What's new

Solo woodwinds for orchestral music?

So Berlin Woodwinds wont be able to create a nice ensemble patch eh. Then i'll wait for CSW.

I am currently using BWW Revive. I don't create an ensemble patch by loading up the different instruments together. I load up the instruments on individual tracks and program them individually. This way I can program humanization into them (sometimes you have to make quite a bit of difference between the parts to get them to sound less robotic), EQ, and position them in a way that suits my needs.

But I do a lot of a2/3 orchestration as I'm currently writing action music and the volume/sound I'm looking for demands it. I think people overthink this stuff way too much. It works fine. Nobody, including my publisher or working professionals who have heard my mockups, have complained about my woodwinds not sounding like a real ensemble patch.

I'm totally going to buy CSW when it comes out, though. Because ensemble patches, and also just different woodwinds in general. If you aren't in dire need of woodwinds, I wouldn't get BWW until they inevitably do their next sale, which I would think is almost guaranteed. I definitely felt the pang of overspending when it suddenly went 40% off...

I am currently using BWW Revive. I don't create an ensemble patch by loading up the different instruments together. I load up the instruments on individual tracks and program them individually. This way I can program humanization into them (sometimes you have to make quite a bit of difference between the parts to get them to sound less robotic), EQ, and position them in a way that suits my needs.

But I do a lot of a2/3 orchestration as I'm currently writing action music and the volume/sound I'm looking for demands it. I think people overthink this stuff way too much. It works fine. Nobody, including my publisher or working professionals who have heard my mockups, have complained about my woodwinds not sounding like a real ensemble patch.

I'm totally going to buy CSW when it comes out, though. Because ensemble patches, and also just different woodwinds in general. If you aren't in dire need of woodwinds, I wouldn't get BWW until they inevitably do their next sale, which I would think is almost guaranteed. I definitely felt the pang of overspending when it suddenly went 40% off...

Bww are the only woodwind libraries I would still buy, and I already have EWHW, Hein, and SStW. I'd love to hear how great they go with the Arks.

Bww are the only woodwind libraries I would still buy, and I already have EWHW, Hein, and SStW. I'd love to hear how great they go with the Arks.

This piece was one of the first things I wrote after picking up a few libraries. It is a combination of BWW Revive, Ark 1 brass, Berlin Percussion and Ark 3 Percussion (mostly Ark 3 percussion), Spitfire concert grand, and CSS.

Do the Berlin expansions require a base library? Can someone who owns no Berlin libraries just buy the EXP A and B and they'll work fine?

Thanks, I understand what you mean now. If Auddict were to offer their flute as a standalone product, I would have my eye on that.

It started as standalone initially. Once they've released the rest, they became as a bundle.

Technically, you can still get the flute standalone, but it's quite expensive for a single instrument (100 GBP or 127 USD):

https://www.kontakthub.com/product/MSW-Solo-Flute/

For roughly the same amount of dough you can get one of the Berlin solo packages on sale now or 8dio's new product on intro offer. So... tough sell, to me, unless you just love the sound of it. (In which case, follow your bliss!)

Technically, you can still get the flute standalone, but it's quite expensive for a single instrument (100 GBP or 127 USD):

https://www.kontakthub.com/product/MSW-Solo-Flute/

For roughly the same amount of dough you can get one of the Berlin solo packages on sale now or 8dio's new product on intro offer. So... tough sell, to me, unless you just love the sound of it. (In which case, follow your bliss!)

oh wow. I didn't know about it !! I asked Auddict and they said only bundle. That's why i bought the bundle. Oboe isn't that nicely sampled though. Piccolo certain mic would need to be handled with extra care. Flute, Clarinet and Bassoon seems better in terms of consistency.

Infinite Woodwinds is out so worth checking it out for a number of posters here. You might find it does the trick nicely.
To be completely blunt and honest, most of the instruments in those demos sounded like cheap synth patches to me. I think I'll hold out for CSW on this one.

To be completely blunt and honest, most of the instruments in those demos sounded like cheap synth patches to me. I think I'll hold out for CSW on this one.
I felt that a bit too. The opening of Rite of Spring sounded more like a harmonica to me than a bassoon. I didn't continue after that.

I wish we had more of an indication when CSW was coming out. It's hard to hold out for an undetermined amount of time.

I felt that a bit too. The opening of Rite of Spring sounded more like a harmonica to me than a bassoon. I didn't continue after that.

I wish we had more of an indication when CSW was coming out. It's hard to hold out for an undetermined amount of time.
I've been assuming Q4 this year, same time as CSB, because I read somewhere that the actual samples for CSB and CSW were recorded around the same time. If that is the case, then we should expect an announcement around November as that's when CSB was announced last year.

I've been assuming Q4 this year, same time as CSB, because I read somewhere that the actual samples for CSB and CSW were recorded around the same time. If that is the case, then we should expect an announcement around November as that's when CSB was announced last year.

Time flies. July is coming. So wait and then decide which suites you. Infinite woodwinds synthy ??? I think it sounds quite good and the function which allows you to position your instruments is pretty neat too if you dont have those positioning plugins.

just listened to this:

I purchased already the clarinet (and love it) .. now I instantly had to hit the purchase button to buy that oboe . what a wonderful sound

ok, Ennio Morricone helped as well in that decision

Do you guys think CSW will include Bass Clarinet and English Horn? Debating whether or not to buy the Berlin Woodwind Expansions A+B while on sale, but not sure if I should just wait for CSW.

Do you guys think CSW will include Bass Clarinet and English Horn? Debating whether or not to buy the Berlin Woodwind Expansions A+B while on sale, but not sure if I should just wait for CSW.
I don't know what instruments CSW will include so I can't speak to BWW Exp A, but I am guessing that BWW Exp B will not overlap too much with CSW because it is meant for exposed solo writing and CSW is meant to blend, so they will complement each other rather than overlap.

I don't know what instruments CSW will include so I can't speak to BWW Exp A, but I am guessing that BWW Exp B will not overlap too much with CSW because it is meant for exposed solo writing and CSW is meant to blend, so they will complement each other rather than overlap.

Yeah, I think that's why I'm on the fence right now. Basically, I have Cinewinds Core that covers my basic Woodwind needs. But I have no English Horn or Bass Clarinet and figured that maybe Berlin Expansions would be a nice addition to Cinewinds. Not sure, though.

Yeah, I think that's why I'm on the fence right now. Basically, I have Cinewinds Core that covers my basic Woodwind needs. But I have no English Horn or Bass Clarinet and figured that maybe Berlin Expansions would be a nice addition to Cinewinds. Not sure, though.
I believe you can purchase individual winds from VSL and sometime by the end of 2019 you'll be able to do the same for Orchestral Tools, so you could wait and see. That is if you want english horn and bass clarinet for general blending-with-the-orchestra use. You'd probably want the english horn from Revive, not from Exp B.

If you want something to stand out for an exposed solo rather than blend, get BWW Exp B (and C for bass clarinet), as that is something I'm guessing Cinematic Studio Winds won't be designed to excel at.

Top Bottom