What's new

Some companies skipping summer sales?

Rey

Did anyone notice that some companies are no longer making summer sales like they use to? Like audio modeling and embertone.
I was waiting to buy some stuffs from them on sale. But nothing so far. Just a hobbyist no point for me buying on full price. Anyone one the same boat?

STec

Yeah me too, I was waiting for a summer sale from Embertone to buy from them, however there is more sales than ever by most developers.

I also try to avoid paying full price, I think the right approach to purchasing libraries is to create a personal wishlist, stack up some saving in the bank, signup to as many newsletter and sales channels as possible (like vi control) and wait 'till your items on your wishlist goes on sale. Of course the peaks are Black Friday, Christmas, Easter and Summer sales.

OP
R

Rey

Embertone had to drop off the scene for a while (https://vi-control.net/community/threads/an-open-letter-to-our-vi-c-friends.84887/) so that might be the reason. They do do Black Friday sales though (or Christmas, I can't recall which), so that's only a couple of months away.

Speaking of missing Summer Sales, why wasn't there a Summer Sale on N Rey? :P
N? I thought you read the 'N'ews. We had to layoff some of our employees N working on a N'ew sampler and webshop. Summer sale will be combined with Black Friday sale bringing us all to the most "Nticipated" sale of the year!!!!! Wooosah!

Lee Blaske

I think the market is going to continue to evolve. Maybe the sales were getting too frequent. In years gone by, there were some developers (I'm thinking of one in particular) that had a big sale every other month. After awhile, I don't think their sales created any excitement.

Still seems like Black Friday sales will remain big, but I wonder how long that will last. Is it best to have your company's sale at the same time as everyone else's? Or, is it better to have your sale when there isn't much competition? Is it better to have your sale happen predictably at the same time(s) every year, or is it better to take people by surprise?

I have seen some developers announce that their products will be sold at the lowest possible price all the time, and that there will be no sales, ever. I wonder how well that works.

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
Well, I still don't own any Valhalla reverbs, though they have been on my list for a while. They don't have sales and I usually buy what's on sale first since the price is going to go up if I don't. As a hobbyist with some money to spend, the sales grab my attention.

I am getting a little more picky. But probably not enough. I actually refrained from buying some things on sale recently. It was hard.

Paul Cardon

Ninja Otter Music
Yeah, there's been a bit of a rush to the edge with how common and substantial sales are in the sample library space. Obviously companies have to compete with each other on pricing and specials, but conditioning an entire customer base to only buy during sales can't be a healthy strategy, right? Sure it's great for getting new customers on the hobby side of things, but is it possible it's also driven down baseline non-sale purchases for regular professional buyers?

I've seen a lot of talk about this exact thing in the game world, and those aren't even required tools for a job, just consumer entertainment. What happens when the perceived value of our tools drops? It's not like libraries are getting any easier to make for the developers.

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
Well, 10 years ago I couldn't afford any of this. But I could afford the ProTools updates (barely and usually a year after they came out) and a secondhand version of Reason. I didn't make a lot of music. So I'm happy with how comparatively inexpensive and usable the current libraries are. I have to assume the abilities of newer computers is what makes this all possible. And I can make music fairly easy now.

DSmolken

I don't like the idea of running sales. Ideally, people would buy things when they need them or want them for a particular use, not when they're on sale. I think it'd be nice to maybe do an intro price for people who are willing to buy something that there's not a lot of opinions about yet, and then once something gets older, lower its price permanently, kind of like clothing stores drop prices on older stuff that's out of season. This goes especially for sounds meant for styles where fashions also change quickly.

But everyone's kind of conditioned to expect sales from most developers, so I'm not gonna set out to fix that.

lp59burst

I'm just a "hobbyist"...
I agree with @DSmolken ... finding a happy medium between affordable price points and still leaving room for the developers to make a living is best for us all.

Continual downward pricing pressure on newly released products has a negative effect on innovation as developers may just go with products and technologies that are selling (profitable) now and are generally less willing to take risks by creating something new and revolutionary that may miss the mark.

OP
R

Rey

Generally speaking here, i think each library is unique rven its just another string s library. I still havent found a time where i think ah this is the best library ever and i m going to delete all the others. It just never happened or woulf be completely wrong. Especially those high end libraries from different vendor or the same vendor, theres time i am going to need that sound and another ah this one fits the mood. Even by little. I agree about lowering the price, but only by small amount. Not like 50 or 70%. Unless the company can really proves that this product is better and will entirely replace the existing ones.never seen that one before. Intro price is great but many will miss that chance either due to short of money at hand during that short introprice, or the most common thing is not even aware of the product due to bring new. Also the gamble of buying new stuffs at intro is alwayss there. Unless a thorough wallkthrough is given, watched and agreed upon by many

TomislavEP

Personally, I welcome the sales in general. As I'm struggling to make a living out of music for years now and also in a country / region that doesn't have a particularly high living standard, I'm certain that I would never be able to purchase at least 80% of what I've bought so far, the software in particular, without the discounts. However I can also say from my own experience that sales also have a negative side. Often when you see a tempting price it's hard to resist thinking "I shouldn't miss this one, who knows when this is going to be on a sale again and with such discount rate". And this can lead to buying on impulse: you can end with a product that you won't be happy with or the one you can do without after all. I've had such situations many times, especially with the software. I've purchased something due to the affordable price only to discover that I already have potentially a better tool in my arsenal. And my music software collection, including the virtual instruments and sample libraries, is nowhere as extensive as the ones the many people around here seem to have. Lately, I've been skipping the sales / deals more then ever before and trying to buy only what I'm really missing.

Top Bottom