What's new

[Solved] Where to put the Keyboard?

holzlag0r

Hello,
where do you put your masterkeyboard?

I have seen a lots of setups where the masterkeyboard is under the desk, but this is not possible for me, since my desk is rather low and if I would put a 10cm keyboard there, my knees wouldnt fit there anymore.

Another option I have seen is to put it on top of the desk, in front or behind the (computer) keyboard. I tried to do something like that too, but when I do that, my (computer) keyboard is like 1/2 past the edge of the desk and I can't move my mouse more than a few centimetres, or I can't reach my (computer) keyboard comfortably because the masterkeyboard would be too high.

The only thing I can see working for me is putting and X or Z keyboard stand next to me - or a keyboard table. But then I dont have my computer in front of me while recoding and I have to turn around all the time.

Maybe somebody has a solution for me?
Thank you.

Some options / ideas:

1. Mouse and computer keyboard on top of the piano keyboard.
2. Have a little side desk for the mouse.
3. Attach a trackball to your armrest.
4. Use the mouse on your upper leg (I do that often).

Another idea: buy an x-stand, attach furniture casters. This way you can lower the stand and roll the piano under the desk when you don't need it.

Some more ideas are discussed here:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2010693/Pull_out_Stands_for_Digital_Pi.html (https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre ... al_Pi.html)

Re: Where to put the Keyboard?

The bottom line is that both the computer keyboard and MIDI keyboard should be in roughly the same place for ergonomic purposes. Which gets the best position depends on your preferences and how much you use each.

My solution, such that it is, is a bit of redundancy. For comfortable keyboard/mouse use, I have a keyboard tray at a nice low level in front of my iMac's main screen. On the desk above the tray I have a small MIDI keyboard (an Axiom 25, to be replaced eventually). At a right angle, I have my 88-key controller (a Kawai MP11), which can fit a keyboard, trackpad, and mouse on the top of it. Just behind the MP11 is another monitor. Depending on whether I'm doing more mouse/computer keyboard work or more MIDI keyboard work, I choose one setup or the other. Switching is just a matter right clicking on Logic and going to Option -> Desktop on Display X.

Computer monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. are cheap. If you've got the space, it's a nice setup with fewer tradeoffs. One tradeoff is that you have to either have two sets of monitors or prefer to listen in one configuration or the other. I looked through probably hundreds of studio setups (there were a few huge gearslutz threads) and it was clear that there was no perfect solution for this.

Proxima opined:
"The bottom line is that both the computer keyboard and MIDI keyboard should be in roughly the same place for ergonomic purposes."

And therein lies the rub. It fascinates me that no one has built a MIDI keyboard with a built in computer keyboard... but if they did my guess is it would still be wrong for more folks than it is right<G>!

I've done the mouse or trackball on my leg bit, it is not optimal.

Right now I have my computer keyboard sitting on top of my master keyboard, and a mouse pad (or trackball) sitting on the upper octave of the keys. Still sub-optimal, but less strain on my arm.

I am still playing around with different arrangements, and I'll built a permanent solution when I find the least annoying solution<G>!

FWIW, I still use two MIDI controllers - a Roland/Rhodes MK-80 88 key, weighted action because I like it's weighted action, and either an Ensoniq EPS (classic) or an Oberheim xK for an unweighted action. I'd love to ditch the later, but there are some things that are just easier to play on an unweighted action.

AND, I dislike the Roland mod joystick, and I'm not a big fan of the Oberheim mod paddle - both have spring returns. I much prefer the Ensoniq wheel. That too is solvable.

Hello,
where do you put your masterkeyboard?

I have seen a lots of setups where the masterkeyboard is under the desk, but this is not possible for me, since my desk is rather low and if I would put a 10cm keyboard there, my knees wouldnt fit there anymore.

Another option I have seen is to put it on top of the desk, in front or behind the (computer) keyboard. I tried to do something like that too, but when I do that, my (computer) keyboard is like 1/2 past the edge of the desk and I can't move my mouse more than a few centimetres, or I can't reach my (computer) keyboard comfortably because the masterkeyboard would be too high.

The only thing I can see working for me is putting and X or Z keyboard stand next to me - or a keyboard table. But then I dont have my computer in front of me while recoding and I have to turn around all the time.

Maybe somebody has a solution for me?
Thank you.

I'm in the same camp as you. It's really a pain atm.

I have an 88 note keyboard on a very solid stand (that doesn't move around at all) to my left as I look at the monitor screen. I don't like these big ready made desks you see that are supposed to be some sort of workstation. They seem and look cumbersome.

I am waiting to change my computer to an iMac hopefully one day and when I do, I will change my desk that the monitor, MCU PRO, mouse and computer keyboard are on and get one where I can slot the keyboard and it's stand in underneath.

I think having everything in front of you instead of twisting around all the time is a much better way of going forward.

I've done the mouse or trackball on my leg bit, it is not optimal.

I found out that mousing on the leg works much better with trousers on, haha. And actually right now I am typing with the (asdl) keyboard in my lap.

Actually I used to have a huge desk plate but found that unfortunate acoustically, so I reduced it all to a very stable (piano) keyboard stand and a small side desk for telephone, graphical tablet and light. Minimal. Mouse and (asdl) keyboard are sitting on top of the (piano) keyboard but I handle them freely according to the situation because I very much dislike working bent forward.

EDIT Actually I have a number of keyboard and mouse sets distributed across the room and do input from several places, that turned out to be practical for me.

If you are into building custom furniture I have a solution that works well, which is to place the music keyboard just behind the computer keyboard but sink it down into the desk so they are almost flush with each other. You wouldn't have to do this with all keyboards but mine is a massive Motif XF8 which really doesn't give another option (you really can't place anything on top of it). I sunk it down into the desk a good 3 inches so that between computer and music keyboards my hands barely have to move.

