What's new

Solo Vocals

BenG

Looking to add some solo vocals to my library and wanted to get some opinions first! The three options seems to be...

- Ethera EVI ($75 currently)
- Hangar 4
- Shevannai

Are they all comparable or does one lib stand above the rest?

I own all three of those libraries.
Each one is very good.
My preference is Ethera EVI.
I think it is not only the best value,
you also get a ton of additional content,
and even though I have heard many heralding the legato
in Hangar 4 as the best out there, I still prefer the True Legato patches in Ethera EVI.

• There's also ERA II's Vocal Codex.
  • Eastwest is coming with a Voices of Opera this winter -- January, Febuary? -- which consists of a solo soprano and solo tenor.
  • Organic Voices vol. 1: Solo Opera by Organic Samples is only €30 right now.
  • Soundiron has a similar library, Voice of Rapture: Soprano, but is $119.
  • And then there's always Clare Solo by Ivy Audio, which is really good and really free. :)

Last edited:
Looking to add some solo vocals to my library and wanted to get some opinions first! The three options seems to be...

- Ethera EVI ($75 currently)
- Hangar 4
- Shevannai

Are they all comparable or does one lib stand above the rest?

By the way, it might be good to know if you are searching for more classical or more ethnic vocals.

By the way, it might be good to know if you are searching for more classical or more ethnic vocals.
Second this. In choosing a solo voice library, determining the style of singing is critical, as they are really all quite different and few are versatile across different genres.

If you happen to be looking for a classical, operatic sound, the Voices of Rapture are good (alto and tenor being particularly well-done). I also like 8dio Jenifer for a classical (but less operatic) aesthetic.

Second this. In choosing a solo voice library, determining the style of singing is critical, as they are really all quite different and few are versatile across different genres.

If you happen to be looking for a classical, operatic sound, the Voices of Rapture are good (alto and tenor being particularly well-done). I also like 8dio Jenifer for a classical (but less operatic) aesthetic.

Good point! I'm looking for something more 'Epic/Trailer' and am trying to decide between Hangar 4, Ethera and Shevennai.

My recommendation: Pay a real singer. I got the most vocal libraries for solists out there and have to say that not one single library really totally convinced me. They all have one or 2 good aspects. But in the end you wont be able to really nail it. So if you really needed a solo voice track go to someone who has talent (e.g. Celica Soldream, Elspeth Eastman, Hania Lee) and ask them for the price. As the result of taking a real solist the complete track will really be on a totally different level. I am a big fan of virtual choirs and also have to admit that the solo vsts are not bad. But they are all far from being convincing IMO.

My recommendation: Pay a real singer. I got the most vocal libraries for solists out there and have to say that not one single library really totally convinced me. They all have one or 2 good aspects. But in the end you wont be able to really nail it. So if you really needed a solo voice track go to someone who has talent (e.g. Celica Soldream, Elspeth Eastman, Hania Lee) and ask them for the price. As the result of taking a real solist the complete track will really be on a totally different level. I am a big fan of virtual choirs and also have to admit that the solo vsts are not bad. But they are all far from being convincing IMO.

100% agree to your recommendation

VIs are perfect for orchestras, choirs and other ensembles which you cannot afford or organize as real musicians but they cannot replace the human touch of a real singer (at least for now...).

TH Studios Production Vandria sounds pretty marvellous. It's on Kontakt Hub. Not sure how successful the legato is but worth a look at least.

Thanks for this, Chris! Generally always agree with hiring live, however I'm just starting to get into some more 'epic' style productions and am not looking to release anything 'professional' as of yet. Once I hone my skills some more, I will definitely be looking at hiring some actual musicians!

Hi ,

Just some example of Ethera EVI 2.0 !

Maybe can be help for you !

Bye

Ste

+1 for EVI 2.0 @BenG . The thing is amazing! It's worth it for the vocals alone, but it's got a ton of other synth and instruments in there.

That being said, Clara has a super nice voice, sings in a variety of ethereal/cinematic styles, the legato and articulations are just amazing.

@StefanoM That last ethera vid was freaking awesome! Particularly the end credits! :).

@BenG I would also recommend Ethera. Tons of great content. And first time buyers/ subscribers on the Zero-G website get 15 bucks off (sign up and newsletter kind of deal).

Last edited:
I'm a complete sucker for all fantasy, so Shevannai is my favourite any day.
However, for trailer-type stuff I strongly suggest Ethera and Organic Voices' Ethnic Inspiration. Shevannai is way too "fragile" and light voice for bold lines, unless you want to calm the music for a while and need something more ethereal. Otherwise go for Ethera if you ask me.

Top Bottom