What's new

Solo Vocals

I own all the Ethera libraries and love them. I also own numerous other female vocal libraries, of differing types.

But the best legato I own is Organic Voices' Solo Opera Legato, which is on sale now for 30 euros. There may be better female vocal legatos, but I doubt you'll find one this good for 30 euros. You might want to check it out.

It's sung by the same young woman, Ekaterina Mamysheva, who sings Organic Voices' Ethnic Inspiration.

Joined because this thread is exactly what I'm asking in vocal libs.
Starting to wish I didn't... well my wallet is!

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but the vocals from Audio Imperia's Jaeger are awesome, in my opinion. Now granted, it's not a standalone vocal library, but the articulations are a lot of fun!

Lyrical Vocal Phrases is on sale now, it seems: Sonuscore offers a 40€ voucher on everything at the moment - the vocal phrases in this lib are incredibly beautiful! It contains only phrases and no legato instrument. But if it is about cinematic or ethnic trailer phrases, this maybe the most beautiful.

Be aware that these phrases are all lyrical and not loud.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Leaning towards Ethera and will also check out the cool free 'Clare Solo' library, which I wasn't aware of!

Thanks again everyone!

• There's also ERA II's Vocal Codex.
  • Eastwest is coming with a Voices of Opera this winter -- January, Febuary? -- which consists of a solo soprano and solo tenor.
  • Organic Voices vol. 1: Solo Opera by Organic Samples is only €30 right now.
  • Soundiron has a similar library, Voice of Rapture: Soprano, but is $119.
  • And then there's always Clare Solo by Ivy Audio, which is really good and really free. :)

Claire solo's great!

100% agree to your recommendation

VIs are perfect for orchestras, choirs and other ensembles which you cannot afford or organize as real musicians but they cannot replace the human touch of a real singer (at least for now...).

I agree - I've just used Claire to sketch the vocal line in a demo project, but the final version was recorded live

Yes, pay a real singer would definitely be the best option, as long as you know a good one who is affordable. Thus, you can decide 100% of the material, notes and syllables, and you can experiment a little or let the singer improvise over your track. Recording always rules!

Hi Guys,

I think I can talk about this aspect.

And I do not speak as the developer of Ethera but as a sound designer and composer. Record with a real singer is obviously better, I'm lucky to have the "real" Clara when I need a live session (even though she works remotely). But I think having a Vocal sample library is useful. There are so many situations, for example, that a Vocal Phrase ready for use can help to inspire. Or when you are delivering a Trailer or a Documentary..... in no time and a vocal contribution is necessary and you do not have time to organize a recording session, or simple to do sound design...or sound branding.
In short, there are many reasons to have in your template 1 or more Vocal Libraries. When I work at FOX TV or for National Geographic , I have to deliver a job a day..., and I often use Ethera for example when I have to put a voice in a short time, but having a great quality (there is a lot of other material in EVI that I Use..., of course, but now we are talking about voice ). So for me yes ... it's still necessary, I could not do without it.

When it is possible and there is a budget ... certainly working remotely or in studio with a singer is better. But it is the same with a Solo violin, Solo Horn, Solo Guitar.. etc etc.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
"Just hire a musician" is kind of one of my pet peeves lol i consider it off topic in every situation here. Costs as much as a very good sample library per project, one-time use, and a lot of us are hobbyists doing it just for ourselves and not for profit, or we're looking for something to give us inspiration, or it's for sound design, etc. It's also a totally different topic from the forum itself. We all know, in every situation, that a live musician will be better. That's a given. We're here to discuss something different.

Anyway back on topic, I'm trying out several options from this very useful thread right as we speak and I'll certainly update everyone here with my thoughts!

Yes, agreed, in this forum it is definitely about libs and not about the fact that recording is more likable.

Furthermore, speaking about quality - the libs out here offer really great and special talent and extraordinary singers are contributing their impros. I own Lyrical Vocal Phrases and of course I don't know any singer personally that is able to sing half as beautiful as their singer Conny Kollet - she was e.g. hired for big games like Elder Scrolls Online. So, whenever I want to enrich my tracks with a really astonishing voice, I use these phrases and don't hire a singer.

The singer in Shevannai is also great, maybe a little bit too soft for my taste, but her voice is beautiful, too!

I don't own Ethera, but I am sure they have recorded fantastic voices as well! Also we have to keep that in mind that the Libs were all recorded very well and crystal clear, with best gear - at least I hope so;)

Yes, agreed, in this forum it is definitely about libs and not about the fact that recording is more likable.

Furthermore, speaking about quality - the libs out here offer really great and special talent and extraordinary singers are contributing their impros.

I don't own Ethera, but I am sure they have recorded fantastic voices as well! Also we have to keep that in mind that the Libs were all recorded very well and crystal clear, with best gear - at least I hope so;)

Exactly. I very much agree. Both for the Talent and for the high-level gear and outboards.

Again, thank you for all of the suggestions and it has definitely opened my eyes to some libraries I wasn't aware of! After reviewing a bunch of these libs, we really seemed to be spoiled for choice. IMHO all of these libraries sound amazing, not good, amazing. Here is a little test with the FREE library from Ivy Audio...(Vocals at :44)

Regarding "live vs. samples", I think this is a really interesting topic and always requires a bit of background such as: "What's your intention, level, purpose, etc." In my case, I was hoping to gain some more experience writing traditionally 'epic/trailer' music which features solo vocals often! In my case, I was hoping to learn about an instrument I know nothing about and practice! :)

Again, thank you for all of the suggestions and it has definitely opened my eyes to some libraries I wasn't aware of! After reviewing a bunch of these libs, we really seemed to be spoiled for choice. IMHO all of these libraries sound amazing, not good, amazing. Here is a little test with the FREE library from Ivy Audio...(Vocals at :44)

Regarding "live vs. samples", I think this is a really interesting topic and always requires a bit of background such as: "What's your intention, level, purpose, etc." In my case, I was hoping to gain some more experience writing traditionally 'epic/trailer' music which features solo vocals often! In my case, I was hoping to learn about an instrument I know nothing about and practice! :)

Great example! I've found the Ivy library to have some rough spots but in context it seems to sound pretty good

Of the three you mentioned I only own Shevannai. It's a great library but personally I'd suggest you look into ERA: Vocal Codex (also by Eduardo Tarilonte). It has 4 different soloists that have varying degree of quality/robustness/usefulness. The real star of that show is the "Celtia" solist which IMO is fantastic and one of the best female soloist VIs I've heard. I use it all the time. The "medieval tenor" and "heroica" soloists are also quite nice and useful though their uses are a bit more niche IMO. Meanwhile the "bard" is the odd one out which I've actually never used in a track.

Here's a wonderful demo of Celtia:

I own all the Ethera libraries and love them. I also own numerous other female vocal libraries, of differing types.

But the best legato I own is Organic Voices' Solo Opera Legato, which is on sale now for 30 euros. There may be better female vocal legatos, but I doubt you'll find one this good for 30 euros. You might want to check it out.

It's sung by the same young woman, Ekaterina Mamysheva, who sings Organic Voices' Ethnic Inspiration.

Just to add my two cents here, I really like the Organic Samples stuff. It’s by no means deep sampled, and you only get one syllable - “ah” - but it’s incredible at what it is. I have a friend who is studying opera in grad school and she was really impressed with it, which is high praise!

I posted this on another thread earlier, but here’s a little track I wrote up using some Spitfire stuff, Ark 1, and the Organic Samples solo opera, just to give you a contextual example of how it sounds and where it really can shine.

Top Bottom