It would be similar to putting your music keyboard at the front of the desk, then getting a pullout computer keyboard tray that not only pulls out but then rises up to make it flush. They make these, but I find they don't rise up enough and are not that stable.

In my last studio I made a really really cheap desk with this design. Just a bunch of wood and nails and painted the whole thing black, it was ugly but super functional. In my current studio I had a pro do the build, but same design. It really works well for someone who has battled carpal tunnel and back pain for years (been getting better since I switched to this design).

EDIT: Here is a very crude drawing of such a desk. It's 5 pieces: 2 racks on each side, a higher front shelf for keyboard/mouse, a lower back shelf for music keyboard, and a top piece (attach monitor arms to back of top piece to bring monitors out and sitting over music keyboard).

EDIT again: oops made the dumb graphic much smaller.

Attachments

• desk.png
    desk.png
    2 KB · Views: 1,722

It depends on how you work. If you're a "play it in" composer then you probably spend a lot of time using the MIDI keyboard. If not then you spend the vast majority of your time *not* using the MIDI keyboard.

If you're the latter then it makes sense to move the MIDI keyboard to the side and keep it out of the way. I use that setup and have a second monitor above the MIDI keyboard that duplicates the project monitor so I can control record/playback, select tracks, adjust VI's, etc. My MIDI keyboard is an S90ES and the computer keyboard fits nicely over the keyboard controls (which I don't use). To the left is a Novation Zero controller and to the right is the mouse. Computer keyboard and mouse are wireless so I just pick them up and move them over when I need to access the MIDI keyboard.

That setup works for me because I spend only about 5% of my time actually playing the MIDI keyboard. If I had it in front of me, it would be cumbersome to use the computer keyboard and mouse: if the MIDI keyboard is in the right spot, everything else is hard to get to. If the computer keyboard is in the right spot, then the MIDI keyboard keeps knocking my knees and thighs.

rgames

Nice to have Ikea a hour away 8)

4097ee86-7ad7-465c-baa5-cf5e44b5119e_zpsa0057329.jpg

Alright, thanks everyone so far.
Im really happy with the forum!

So... Here is my desk + a very old keyboard:

Sorry for the terrible quality. Camera is broken.

It is about the same size as the Impulse 61, which is: 102cm*33cm*10cm

The desk is about 72cm high. So the keys are at about 78cm.
Thats personally a bit too high in my opinion.
Also, writing on the keyboard is somewhat uncomfortably...
I would not rename my tracks anymore I guess.
For writing longer texts and so on I would probably just disconnect the keyboard.

I dont really want to use a drawer for the keyboard and mouse.
A friend of mine has it like that - it's nothing for me with almost
no space for the mouse and unstable keyboard. But yes, it would work...
Same goes for the solution with the mouse on the upper legs.

For any solution with the midi keyboard beneath the table: It does not fit.
The distance between the two sides of the desk (don't know how they are called)
is too small. Only about 2cm more and it would fit.

The plexiglass would not work for me, since my keyboard has a depth of 33cm with knobs and faders.

Thanks chillbot for the amazing drawing, but I dont have the money or the skills to get a selfmade desk. :cry:

I guess the problem is that I want to have my computer keyboard and my midi keyboard directly in front of me, at the same place. Which is of course not possible.

Hmm, I dont know what to do...
I would really like to have a setup like Giant_Shadow's, but I can't because my computer is not only for composing purposes.

I guess I'll have to put my keyboard on a X or Z stand, or maybe a keyboard table.
But maybe I you can still find a solution that's working for me... :wink:

I dont really want to use a drawer for the keyboard and mouse.
A friend of mine has it like that - it's nothing for me with almost
no space for the mouse and unstable keyboard. But yes, it would work...
Same goes for the solution with the mouse on the upper legs.
You can add a large keyboard/mouse tray and have the tray be quite stable by buying the right model. In the past, I've had something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valencia-Series-U ... board+tray

There are also metal versions:

https://www.amazon.com/4028P-Underdesk-O ... board+tray

but basically, something wide enough for both keyboard and mouse on the same drawer and supported by both sides.

Here's my approach...

https://i.imgur.com/oDx72Ex.gif

I couldn't live with a static layout and didn't want a drawer under the desk, so in the end I mounted a lightweight MIDI keyboard on a couple of slides.
Can you please send me a version of the gif where I can see more? I'm really interested in how that looks!

@proxima: Hmm, thank you, maybe I could try it out. But for now I'm searching for other solutions, maybe I'll come back to it later!

Ahhh yes, this is one of the great ergonomic dilemmas of keyboard+keyboard. I'm still trying to figure it out and am building a new desk soon. Right now, this is how I have mine set up.

It works ok, but the piano keyboard is too high and too far away to be comfortable. Honestly, I don't know that there is a perfect answer to this. You'll probably have to accept that both ways are going to have a major fault.

The idea of dropping the piano keyboard down a few inches to make it level with the computer keyboard is a good one. But I think you still have to reach too far to access the piano keys.

Good luck; let us know if you find a working solution.

Mahlon

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,568
  • photo_02.JPG
    photo_02.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,557

Here's my approach...

https://i.imgur.com/oDx72Ex.gif

I couldn't live with a static layout and didn't want a drawer under the desk, so in the end I mounted a lightweight MIDI keyboard on a couple of slides.
Can you please send me a version of the gif where I can see more? I'm really interested in how that looks!

Here's a photo of one of the slides:

https://i.imgur.com/1QeDuQH.jpg

The keyboard is bolted onto a flat steel bar which connects the two slides.

Top Bottom