-peats, and I prefer the tone of Profanity Concert Grand. Sounds richer, 'woodier' and more interesting to me.

Ok, I start to play a little and there is a problem. Middle C and F under have audible repeating (echo), double sound on one press, especially in softer velocities. I don`t hear it in other notes but it is not a bad idea for Profanity to check all notes again. Fast update will be very good because this is annoying and simply cut any solo classical passages. Not to forget, reverb is off, no effects. Problem is there with every mic solo or together.

Last edited:
Ok, I start to play a little and there is a problem. Middle C and F under have audible repeating (echo), double sound on one press, especially in softer velocities. I don`t hear it in other notes but it is not a bad idea for Profanity to check all notes again. Fast update will be very good because this is annoying and simply cut any solo classical passages. Not to forget, reverb is off, no effects. Problem is there with every mic solo or together.
Yep, discovered that middle C problem too (didn't hear the F problem). Try this amended .nki I made.
(you may need to point it at the Samples folder when you load it).

Attachments

• ConcertGrand-C4 fix.nki.zip
    30.3 KB · Views: 9
Yep, discovered that middle C problem too (didn't hear the F problem). Try this amended .nki I made.
(you may need to point it at the Samples folder when you load it).
I didn't notice the C and F. It's the Ab above middle C that really bothers me. I am Kontakt challenged, but I would like to delete Ab samples and stretch up or down 1 from the neighboring notes. I know....read the manual, but if somebody would be kind enough to give me the short answer, I would be indebted forever!

I didn't notice the C and F. It's the Ab above middle C that really bothers me. I am Kontakt challenged, but I would like to delete Ab samples and stretch up or down 1 from the neighboring notes. I know....read the manual, but if somebody would be kind enough to give me the short answer, I would be indebted forever!
Try this (you may need to relink to the Samples folder as save the.nki again - see screenshot)

Save nki.png

Attachments

• ConcertGrand-F3-C4-Ab5-fix.nki.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 9
Thanks to all involved in bringing this piano to my attention.... and the fix !
Had to register at VI-Control to download the fix.
But anyway....thank you CGR and others ( including Alec of course).
If not for all these international forums i would have believed that NI Komplete was covering all virtual instruments in the best possible way.
Luckily i read the forums for more than a decade and those have helped me to find niche products and A products that are simply off the radar in most places.

Top Bottom