What's new

Solos of the sea – solo violin a or joshua bell violin

Everything that you hear in the "Solos of the sea" can be played with Best Service Emotional Violin, with a LOT more options!!...

That's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

But one major difference is that the JB has 4 dynamic layers (pp - ff) to the SoS single layer ~ mf.

So an easy calculation is: if you need to write anything with significantly expressive dynamics, its going to have to be the JB.

For solo of the sea, it's depends of your music but for romantic solo lead, this is an amazing instrument. It sound very natural and you can really play it instinctively. This is always my first choice.

Take a view of Virharmic's Bohemian Violin please.The library is my favourite solo violin library for it's easy to play on a midi keyboard.
DJ recently used the Bohemian violin on twitch and it does sound amazing.

I think a person needs to listen to the options a make a decision on what sort of sound they want to hear. Some of the libraries are mic'ed to get a very aggressive modern sound. That may, or may not be what you personally like or want on your piece.

The key thing is that each sampled violin is, by design, designed to excel at different types of phrases. There are sever trade offs to be made in creating a lib that excels at one or the other type.

This is how I picture it:

9609E090-9C8F-42A8-A04F-0CADA9CDA2E6.jpeg

The implication of this is that to make a decision, you need to not just listen to demos to hear how great they sound, you need to understand the nature of the sweet spot in which the demo is written.

Last edited:
This is how I picture it:

The implication of this is that to make a decision, you need to not just listen to demos to hear how great the sound, you need to understand the nature of the sweet spot in which the demo is writen.

Ha, great diagram... and based on my limited experience so far, so very true.

two totally different libraries. Only similarity is that they are both solo violins, but serve very different purposes. SOS is a quick sketching solo violin that has a very low footprint and can also be left as your final violin if legato or sustains are the only articulation you need. if you want more articulations above that, then this is not for you...JB is better. Now sound wise, I LOVE PS' sound...they have a warm, rich tone which other libraries don't have, and the playability is superb...but just limited.

They are also very different prices. if you need an all-in-one solo violin, get JB...if you want a very playable, easy to use legato patch, get SOS. Nothing more to really say other than that. Choose wisely.. LOL

I think a person needs to listen to the options a make a decision on what sort of sound they want to hear. Some of the libraries are mic'ed to get a very aggressive modern sound. That may, or may not be what you personally like or want on your piece.
I think this is the best quote in 2019.

Top Bottom